Was Hoping To Never Have This Problem Again...

Klause

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I’m kind of new here. I like to read the forums, but have only posted once or twice.

I need advice from fellow cat parents.

Background:
I had two cats for 16-17 years. One of them tended to pee on my bed when upset. I eventually figured out she was mad and would fix whatever she was mad about. So I’m a pro at cleaning cat pee, but it was always behavioral.

Current situation:
I adopted two kittens (both previous cats passed away). They are about 5 months old. They are brother and sister and are dream kittens! They play and are fantastic!
However, this morning, my boy kitten was playing with his sister. He ran up onto my bed and peed right behind me!! I was shocked!!!! Up until this point, he had only used the litter box.

Now...the only thing I can think of is I’m trying to transition from regular non-clumping litter to feline pine. We are using the mixing method and I might have skipped a week on the transition because i was so excited to get changed.

Do you think this would have caused this??? Should I be overly concerned? I’m kind of freaking out.

I did put some of their regular litter in the feline pine immediately to hopefully stop this behavior immediately.

Help!!!! I don’t want to deal with cat pee on my bed anymore!!!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is he neutered? If not, it could be a territorial thing.

It could also be a symptom of a UTI. So for that reason we always suggest a vet visit when a cat pees outside of the litter box.

However, in your case since you're changing the type of litter, hopefully it's just that he's not happy with the new litter.

Here's an article on When And How To Switch To A New Type Of Litter | TheCatSite

I know you already have experience with cleaning bedding of urine, but in case someone else is reading this thread, here's the TCS article on How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens

And the ones on litter box avoidance:
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet | TheCatSite
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping | TheCatSite
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory | TheCatSite

Good luck.

Tonita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My guess is that you never got rid of the odor of cat urine from the other cat. I don't think you can ever get rid of it honestly.

Is he neutered? If not, it could be a territorial thing.

It could also be a symptom of a UTI. So for that reason we always suggest a vet visit when a cat pees outside of the litter box.

However, in your case since you're changing the type of litter, hopefully it's just that he's not happy with the new litter.

Here's an article on When And How To Switch To A New Type Of Litter | TheCatSite

I know you already have experience with cleaning bedding of urine, but in case someone else is reading this thread, here's the TCS article on How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens

And the ones on litter box avoidance:
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet | TheCatSite
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping | TheCatSite
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory | TheCatSite

Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Klause

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is neutered. So I don’t think it’s marking territory.

It’s possibly the smell of my other cat.

He hasn’t done it again and I’m keeping a close eye on it.

I am making a vet appointment too.

Thanks!

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have a litter box in the bedroom? Did he choose your bed over the litter box?