Waiting For Possible Ckd Diagnosis

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats went in for their annuals today. My boy's labs came back with a creatinine of 2.4 and AMY of 1106. The vet says the elevated AMY is probably because he has IBD.

They weren't able to get full labs because he is aggressive, so we have to go back for a urinalysis and SDMA later next week.

One year ago his creatinine was 1.8. He was being fed canned food and was on no medication. Five months ago his creatinine was 2, his SDMA was 13. He was fed canned food and on no medication. For the last few months he has been fed a limited ingredient dry and has been on prozac. As I mentioned - creatinine 2.4.

I am trying to do as much research as I can before my next appointment. Is this increase as dramatic and quick as it seems? From what I'm reading it seems he may be in stage 2 CKD. Crossing my fingers it's by some miracle not CKD.

Does anyone have any advice?

He drinks a lot of water and was constipated 2 weeks ago, if that is relevant. Sometimes vomits bile in the morning.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi xcourtney3 xcourtney3 ,
It sounds weird to me that your vet didn't give any medication when the first signs of a possible CKD were visible.
A change in the diet and the usual pills given to CKD cats (Fortekor over here in Italy) would have been advisable. Even sub-Q hydration was a good thing to do.
This doesn't mean you can't do that now.
The cat in my profile picture was diagnosed CKD at the age of 5 and lived well into her 16 when she died from a different disease.

As for the IBD, there are some interesting threads in this forum. My other cat has IBD and it's a pain in the neck!

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This may not be CKD. It may be Pancreatitis secondary to IBD. I will share my experience.

I had a male cat with decreased appetite, vomiting bile some mornings. I took him to the vet.
Bloodwork showed normal except for Creatinine 2.4, which was surprising. Vet diagnosed early CKD and prescribed sub-q fluids twice weekly. I did this, but cat did not improve.

I took him back to vet for re-evaluation a few weeks later as I questioned CKD. I suspected pancreatitis and requested a blood test. They did the SNAP fPL there in the office which took only a few minutes, and indeed did show pancreatitis. This led to getting the Spec fPLI blood test, which is the "gold standard" and must be sent off to Texas A & M University labs and takes a few days to get back. This test confirmed Pancreatitis; in fact very bad. Cat was hospitalized under care of Internal Medicine Vet. Subsequent GI Ultrasound and endoscopic biopsy confirmed IBD. It was a long, rocky road, but he was finally stabilized. He never did have and sort of kidney disease.

I do know that Amylase values can be fairly high in cats with active pancreatitis.
Creatinine levels can be elevated also due to vomiting, dehydration, but they will go down once the cat is stabilized.

You say your cat is drinking a lot of water. Cats do this when they are nauseous. Cats with pancreatitis and IBD are very often nauseous, especially in the mornings when they vomit bile and other stomach juices.

I would suggest your cat get a blood test to "rule out" pancreatitis. Your vet can do the SNAP fPL in the office, but there is often a "false negative" as it is a less sensitive test than the Spec fPLI which must be sent off. With high Amylase, I suggest the Spec fPLI. Please talk to your vet soon about this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi xcourtney3 xcourtney3 ,
It sounds weird to me that your vet didn't give any medication when the first signs of a possible CKD were visible.
A change in the diet and the usual pills given to CKD cats (Fortekor over here in Italy) would have been advisable. Even sub-Q hydration was a good thing to do.
This doesn't mean you can't do that now.
The cat in my profile picture was diagnosed CKD at the age of 5 and lived well into her 16 when she died from a different disease.

As for the IBD, there are some interesting threads in this forum. My other cat has IBD and it's a pain in the neck!

Do you think this sounds like CKD? Were the previous test results indicative of CKD? I'm changing his diet to a low phosphorus canned food regardless. I'm so glad to hear your cat lived so long. It's devastating to know your cat isn't going to live as long as you hoped.

This may not be CKD. It may be Pancreatitis secondary to IBD. I will share my experience.
He isn't dehydrated and he only vomits maybe once every 3-4 weeks. I will ask my vet about pancreatitis.