Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Wax in the fur; a simple solution

Discussion in 'Grooming & General Cat Care' started by chinadoll, May 30, 2015.

1. chinadoll

chinadoll Thread Starter TCS Member Young Cat

Sep 27, 2010
    Florida
    Jason Bond and I were cuddling on the recliner (as we do every night) and I got up to grab something to drink. When I came back he was long gone from the room. I tuned into my TV show and at the next commercial called for him. He came running over and the first thing I noticed was how puffed up he was. The second thing I realized was that something was majorly wrong with his tail.  I nearly had a heart attack when I saw no hair and what looked like pink, very irritated skin. For a 10 minute time frame out of my sight, he seemed to have managed to cause quite a bit ot damage to his tail.  I did smell his tail in case he somehow got a chemical burn because honestly, what in the world was going on here!? I realized his tail smelled like the Scentsy wax candle-less burners that are supposed to be non-toxic for cats- which is why we got them in the first place. Jason had managed to soak his tail in scented pink wax.  It dried quickly and was hard as a rock, wrapping completely around his tail.  If you ever find yourself in a waxy-predicament then this may be helpful. 

Before: 

Step 1. Soak the fur with warm (but not hot) wet wash cloth. 

Step 2. Gently use a flea-comb to brush out the wax. It should be soft enough to come free without pulling fur out with it- if you're pulling fur then it needs to be soaked longer. 

After: 

2. red top rescue

red top rescue TCS Member Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Acworth GA, USA
    Thanks for sharing that. I'm sure there will be others in that situation who will need it in the future!

3. MoochNNoodles

MoochNNoodles TCS Member Veteran

Apr 30, 2005
    Where my cats are
    Wow! Poor kitty!

Thank you for sharing! I know a lot of people who use those warmers (myself included; just not often). I keep mind on my kitchen aid or the counter; but cats are so agile even those places are no guarantee they won't find themselves in a similar predicament someday!