Water broke 16 hours ago/kitten advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

izzieholley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So mummy cat has blood coming from her vagina, not a lot. Is that normal?

izzieholley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of the kittens eyes are already open, at only 3 days. Only a little bit open. Is that normal? Or should I be concerned"

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's normal. Short-haired kittens open their eyes pretty early. Long-haired kittens open their eyes later. It usually takes 2-3 days for eyes to fully open. Sometimes one eye opens first, then the other one opens. Kittens' vision is still not good when they first open their eyes.

izzieholley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's normal. Short-haired kittens open their eyes pretty early. Long-haired kittens open their eyes later. It usually takes 2-3 days for eyes to fully open. Sometimes one eye opens first, then the other one opens. Kittens' vision is still not good when they first open their eyes.
I think they're long haired though, both mum cat and dad cat are ling haired. Especially dad cat. I think its the first born and she was a couple of days late giving birth.

izzieholley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So the kittens are now 5 weeks old. They're currently weaning and litter training but I have a few problems. First they are sleeping in their litter tray. All of them curl up together in the litter tray. Secondly they're peeing every where in their 'pen'. I've seen a few use the litter tray correctly before so why are they peeing every where. I'm also using wood litter, is this the right litter to use? Any tips on litter training? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
izzieholley izzieholley

I suggest non-clumping litter. It's much softer than wood chips and easier to use.

Put them in the litter pan before and after meals, and other times throughout the day. Little kittens need reminders!

Also spread doggie pee pads all around the litter pan to catch accidents. At 5 weeks there are bound to be a few.

Give them a nice "bed" in another box nearby, and encourage them to curl up in that!

Kittens usually learn quickly between now and 8 weeks! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

izzieholley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
izzieholley izzieholley

I suggest non-clumping litter. It's much softer than wood chips and easier to use.

Put them in the litter pan before and after meals, and other times throughout the day. Little kittens need reminders!

Also spread doggie pee pads all around the litter pan to catch accidents. At 5 weeks there are bound to be a few.

Give them a nice "bed" in another box nearby, and encourage them to curl up in that!

Kittens usually learn quickly between now and 8 weeks! [emoji]128522[/emoji]
Thank you I will try that next time I change it. They do have a comfy bed but only a few ever sleep in it.

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can use a cut off a box and tear up paper or use the shredded paper from your shredder for bedding in the box.  Kittens seem to like it.

Last edited: