Water Loving Kitty

GreenIvy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, everyone! I'm not sure if someone has already dealt with a similar issue, if so, any advice would be most appreciated!

My female cat loves to play with the water bowl. So much that by the time I get home from work, it's somewhere on the other side of the house and empty, leaving both of my kitties thirsty and my floor soaked. She loves to push it around with her paw, seems she finds it interesting for some reason. I tried changing bowls, getting a heavier one, placing it somewhere else... Nothing works and it seems it has become a habit now. What do I do? If I'm home and she starts playing with it, I will usually say "No!" and that works but how do I get her to stop doing that altogether?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats just like to play with water. Try a bowl that suctions to the floor. Or consider putting the bow (with or without suction) in a tray or even a shallow plastic storage contaner and use double sided tape to hold it to the floor. That way spills are contained. If the tray or box is large enough, add something heavy like 15 lb dumbbells. I'd keep the water bowl in the kitchen if you have carpet in the rest of the home. Have you tried a water fountain?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GreenIvy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey thanks! I haven't tried a water fountain, was afraid of what that might encourage :devilcat2: but I'll definitely give the suction idea a try. I don't mind her playing with water, I'm just afraid of them going thirsty.

Also, I have a bathtub which I've already filled with a little bit of water and let her play in it before. Should I encourage this kind of playtime or not? She seems to really enjoy it. Sorry, I'm a first-time cat owner with a lot of questions :geekcat:

CaliCatCharlie

Living FeLV Pawwwsitive!
Adult Cat
Purraise
GreenIvy GreenIvy I have a pie plate in the tub that I put fresh water in everyday. Charlie loves the tub! I put bouncy balls in there with him and he goes nuts!

I also have water in bright dishes all over the house...kitchen, bedroom, food area, the tub and I have a fountain.

Charlie is a face washer. He dunks his snout or paw in and goes to town rubbing his head down!

Maybe more water in other areas will lessen the pulling of bowls all over the house.

Good luck. :clapcat:

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh! I would encourage play in the bathtub when you are around. Ailish won't even walk on a wet spot on the carpet she hates water so much. If I ever have a kitten I plan to get it used to water from the very first. I dread the day I ever have to bathe her for some medical reason.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My first kitty, Gwen, never played with water, but she did develop a fascination with the
bathtub later in life. And she had her own drinking fountain, so I don't think she just wanted
moving water.

In the morning, she'd come into the bathroom with me and sit there and make sad eyes
at me until I ran just a little water for her into the bathtub, and then she'd like it all up
off the bathtub floor.

A little gross, maybe, but it made her happy in her old age, so it seemed mean to say no.
Better than drinking out of the toilet, which she also did whenever she had a chance!