Vomiting Brown Liquid

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my two cats has vomited brown liquid, but I have no idea which one as they are both presenting as well (as well as they usually are, anyway!). Should I just monitor them to check their appetite? I have a feeling it might be Milo as Poppy is constantly grazing dry food and there were no lumps but he prefers wet and always seems hungry.

I know I could search the forum but I'm at work and time is limited. Thanks for any suggestions.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Some member’s cats was vomiting I posted this recently and this was what I posted here in :- Foamy Vomit..? and Cat Vomiting Almost Every Day For The Past Week :-

Cats throwing up liquids could mean many things. It could be a caused by a simple hairball to indigestion or something she ate and is indigestible items like a piece of string other objects like toxic chemicals or plants which is irritating her stomach to something much more serious in the system underlying a health issue.

Coughing could be that Tipps is clearing up her throat and maybe likely clearing hairball.
Clear liquid is likely to be gastric juices and mucus due to a long delay between feeding times or irregular eating. Mucus is a protective film that coats the stomach linings to prevent then acid from destroying the smooch linings. Clearing hairball usually is accompanied with white/clear foamy substance whether hairball is presence or not.

Yellow liquid or sometimes greenish are due to the presence of bile which when excreted gives the urine or feces the brown and yellow coloring. Bile does irritates and inflames the stomach as it moves backwards into the stomach and is natural for the cat to expel it by vomiting.

If liquid is pinkish, it means there's blood is presence and it could be from anywhere in the body system.

Change of food and eating fast can cause vomiting too.

If all these liquid vomiting or vomiting is a regular affair, it is a concern and best is to have Tipps checked by the vet. Observe and take photos or videos while she's at it and show it to the vet at the next visit. Hopefully it's not serious and it's just a simple hairball thingy.

Do keep us posted of the findings.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's very interesting - I think it must be Milo as he is not eating much dry between wet feedings but gulps down his wet feeds. Yesterday I gave him food before bed but he didn't want much of it as it wasn't his usual brand so possibly he was just very hungry poor boy. The liquid didn't smell. I will keep a very close eye on him over the next couple of days and make sure he has enough to eat. He loves his food!

Poppy gets hairballs, and has also had illness with sickness and this was nothing like those.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just continue to monitor unless it becomes a regular occurance. It most likely was just a stomach upset which happens more often as cats age too. If it escalates call your vet and see what they say.

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will do. I'm hoping he was just really hungry (well, not hoping but you know what I mean!). He needs to get invested in the dry food. He's only 18 months old so fingers crossed its nothing bad.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some member’s cats was vomiting I posted this recently and this was what I posted here in :- Foamy Vomit..? and Cat Vomiting Almost Every Day For The Past Week :-

Cats throwing up liquids could mean many things. It could be a caused by a simple hairball to indigestion or something she ate and is indigestible items like a piece of string other objects like toxic chemicals or plants which is irritating her stomach to something much more serious in the system underlying a health issue.

Coughing could be that Tipps is clearing up her throat and maybe likely clearing hairball.
Clear liquid is likely to be gastric juices and mucus due to a long delay between feeding times or irregular eating. Mucus is a protective film that coats the stomach linings to prevent then acid from destroying the smooch linings. Clearing hairball usually is accompanied with white/clear foamy substance whether hairball is presence or not.

Yellow liquid or sometimes greenish are due to the presence of bile which when excreted gives the urine or feces the brown and yellow coloring. Bile does irritates and inflames the stomach as it moves backwards into the stomach and is natural for the cat to expel it by vomiting.

If liquid is pinkish, it means there's blood is presence and it could be from anywhere in the body system.

Change of food and eating fast can cause vomiting too.

If all these liquid vomiting or vomiting is a regular affair, it is a concern and best is to have Tipps checked by the vet. Observe and take photos or videos while she's at it and show it to the vet at the next visit. Hopefully it's not serious and it's just a simple hairball thingy.

Do keep us posted of the findings.
Thanks for your post.My rescue is vomiting clear fluid in the litter box with a bit of hair. He is not eating it's been less than 24 hours since I got him. He has a vet appointment in less than a week. Hopefully its just stress. I'll be following this post for more information.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hopefully he starts eating. Are you feeding the food that he is used to? If it gets to be day 3 and still not eating I would try to get him into the vet sooner. Try plain meat baby food without onions or garlic, many cats will eat that when they won't eat anything else. It is a temporary solution because it is not a complete food. Try warming the food, that amps up the scent which makes it more interesting to cats. This may sound strange but some cats will eat out of a paper plate when they won't eat out of a bowl.

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've given Milo his original food again and he's eating that and finishing Poppy's.

I bought a brand of dry food I know Poppy doesn't like (she's on a diet - fat shamed by the vet and she needs to stop begging) but Milo loves it, so that's good!

(As an aside - the dry food she doesn't like is in the tub behind my pillow where she begs throughout the night (it used to contain treats) and the proper food is on the floor. She needs to break the begging habit).

I gave him a bit of extra food, a different brand, as he was presenting as really hungry - he has more energy as Poppy is blind and doesn't move as much - but he decided he didn't like it and stopped eating it, hence going back on the original food.

Confused? me too!!!

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So we're back on track with regular feeding (nearly - I work odd hours at the weekend) and he's been eating better.

However, he's started growling and hissing at his food! It's not like Poppy is a threat as she's happily licking hers up - if anything, she should growl at him. Cats!!!