Vocal destructive cat

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted my cat a little over a month ago so I am still getting used to his behavior and such. He has come out of his shell a lot and is kind of crazy lol. I took him to the vet he got all bloodwork done came back great and they addressed my concerns about his behavior. He is veryyyy vocal. In the morning before his automatic feeder goes, after it goes off in the morning, and before I go to bed at night. He also trills a lot, from research I think that’s the correct word! Anyway, he’s super playful and can get kind of destructive. When I adopted him they said he was 4, and the vet thinks he’s probably 2. At night he tends to start playing with the blinds, curtains, and trying to jump on this big piece of furniture (I had to put tinfoil, he still tries!). I was just wondering if anyone has any advice. Literally as I am writing this he jumped on top of the furniture! It’s a really big piece so I get scared. I inserted a picture. I’ve had cats before but never to this extent of energy haha!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have any cat trees? Cubes,tunnels,tall and rectangular scratch posts,trixie puzzles and of course lots of chew toys and a banana

View attachment 470083
Yes! I have a cat tree and scratchers, getting a cat hammock probably. I have an interactive toy feeder thing and a tunnel and soooo many toys. What’s a banana?

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeoww brand catnip toys are the best, and one is in the shape of a banana.

Would he use a cat wheel?

Do you have a yard where you could build an enclosure so he could safely get some outside time?
I’ll look into that brand! I am moving out of my parents house and to an apartment in a few months and I don’t want to confuse him with an outdoor space that won’t be available soon!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In a few months he'll be that much older. He would benefit greatly from outside time now.

Also a cat wheel could really help him.

In your apartment you'll hopefully be able to put up climbing shelves etc, but that's for then :).

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In a few months he'll be that much older. He would benefit greatly from outside time now.

Also a cat wheel could really help him.

In your apartment you'll hopefully be able to put up climbing shelves etc, but that's for then :).
Do you have experience building an enclosure? I don’t allow him outside but with an enclosure I would consider it.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does he have a cat friend or is he a solo cat? Solo cats at a young age can be a lot more work. They don't have another playmate so they tend to get in trouble more...as they just have more time on their hands.

Rotating toys helps. Playtime with you helps and if you can find a toy he will go nuts for on his own that's great. For Magnus it was these real rabbit fur toys, for Calcifer it's his crinkle balls and for Ghost it's the plastic springs.

Clicker training can be helpful as it helps spend mental energy.

I wish I could be more help, having a similarly energetic cat but after trying all the tips I could find everywhere I gave in and got him two similar aged playmates. Things are much better now.

Morgana’s Human Morgana’s Human might have some better tips for you. Theyve had Morgana as a solo cat.

Morgana’s Human

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!

I’ve got a solo, almost 2 year old cat too (thanks for thinking of me A Alldara !). She’s been a lot of work growing up (and she still is!). There’s lots of good advice already, but figured I’d chime in, too.

What helped with Morgana is lots, and I mean lots, of playtime. She’s a highly energetic, demanding cat who needs lots of stimulation to keep her calm! She adores her wand toys the most. Da Bird is amazing - if you can get that, I can really tire her out by the jumps she makes! But just so you have some perspective, Morgana can and will easily demand at least an hour of playtime a day. Ideally, she’d like 2-4 hours. She’s bonkers.

Since she’s solo, what I’ve found recently are puzzle feeders are great. Morgana is a wet food eater mostly for digestion issues, but she has her favourite treats. I also found in the dog section some 100% chicken / lamb freeze dried toppers which work as fantastic treats on a budget! She’s very smart, so we’ve move on to intermediate dog puzzle feeders. She likes the treat ball, you can adjust the holes to make it REALLY hard to get them out and chase the ball around. Her most recent one, which is can now figure out in approximately five minutes, was a dog one which flips and kicks about until the treat falls out. I’m trialing some frozen “lick” treats with extras stuck in on a lick mat, but she’s not a fan of how cold it is! My next plan is going to be a snufflemat from the puppy section or a puzzle feeder where you have to turn so the treats fall out of the top into a maze!

Anyway - sorry, big ramble! Only advice I can give you is lots of playtime, it’s really improved her behaviour and get things to keep their minds occupied. While I would love to bring in a second to help bounce the energy, it’s just not possible at the moment due to budget. I’m looking into automatic toys while I’m out during the day, but sadly I’m struggling to find some that come on randomly throughout the day instead of 10 minutes after turning on.

The outside comment is a great idea. Sadly mine is a coward and runs away at the door being opened. Working on it, since she is lead trained! Once it’s not a constant storm in the U.K and warms up a bit, well trial it again. Best of luck! Please feel free to message for support. I completely understand the fear and sometimes frustration - heck, last night I was being driven bonkers as she started knocking stuff over she wouldn’t usually touch, despite playtime, because she wanted more and my attention!

The box comment is an absolutely fab idea - plenty of space of space for her to roll and destroy it!

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does he have a cat friend or is he a solo cat? Solo cats at a young age can be a lot more work. They don't have another playmate so they tend to get in trouble more...as they just have more time on their hands.

Rotating toys helps. Playtime with you helps and if you can find a toy he will go nuts for on his own that's great. For Magnus it was these real rabbit fur toys, for Calcifer it's his crinkle balls and for Ghost it's the plastic springs.

Clicker training can be helpful as it helps spend mental energy.

I wish I could be more help, having a similarly energetic cat but after trying all the tips I could find everywhere I gave in and got him two similar aged playmates. Things are much better now.

Morgana’s Human Morgana’s Human might have some better tips for you. Theyve had Morgana as a solo cat.
Thank you so much! I play with him so much and it seems I get tired instead of him lol! Once I move out, I am considering a second cat because I think he would benefit so much!

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

I’ve got a solo, almost 2 year old cat too (thanks for thinking of me A Alldara !). She’s been a lot of work growing up (and she still is!). There’s lots of good advice already, but figured I’d chime in, too.

What helped with Morgana is lots, and I mean lots, of playtime. She’s a highly energetic, demanding cat who needs lots of stimulation to keep her calm! She adores her wand toys the most. Da Bird is amazing - if you can get that, I can really tire her out by the jumps she makes! But just so you have some perspective, Morgana can and will easily demand at least an hour of playtime a day. Ideally, she’d like 2-4 hours. She’s bonkers.

Since she’s solo, what I’ve found recently are puzzle feeders are great. Morgana is a wet food eater mostly for digestion issues, but she has her favourite treats. I also found in the dog section some 100% chicken / lamb freeze dried toppers which work as fantastic treats on a budget! She’s very smart, so we’ve move on to intermediate dog puzzle feeders. She likes the treat ball, you can adjust the holes to make it REALLY hard to get them out and chase the ball around. Her most recent one, which is can now figure out in approximately five minutes, was a dog one which flips and kicks about until the treat falls out. I’m trialing some frozen “lick” treats with extras stuck in on a lick mat, but she’s not a fan of how cold it is! My next plan is going to be a snufflemat from the puppy section or a puzzle feeder where you have to turn so the treats fall out of the top into a maze!

Anyway - sorry, big ramble! Only advice I can give you is lots of playtime, it’s really improved her behaviour and get things to keep their minds occupied. While I would love to bring in a second to help bounce the energy, it’s just not possible at the moment due to budget. I’m looking into automatic toys while I’m out during the day, but sadly I’m struggling to find some that come on randomly throughout the day instead of 10 minutes after turning on.

The outside comment is a great idea. Sadly mine is a coward and runs away at the door being opened. Working on it, since she is lead trained! Once it’s not a constant storm in the U.K and warms up a bit, well trial it again. Best of luck! Please feel free to message for support. I completely understand the fear and sometimes frustration - heck, last night I was being driven bonkers as she started knocking stuff over she wouldn’t usually touch, despite playtime, because she wanted more and my attention!

The box comment is an absolutely fab idea - plenty of space of space for her to roll and destroy it!
I’m in the same boat! He only eats wet food and figured out his puzzle feeder sooo fast I have to get another. I will try a dog one that’s a great idea. Thank you!!

Morgana’s Human

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m in the same boat! He only eats wet food and figured out his puzzle feeder sooo fast I have to get another. I will try a dog one that’s a great idea. Thank you!!
Think of them like toys and regularly rotate them! We have 4 at the moment and collecting more so she’s not just using the single one :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have experience building an enclosure
I don't. I take Mr Captain out in his harness, and I also have a small-ish mesh tent for when I want him to be able to enjoy the outside from the relative safety of the deck but I'm trying to get chores done inside. However, these links have some fun and good information;

How To Keep Your Cat Safe Outdoors - TheCatSite

Cat Enclosures - Freedom Without The Risks For Curious Cats - TheCatSite

Building A Cat Enclosure - A Creative Project for Cat Lovers - TheCatSite

Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (Including 10 Actionable Tips) - TheCatSite

Last edited:

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some great ideas for indoor entertainment in this post:

Ideas for how to keep my cat entertained in the winter?

The first time Luna got up on the cabinet I was just a scared as you. Mostly she'll jump down on the kitchen table in font of the cabinet. The door to the living room is to the right with a recliner about 5ft away at an angle. My heart still skips a beat when she goes that way.

Are you putting foil up there? I'd be afraid that would be slippery and cause a fall. If the cabinet is stable (doesn't move when he gets up there) and has a safe way down he's likely to be OK.

Attachments

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some great ideas for indoor entertainment in this post:

Ideas for how to keep my cat entertained in the winter?

The first time Luna got up on the cabinet I was just a scared as you. Mostly she'll jump down on the kitchen table in font of the cabinet. The door to the living room is to the right with a recliner about 5ft away at an angle. My heart still skips a beat when she goes that way.

Are you putting foil up there? I'd be afraid that would be slippery and cause a fall. If the cabinet is stable (doesn't move when he gets up there) and has a safe way down he's likely to be OK.
I put foil on the finding room table which he usually uses to jump from. Lately he’s been going from the floor. I’m not going to put tinfoil up there because I am afraid of him falling!