Vomiting from feeding digestive enzymes?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for that suggestion! :hugs: She LOVES freeze dried liver. Her heart medication is just 1/4 of a small pill daily, so I'm going to try that with it. :nod: And because we're ruling out asthma for these breathing episodes and a slight cough that's been ongoing, I also have to give her pred 2x a day now. That's a little larger, but it's worth the shot. :lol3:

Most of our cats are or were health compromised in some way, and I'm really comfortable pilling them. I've never had an issue like this before, and I'm feeling really guilty about it now. :sigh: I really hope I haven't damaged her throat. :( :cross:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that suggestion!
She LOVES freeze dried liver. Her heart medication is just 1/4 of a small pill daily, so I'm going to try that with it.
And because we're ruling out asthma for these breathing episodes and a slight cough that's been ongoing, I also have to give her pred 2x a day now. That's a little larger, but it's worth the shot.

Most of our cats are or were health compromised in some way, and I'm really comfortable pilling them. I've never had an issue like this before, and I'm feeling really guilty about it now.
I really hope I haven't damaged her throat.
LDG - You might want to rule out bordetella as well.  The primary symptoms are random and somewhat infrequent coughing in cats (usually like they have a hairball but don't get anything up) and usually some form of laryngitis-like symptom (hard swallowing, enlarged lymph nodes under jaw).  If you google "feline bordetella" you can read lots more about it.  Just something else to consider while you're ruling things in or out.  But don't worry, I seriously doubt that you've done anything permanent to your kitty's throat.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of course, anything's possible. We work with ferals literally right out the front door. The good news is she has no sneezing, no fever, no discharge... and her cough has gone away since being on the pred. I have to go update her thread in health, but she had another one of her purring/breathing episodes this morning. I think we'll schedule an endoscopy, just so I'm not worried about polyps, cysts, or throat cancer or something (knock wood).

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Of course, anything's possible. We work with ferals literally right out the front door. The good news is she has no sneezing, no fever, no discharge... and her cough has gone away since being on the pred. I have to go update her thread in health, but she had another one of her purring/breathing episodes this morning. I think we'll schedule an endoscopy, just so I'm not worried about polyps, cysts, or throat cancer or something (knock wood).
Well, if you're going to do that, then I strongly recommend you also have them take a nasopharyngeal swab and run a PCR test on it, and maybe even a culture with sensitivity.  Not all of these cause sneezing/eye problems, particularly bordetella.  Here is a link to info on this particular test.  Good luck and please keep us all posted!

http://www.idexx.com/pubwebresource...agnostic-updates/realpcr-feline-urd-panel.pdf

cheryllib

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed my 41/2 kitten Rad Cat also. I gave him the lamb and he threw it up. It has a lot more fat content and I think it was to rich for him. I give him the chicken and the turkey and he loves it. I use Dr. Mercola's digestive enzymes also I just sprinkle a tiny bit on every time I feed him. I also give him Dr. Mercola's complete probiotics. If your feeding raw three times a day just try a very small amout each time of the enzymes.Have you found any other raw food? The Rad Cat seems like a very good one from what I have read. I tried the Instinct but he didn't like it,I got the beef patties and he threw up violently from 3/4 a small pattie. No more beef!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, you can probably slowly introduce the red meats. I do have one kitty that can only eat red meat up to 50% of the meal, and it took a while to get there (but I wanted lamb, beef, and venison in their protein rotation). When introducing new meats, just add like 25% or less to the protein they're eating without problem, and take it slowly. :) And given you know he has a problem with red meat, consider making it just 10% when reintroducing it.

But yes - if he throws up on even that, best to hold off for a couple of months before trying again.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's really strange because one of mine violently threw up the lamb a couple of times, but ate a ton of pure beef and was fine.  I'll now only give her 25-50% lamb at one time mixed with a lighter protein like chicken.  She does okay with that.  

cheryllib - I'm currently feeding about half my meals with Rad Cat and the other half is ground chicken or rabbit from Hare Today with added alnutrin.  I wasn't really sure why they recommend adding this until I realized the ground chicken I bought from them says it includes, meat, bones, hearts/gizzard and liver.  So it doesn't actually include all of the organs and why I think they recommend alnutrin to supplement it.  I'm going to finish up what I bought from Hare Today and then try them out on some ground products from My Pet Carnivore since those include the entire carcass, minus feathers/fur.  I'm trying to move them to a more pure raw diet.  Although I like Rad Cat, I don't really care for some of the ingredients like the psyllium husk.  It's fine for variety now and then, but I don't plan to feed it as their main source.  I think I will eventually move them to a frankenprey diet since they seem to take to plain chunked-up meat right away, but with ground they need some kind of "topper" on it to get them started.  

We'll see though, I'm really just experimenting with lots of things right now.