Vomits And Won't Eat

snowbird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

My cat Molly is 12 going on 13. She is a long haired rescue, and my family has had her since she was a kitten. She is indoor outdoor, though never goes far from the deck.

Recently she lost a lot of weight and was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid in early January. We have been figuring out the correct dose, and trying to get her weight back up.

About a week ago, she started throwing up. My vet gave me medicine for it, but it's not helping. Now she won't eat and is crying and wanting to either be held or just hide. I called my vet, but they can't get her in until Monday. I live rural, and there is no emergency vet nearby.

I'm about to go to the store and pick up some all natural plain chicken broth and plain deli chicken to try and coax her to eat. She has always had a very healthy appetite, and there have been no changes to her diet recently.

Does anyone have advice to get her through the weekend? She is breaking my heart, and my whole family is worried for her.

Thank you!

alzycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The most important thing is getting food into her if she isn't eating. I find that really smelly wet foods entice cats to eat, also plain meat baby food with no garlic or onion. You could also try Fortiflora, which is just a probiotic you sprinkle on their food. My cat LOVES it and if her appetite gets low I just sprinkle it on her food and she gobbles it up. I get mine at the vet though so I'm not sure where you could get it if your vet is closed.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi also grab some tuna, some baby food with no onion or garlic, some sardines, some kitten food, maybe some Kitten Milk Replacer and also some goat milk.
I'm so sorry - keeping you in my prayers!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
and, a couple more ideas for you
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat gravy poured over the food
  • Pouch cat foods - these typically have more gravy

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tuna water. Hydration is most important, is she drinking water? canned food mixed with water, slowly via syringe.
My prayers are with you, buy different food brands maybe one will be gentler to the stomach.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snowbird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ej x: thank you for the suggestions!

Update:

I went out and got a little of everything that you all suggested (that I didn't already have).

When I got back I gave her the vomit preventative, then kitten milk. I estimate that she drank almost a quarter cup, then took a nap. Molly kept it down! When she got up again I gave her the thyroid medicine and a few pieces of plain oven roasted deli turkey, and she ate that and drank a bunch of water! It's been about an hour or two since then and she's sleeping soundly!

I feel so much better now that I know she has something in her belly and is resting peacefully! Thank you all so, so much! I'll keep you guys updated if you'd like :)

Kjl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just FYI..it may be the thyroid meds that are making Molly sick. When taking the pills and then the transdermal, gel it was around or on day 10 that my boy started vomiting...even after taking nausea meds. He wouldn’t eat for about 24 hrs because any little bit he ate, he threw up so we had to stop the medication all together. Sadly, some kitties can’t tolerate thyroid meds..hopefully a lower dose or the gel will work for you...better yet, hopefully it’s just a fluke thing and molly will feel back to her old self in the morning

snowbird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just FYI..it may be the thyroid meds that are making Molly sick. When taking the pills and then the transdermal, gel it was around or on day 10 that my boy started vomiting...even after taking nausea meds. He wouldn’t eat for about 24 hrs because any little bit he ate, he threw up so we had to stop the medication all together. Sadly, some kitties can’t tolerate thyroid meds..hopefully a lower dose or the gel will work for you...better yet, hopefully it’s just a fluke thing and molly will feel back to her old self in the morning
Oh no! I was worried it might be the medicine. I'm really hoping it's a fluke, but either way, she will see the vet on Monday. (Our vet is an absolute angel...she never turns anyone away and lets my family do payment plans.) Hopefully this is a fluke. If not, I'll ask about a gel, or alternative. Thank you for sharing!

snowbird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!

Molly kept everything down during the night, and through today! She hasn't been interested in the kitten milk since that first time, but is ravenous for the deli turkey and starts pawing at me when I sit down to feed her. I have to tear it up real small and give it to her slowly so she doesn't eat too fast. I'm also only giving her a bit at a time, since I don't want her to overdo it.

She's a little more lively which is also good! Molly has always been a lazy, sleepy cat, but I'm glad she has perked up more since keeping things down.

She's also drinking, and a little more brighter eyed. Though I'm wondering: should I stay with what's working, or introduce something else, like wet food or treats? Also, she hasn't had a bowel movement in over a day...should I be concerned, or maybe the food just hasn't gone through her system yet?

Fingers crossed that she's done vomitting!! Thank you all for the support!!

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
:hithere:

I'd be thinking, "hmmm, possibly a huge hairball is stuck inside?" as constipation (vomiting and picky eating) are all symptoms. And, wouldn't it be ace if that were all to blame as they're relatively easy to 'move-on' out either the front or the back end (but can become dangerous if left unaided as they can cause a total obstruction). Smearing a dollop of vaseline on her paws and nose to lick off would be my first instinct to help lubricate her insides. It's safe for cats and most households have some.

As for food, keep feeding her what she'll eat but also try introducing some wet food, as the hydration would help with her constipation.

Thanks for updating your thread.

:hangin:

snowbird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!! Sorry for not updating sooner -- busy week!

Molly is doing so much better! The vet said she didn't need to come in Monday since she was eating and keeping everything down. After she finished the deli turkey, I gave her the baby food, and when those jars were gone, I started giving her those Fancy Feast broth pouches which she went crazy for. Starting yesterday she kept begging for more food, so now she is getting regular wet food again. She hasn't thrown up, and is drinking plenty of water and back to having bowl movements.

She has been isolating lately (sleeping in the hallway instead of near my mom, who she spends the most time with), but it's not entirely unusual for her...she occasionally tries out other sleeping areas. Molly has always been a lazy, sleepy kitty who doesn't care for any commotion. I'm not too concerned about that, especially since she is interacting with us and is getting excited over food and treats again. Now I'm focused on getting her to gain some more weight!! If anyone has any tips for that, I'd appreciate it so much if you shared!

You guys have been so kind and helpful!! I've told all my friends with cats about this website. I was so worried and anxious last weekend, and everyone here helped to get both me and Molly through! :hearthrob:

P.S. the kitty in my icon is our other cat, Sturdy, a sweet and patient gentleman who used to be feral and is now a self appointed guardian of our home!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm really pleased to hear that she is enthusiastic about food again!

My cat Radar had surgery (middle ear via incisions in the throat) followed by a URI flare-up and stopped eating so I am currently syringing food down the oesophagostomy tube that was put in until he starts eating again, he's very happy and lively and is getting sufficient nutrition but it distresses me that he isn't eating by himself yet.

I am very happy to hear that your Molly is eating again - I'm happy for you and Molly, but it also gives me hope that Radar will find his appetite soon.