Water question

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everybody:
I have my cat Lucas eating canned food only, in fact since hes's been vomiting every night for the last couple of days I'm feeding him hills z/d because it always helps him. The thing is he doesn't want to drink water,I mean, I always add water to the canned food because he likes it, but he hasn't been drinking from his water bowl in days and I'm getting worried.
I know cats who eag wet food don't drink as much water as cats who eat dry food, but he is supposed to drink his water. He is hating it, I put the bowl in front of him and he leaves,.
I took him to the vet last week because he keeps acting like is painful to swallow.
Please let me know how much your cats (the ones who eat wrt food only) drink.
Thanks!

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can I ask what the Hill's food is supposed to be helping with? I'm more concerned with the vomiting every night. 

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are on wet food only and I rarely see them drink from the bowl. Not even once a week. They pee a lot  just from the wet food.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats who eat canned food don't drink water. They don't have to because there's plenty in the food (especially if you add extra water!). So that part I'm not worried about. Vomiting every day is a bad sign though. And acting like it hurts to swallow. What did the vet say?

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have his throat Xrayed to make sure every thing is fine and Hills has grain in it he might be allergic to the grain in the wet you could try to give him a no grain wet for a while to see what happeneds

gooned

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He has been on z/d for a while and just started vomiting?

My cats are mostly grain free wet food eaters. I rarely see them drinking but they sure pee a lot. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If anyone wants to know Lucas' background, you can look up past posts. He has issues :(. She's tried everything.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If anyone wants to know Lucas' background, you can look up past posts. He has issues
. She's tried everything.
since she tried everything but maybe the combinations are off and he is still getting triggered hmm

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was mostly worried about the water. Lucas doesn't have food allergies, im giving him z/d because thd last tone he got gastritis it was the only food he could keep down. Lucas has acid reflux among other things, yhe bet think it is because hes been on steroids fir years.

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My three indoor cats are on commercial raw and the occasional can of wet food, and I always see them drinking water. But I'm pretty sure it's only cause they want to play with it, especially Cookie. :lol3:

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried going grain free or raw food? Gastritis can cause nausea and the reflux needs to be dealt with. Z/D has tons of grains in it and looks like it may not be helping anymore. Have you asked your vet about pepcid a/c for the nausea? 1/4 of a 10 mg tablet once to twice daily. 

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried going grain free or raw food? Gastritis can cause nausea and the reflux needs to be dealt with. Z/D has tons of grains in it and looks like it may not be helping anymore. Have you asked your vet about pepcid a/c for the nausea? 1/4 of a 10 mg tablet once to twice daily. 
I wonder if cats can have zofran its a nausa med hmm have I think finnlacey as a good Idea try feeding him graine free or raw and try pepcid and Hills diet SUCKS

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ZD wet has no grains, it is the dry that has rice.

Hydrolyzed Chicken Liver, Water, Corn Starch, Soybean Oil, Powdered Cellulose, Calcium Carbonate, DL-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Iodized Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Calcium Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Zinc Oxide, Ascorbic Acid (source of vitamin C), Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Beta-Carotene, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
...and Lucas was eating Fancy Feast classics before (no grains, high protein, low carb).

Tammy, have you discussed using pepcid a/c with the vet? It's a good idea - really helped Lazlo. :nod: The generic is famotidine, and should be available at any pharmacy.

Last edited:

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucas is on pepsid ac and on sucralfate.  Last time he got better fast with the Reglan, but I think he can be taking Reglan for a long time, I know it has some side effects.  I took him to the vet last Thursday and they said it could be a throath infection and prescribed antibiotics, which obviously didn't help.  In fact I thing they hurt his stomach even more.

I will take him to the vet tomorrow again to see what can be done.

Thank you all for your help I was very worried about him not drinking, I'm making sure he gets enough water in his food. 

He doesn't want the z/d anymore , I guess he is tired of it. Yes, it has no grains and it has helped LUcas a lot, when he got gastritis I feed it to him with a syringe and it was the only food he didn't vomit.

Tammy

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oops! I guess it's grain free but I don't like soybean oil in pet foods. Soy acts as a hormone and can do a number on them. But either way it sounds like it's time to change his food no matter what. I would use Zofran with caution as it's got a new warning on it: http://www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/ucm271913.htm.

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to change his food the problem is I need more options, I want a healthy food and  they don't sell healthy food  around here, only petsmart and it is far from here.  They will be opening one near in the next couple of months, can't wait.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To answer your question about drinking, my cats never drink. They never drank when they were all can fed, and they don't drink now, on a combination of canned and raw.

I still freshen their water bowl twice a day, but no one ever goes near it.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vomiting is a concern and I'll be interested in what is found out about that. The drinking is probably not an issue since he's on an all wet diet. Some cats on an all wet diet never actively "drink" water out of the bowl. 3 of my 4 cats drink a lot of water because they like to play in the water fountain. The 4th drinks out of the sink . She'll sit there in the sink and drink the water drops coming from the faucet. I don't know why but she does.