Wax in the fur; a simple solution

chinadoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jason Bond and I were cuddling on the recliner (as we do every night) and I got up to grab something to drink. When I came back he was long gone from the room. I tuned into my TV show and at the next commercial called for him. He came running over and the first thing I noticed was how puffed up he was. The second thing I realized was that something was majorly wrong with his tail.  I nearly had a heart attack when I saw no hair and what looked like pink, very irritated skin. For a 10 minute time frame out of my sight, he seemed to have managed to cause quite a bit ot damage to his tail.  I did smell his tail in case he somehow got a chemical burn because honestly, what in the world was going on here!? I realized his tail smelled like the Scentsy wax candle-less burners that are supposed to be non-toxic for cats- which is why we got them in the first place. Jason had managed to soak his tail in scented pink wax.  It dried quickly and was hard as a rock, wrapping completely around his tail.  If you ever find yourself in a waxy-predicament then this may be helpful. 

Before: 

Step 1. Soak the fur with warm (but not hot) wet wash cloth. 

Step 2. Gently use a flea-comb to brush out the wax. It should be soft enough to come free without pulling fur out with it- if you're pulling fur then it needs to be soaked longer. 

After: 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! Poor kitty!

Thank you for sharing! I know a lot of people who use those warmers (myself included; just not often). I keep mind on my kitchen aid or the counter; but cats are so agile even those places are no guarantee they won't find themselves in a similar predicament someday!