Was The Breeding Between a Domestic Cat and a Serval Really Accidental?

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm back with a question about Savannah cats. I've been reading about the history of the breed, and everyone says that it was an accidental breeding. Is this true? Would a serval even mate with a domestic cat in the wild? We have bobcats here and ferals. If a serval would mate with a domestic cat, why wouldn't a bobcat?

Thanks in advance.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
There's no evidence that a hybrid between lynxes and domestic cats is possible, so whether or not they would mate with a domestic is moot. Male servals that were raised with female domestic cats will mate with them, but it won't always be successful, and can be dangerous for the cats involved. That said, no, I don't believe a wild serval would be likely to recognise a cat as similar enough them to be a prospective mate.

You can read more about the first documented Savannah, bred by Suzy Wood, here. Domestic x Serval and Caracal Hybrids

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bobcats and lynxes aren't the same thing. The Pixie-bob is supposedly a cross between a bobcat and a domestic cat.

That makes sense. Thank you!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Pixie-bob is supposedly a cross between a bobcat and a domestic cat.
Supposedly. But DNA tests don't show any bobcat blood in Pixie-bobs. This is true of all alleged bobcat hybrids. As far as anyone can tell, domestic cats and bobcats are not interfertile.

(And bobcats are lynx rufus, they are in the lynx genus.)

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Bobcats are a type of lynx. Only Americans call red lynxes bobcats, to my knowledge. Pixiebobs are domestic. No supposed lynx cross has stood up to scrutiny. Bobtails are a relatively common spontaneous mutation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Supposedly. But DNA tests don't show any bobcat blood in Pixie-bobs. This is true of all alleged bobcat hybrids. As far as anyone can tell, domestic cats and bobcats are not interfertile.

(And bobcats are lynx rufus, they are in the lynx genus.)
Really? 😲 Hmm, that's strange.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bobcats and lynxes aren't the same thing. The Pixie-bob is supposedly a cross between a bobcat and a domestic cat.

That makes sense. Thank you!
Dna showed they are not related to them though.