Water Fountains?

catlover384

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I've heard good and bad things about water fountains for kittens. Should I get one for my future kitten? Or should I stick to a normal bowl? Or maybe both?

Also, can someone recommend me a sturdy, tall and somewhat narrow cat tree? Like with more platforms than boxes, preferably attaching to the ceiling and one.

Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover384

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, how do I introduce a 3 month old kitten to a dog? My dog is pretty laid back but can be playful at times. She's 6.

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats are more likely to drink water from a fountain (and play with it). People usually put a water bowl next to food. Cats' instincts from going back to before they were domesticated, a cat would see a dead animal in the river so would move upstream away from it as it knew the water would be tainted and from the decaying animal. Upstream meant the water was clean. That is an instinct they have never lost. Also related to that, cats prefer running water hence many will drink from a dripping tap (fawcet) I have a Catit Flower Fountain which holds 5 litres of water for mine and they love it.

As for introducing your kitten to your dog. Do it gently under close supervision. I've had cats, kittens and dogs (German Shepherds) over the years although I don't have a dog now - he passed away from old age 2 years ago. He and the cats were the best of friends but he knew his place - the cats ruled and they were quick to tell him off with a hiss and a (half hearted) swipe at his nose with a paw if he did something they didn't like.

As for cat trees, I can't advise on those as I don't have one (yet). My cats favour my high shelving units and the sun spot - on top of my baby grand piano (I have a cat proof cover on it when I'm not playing it), and, of course, their favourite place - my bed.

Hope this helps.