Water broke 16 hours ago/kitten advice.

izzieholley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my cats water broke 16 hours ago. (About 6pm last night) but still no contractions or kittens. Shes eating a lot and drinking a lot and sleeping a lot. Also when she pees its not thay much or she struggles. The kittens are moving around lile theres no tomorrow! She doesnt have any milk from her nipples either. How long until she will go into labour?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have noticed water may go quite a much earlier. Her overall behavior doesnt sound as the delviery is immediately coming...  Its "just" the water.

Has she dropped??

Do you have access to a vet knowleable with cat obstetrics?   If so, phone and seek advice there.

If not, its more difficult. Because an too early cesarean is dangerous for them kittens - prematures have always a fight uphill, much more than human babies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

izzieholley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
izzieholley izzieholley

How is your cat doing?

She may be having contractions that you cannot see.
Still pregnant!! There is a tiny bit of blood where she's sleeping at the moment. Can't tell if its coming from 'down there' or a rash she may have (she sometimes gets little rashes, nothing major) Shes obsessively licking 'down there' and her tail. Coming on to 19 hours since her water broke.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds to me like she is laboring. Is it red blood or pinkish?

Can you see any ripples in her body, or tightening and then relaxing of her tummy?

izzieholley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have noticed water may go quite a much earlier. Her overall behavior doesnt sound as the delviery is immediately coming...  Its "just" the water.
Has she dropped??

Do you have access to a vet knowleable with cat obstetrics?   If so, phone and seek advice there.

If not, its more difficult. Because an too early cesarean is dangerous for them kittens - prematures have always a fight uphill, much more than human babies.
Haven't really look tp see if shes 'dropped' wouldn't know the difference if I did. My step-mum has had 4 littlers with her British Shorthair. Said it could be up to 24 hours. I think it was her water breaking. It was a large puddle of clear water next to the litter tray, no odour.

izzieholley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me like she is laboring. Is it red blood or pinkish?

Can you see any ripples in her body, or tightening and then relaxing of her tummy?
Its red, maybe with a tint of brown. Can't see her belly shes too busy licking it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Haven't really look tp see if shes 'dropped' wouldn't know the difference if I did. My step-mum has had 4 littlers with her British Shorthair. Said it could be up to 24 hours. I think it was her water breaking. It was a large puddle of clear water next to the litter tray, no odour.
Usually its not that difficult to notice - they suddenly looks not so fully big.  Some may even seem almost as if they had alredy delivered - the diff in looks is often well noticeable.

So if you didnt noticed anything especial, we can suspect she hasnt dropped.   Although not all drop, some are landing directly from the transport, so to speak.

izzieholley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Usually its not that difficult to notice - they suddenly looks not so fully big.  Some may even seem almost as if they had alredy delivered - the diff in looks is often well noticeable.

So if you didnt noticed anything especial, we can suspect she hasnt dropped.   Although not all drop, some are landing directly from the transport, so to speak.
She looks the same. Is that normal?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She looks the same. Is that normal?
Let me say so, its not the most usual.

So here we do have two different scenarios: 

One. She hasnt dropped, and thus, her delivery day is still several days before us.  And may have some precontratcions - perfectly normal.

So what its going on??  Prelabor?

If it werent for this puddle of water - a possible broken water sack - it wouldnt be no problem here.   Could it be urine??  sometimes urine doesnt smell.

two; she is one of those whom arent dropping noticeably.  This happens too.

Do you have access to a vet whom is good obstetriciain?

A way to see it, if she seems OK you can probably wait and see - although be vigialant.

Last edited:

izzieholley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let me say so, its not the most usual.

So here we do have two different scenarios: 

One. She hasnt dropped, and thus, her delivery day is still several days before us.  And may have some precontratcions - perfectly normal.
So what its going on??  Prelabor?
If it werent for this puddle of water - a possible broken water sack - it wouldnt be no problem here.   Could it be urine??  sometimes urine doesnt smell.

two; she is one of those whom arent dropping noticeably.  This happens too.

Do you have access to a vet whom is good obstetriciain?

A way to see it, if she seems OK you can probably wait and see - although be vigialant.
Milk is now coming from her nipples when they're squeezed, which it wasnt an hour ago. What does this mean?

catluvr101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That seems normal, milk can come from within a few days before delivery, definitly tells they will be coming soon withing a day or two. Good luck!

izzieholley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That seems normal, milk can come from within a few days before delivery, definitly tells they will be coming soon withing a day or two. Good luck!
Thank you, Im just worried her water broke last night and still no contractions.

catluvr101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometimes it seems their like in labor then it goes away and comes back. This sounds weird, but When they are close to delivery they can go into labor, and stop it completely, like almost like they want to wait later for their delivery. Sounds funny but it happens and is normal

catluvr101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last year my cat had kittens the day before her water broke. Next early morning she had all her kittens. When the water brakes it could honestly be any time

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Each kitten is still enclosed in it's own amniotic sac. It was a larger bag of waters that broke. That and milk production means you will have kittens very soon!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to calm down. You cat will pick up on your stress and it will stress her.  
  Cat's are not like pregnant women who must deliver within a certain amount of time after the water breaks.  As Sarthur2 said, each kitten is also in it own sack.  They are safe and secure.  Some member's cats leaked water for days before dropping.  Welcome to the waiting game.   Just keep posting your concerns and we will help you get through this.

izzieholley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You need to calm down. You cat will pick up on your stress and it will stress her.  :nod:   Cat's are not like pregnant women who must deliver within a certain amount of time after the water breaks.  As Sarthur2 said, each kitten is also in it own sack.  They are safe and secure.  Some member's cats leaked water for days before dropping.  Welcome to the waiting game.   Just keep posting your concerns and we will help you get through this.
Thank you, its very exciting! I'm keeping her away from my other two cats to keep her calm. And keeping her in the quietest room in the house.

izzieholley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Each kitten is still enclosed in it's own amniotic sac. It was a larger bag of waters that broke. That and milk production means you will have kittens very soon!
Very exciting!