Vomiting from Fancy Feast

mema62

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've just got back from a week long visit home. During that time, Tucker was looked after by a friend who gave him his daily kibble and canned allotment. No vomiting was reported while I was away.

When I got back I gave him a big can of Friskies  Turkey Dinner pate. Tucker seemed very dubious about it (weird, since he's usually all over his food dish), but ate it and seemed happy after. The next day he got Chicken in Gravy Friskies. He whined for kibble and wouldn't touch the wet. l ended up throwing it out. Today, I switched over to Fancy Feast Chicken and Liver. Normally, this is is his favourite of favourites, but today it took him ages to eat and he seemed distinctly unhappy about it.

Next thing I know, he's explosively vomiting all over the carpet. D:

I've had Tuck almost three months now, and the only other time he's been sick was after stealing and eating an entire slice of pizza, and even that wasn't this violent.

Is this just stress from me being gone a week, or has Purina had a canned food recall I'm not aware of? He's still fine with his Petcurean kibble so I'm almost certain this is all down to the canned stuff and not a medical issue, though if this continues without the wet a phone call to the vet will be happening. In any case, he's not getting any more Purina brand anything until I can figure out why he's suddenly reacting so badly too it.

The weather is nice so I'll be heading into town tomorrow in search of better wet food.

Advice?
my ragdoll Jack was on friskies an purina products 6 yrs. one day he stopped eating and threw up 3 times. after 2 days went to vet HERE IS FRISKIES PURINA SCOOP. THEY HAVE ALL FOOD NOW MANUFACTURED IN CHINA. not good. china has no restrictions temperature control checks or quality checks. purina will not submit ingredients to our quality usa control and have 8 issues right now. the dog food has anti freeze in it called propolyne glocal. many cats thousands of dogs cats have died or throwing up diarreah issues. my vet said Jack appears to have gastritis from rays and he had a horrible green diarreah explosion. ITS NO RECALL YET ACCORDING TO PETSMART BUT THEY ARE AWARE OF IT AND UNTIL PROVEN CAN'T REMOVE IT. I SPENT 500$ AT VET. JACK IS BETTER LOVES THE SIMPLY NOURISH BRAND. REGRETFULLY I TRIED TO GIVE SN DRY FOOD IMMEDIATELY but had some loose stools. so i am going 30-50 on dry food for few days praying purina dry food will not be enough to bother him again. Thailand products dont bother me. better quality control thn usa. but China can do whatever. talk to your vet and i hope your baby is better

Last edited:

mema62

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

mema62

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is interesting. I've been feeding Purina One Pairings (same company that makes Friskies and FF) and my cat refuses to eat October 2016 cans. She also refuses to eat May 2016. She will eat February and April 2016 cans. She's been eating canned for a month and these are the only months I've tried. Something changed between April and May is my conclusion. I can see the difference as well.

Those that are having no problems should post the best by dates of their cans for comparison.
PURINA IS MADE IN CHINA NOW. PURINA UNDER HEAVY INVESTIGATION ONE BEING TENPERATURE CONTROL AND SANITATION. CHINA IS MAJOR WORRY FOR PET FOOD. WHEN I CALLED PURINA THEY TOLD ME IT GOT TO EXPENSIVE TO DO IN USA

Last edited:

shandi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please get informed about pet food, especially cat food. 

I suggest that you look up your cat food ONLINE (for easier reading), then check the ingredients.  Prepare to be shocked, but most of all prepare to make a shift to higher quality food.  PAY NOW or PAY LATER!

Also, look up the latest recall list.  Rotate foods, so that they aren't eating the same brand, because many animals have to die before a brand is re-called. Even high quality brands are recalled at times.

Last edited by a moderator:

logic0123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't give my rescue cats FF that often due to fears of cross contamination (a lot of companies use the same equipment to make different products ). I only buy the nonfish classic flavors. The other types contain harmful ingredients like wheat gluten and soy protein. I don't understand why pet food companies even make dry food. It's unnatural and unhealthy, especially for cats. I finally stopped giving my cats brands like Wellness and Halo and switched to Feline Natural freeze dried raw and Limited Ingredient canned food. The changes were dramatic. My male Cat who used to be somewhat aggressive (he would randomly attack me) is now calm and very friendly. I'm sure it was his diet.

thomas wood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Similar thing is happening with our cat and FF Turkey and Giblets classic, he will only eat the older cans and will not touch the latest batch we just bought, This is a little bit scary since he must smell something that is not good about the food.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had been feeding my four cats Fancy Feast for quite awhile. I got the bad batches too, they were throwing it up and refused to eat it anymore. I still buy the classic chicken flavor. It seems to be OK. As much as it costs, they should have more quality control over their products.

deeaimeee16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ive had my cats for 2 years now... I've been feeding them kibble and Fancy Feast... every variation of their wet food... we have fed them both kibble and wet food the entire time. Only recently have my cats completely regurgitated within minutes of eating FF... does anyone know why this would start now and should i stop??? They both love FF.. it's their favorite but the vomiting really upsets me. What could be causing this now?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, if the food is making them sick, stop feeding it.

Do you notice vomiting from one or two particular flavors?

It's possible that the current meat mix for the meat by-product isn't sitting well with your cats. I prefer to feed names by-products (turkey heart, chicken liver, etc...) to avoid inconsistencies with foods.

Purina states that they use Beef or Pork in their meat by-product, though there could be poultry or lamb too. My guess is they buy whatever by-products are the cheapest at the time, but that's just speculation on my part.

dad of bella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

Within the past couple of weeks Bella refuses to eat most of

her favorite canned Fancy Feast cat food.  She will actually

have a taste and scratch the floor with her paw to signal "no".

I've also noticed the looks are different when I open the food.

Anyone else.  Bella is a Main Coon and is extremely bright and

always signals me if something is wrong.

dad of bella

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hi All,

Within the past couple of weeks Bella refuses to eat most of

her favorite canned Fancy Feast cat food.  She will actually

have a taste and scratch the floor with her paw to signal "no".

I've also noticed the looks are different when I open the food.

Anyone else.  Bella is a Main Coon and is extremely bright and

always signals me if something is wrong.

dad of bella
Which type of Fancy Feast?
I only serve the Classics and every box I've bought has looked exactly the same as always and my two are eating it, no problem.

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed only the classic ff and have not noticed anything different. Tuffy continues to gobble it up!

vicki marie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats have eaten Fancy Feast Classics for years and I have never had problems with it until this fall. They smell it and walk away or if they are very hungry eat only a small amount. One cat in particular vomits it and has been having diarrhea also. I have contacted Purina but they say there have been no formula changes, but it sure looks different. All flavors used to have a smooth even consistency, but now it has a bunch of nasty looking stuff in it.  I am trying to find another brand they will eat, but the classics is all they want. It seems to be all flavors, but at first I noticed it in the turkey  liver and chicken feast and the turkey giblets feast. I am really concerned.     Theses photos were sent to Purina and all I got were some freebie coupons and an "we are sorry" .

tuna211216

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you guys serious so many of you actually feed your cats purina and friskies one of the cheapest foods you can get . Its like macdolands for cats common.. i feed mind wellness and think that even that brand is kinda poverty for mg cats to eat just surprised so many downrade to purina

vicki marie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I certainly don't feed Friskies, but what do you do when Fancy Feast is all they like (or used to like)? I have tried Wellness, they won't eat it. I have tried so many different brands that turns out to be a big waste of money.   I WISH there was something else they would eat, but I haven't found anything over the years.  I am afraid they will just be eating their dry food and I don't think that is good for them to have only dry. 

tuna211216

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Well, I certainly don't feed Friskies, but what do you do when Fancy Feast is all they like (or used to like)? I have tried Wellness, they won't eat it. I have tried so many different brands that turns out to be a big waste of money.   I WISH there was something else they would eat, but I haven't found anything over the years.  I am afraid they will just be eating their dry food and I don't think that is good for them to have only dry. 
my cat used to only eat dry food and didnt touch the wet food..

I had to mess with him mentally a little..

id cal his name.. show him the can .. ill open it slowly and tease him with it and then eventually smask it on the plate so it all just comes out and hand him over the plate.. its weird but it worked everytime no matter what brand i tried he will eat it this way..

however if i simply dropped wet food on a plate and then called him to come .. he  would just look at it and walk away. 

maybe just try that

and ya my cat liked fancy feast beef or chicken dinner one. even when he was sick with cancer and wouldn't eat anything else he would still eat fancy feast which is like crack for cats i guess..  which cant be good.

vicki marie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, that's certainly an interesting idea…I might just try that. I ordered a couple cans of Rebarn pate but haven't received it yet and a small batch of Muse (also by purina) and it is not here yet. Maybe one of those will suit their fancy taste buds!  

The new order of F.F. I got today has some later dates on them. I am  hoping a this new batch will be ok or at least better.

thanks.  

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That does look strange. Although, it also appears to just have too much of liver pieces in it - which is the kind of thin, wet looking part on the outside of it.  I notice it, but never saw quite so much of it.  At least they sent you a bunch of coupons. Hopefully that was just manufactured incorrectly.

happypet6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is interesting to me because we were discussing tonight whether to continue FF or not. Have been giving it to two of our older cats (12 & 13) for years and neither has had health issues. What prompted this is our most recent purchase of a multi box from Chewy.com Now,before I go further I need to say that I love this company and they have helped us on many occasions when we had issues with our cats health. Our most recent purchase was a multi box of FF broth packages. When we opened the first pouch, it had tiny slivers of bone. Although never encountered this before, it seemed a bit odd. Realize this doesn't really address your problem, but felt it was in the same vein. Will be watching this thread closely. Just FYI, we have 12 adopted inside babies and 14 outside strays and ferals. Retired folks and have to be very careful with money, but we dearly love all our babies. Sure hope your little Tuck gets much better [emoji]9786[/emoji]

Last edited by a moderator:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the past, many of my cats have not tolerated Purina foods well, either dry or the higher-quality wet they produce (I forget the name).  So, I do not feed any Purina foods.  Not saying it is or isn't the food that's the problem; just avoiding it in favor of "premium" brands such as Nutro, Natural Balance, Blue Buffalo, Solid Gold, Soulistic.  We seem to do quite well with those.