Virus concern from cat who had fip?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m awake at midnight again :(
At least the cat is in my room with me
Yeah, insomnia is tough. I've heard/read all kinds of suggestions on how to help people sleep who have it, but personally, with me, it's an overactive mind and anxiety. I can meditate, pray, tell myself not to lie awake thinking at night, etc., but these work temporarily. Sleeping with cats really helps, though -- at least having loved ones close is warm and nice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don’t think I can take care of the animals anymore. I have no energy or interest for doing anything. What should I do?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How are you now? Do your parents know how you feel? You need to tell them because you will need to find good homes for them, and not take in this kitty.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My parents know I am not doing very well. My parents know how to take care of the cat and other pets but not as much as I know. I think it’s fine because we could send the cat back after the owner is done traveling. And the hamster and gerbils don’t live as long as the cat. For the fish all we need to do is feed, change the water and clean the filter.
I might want to take care of them again eventually but I really don’t know. For now I am still feeding all of them and maintaining their tanks/cages and stuff.
I mostly felt this way only after Mojo died. Empty and hollow. Nothing really makes me excited or happy anymore.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents know I am not doing very well. My parents know how to take care of the cat and other pets but not as much as I know. I think it’s fine because we could send the cat back after the owner is done traveling. And the hamster and gerbils don’t live as long as the cat. For the fish all we need to do is feed, change the water and clean the filter.
I might want to take care of them again eventually but I really don’t know. For now I am still feeding all of them and maintaining their tanks/cages and stuff.
I mostly felt this way only after Mojo died. Empty and hollow. Nothing really makes me excited or happy anymore.
Well, the thing about living beings is that they can't be dealt with that way, which I'm sure you know. They can't be put down and picked up again when a person is in the mood. So absolutely, everyone needs to be gotten to safe haven, whether in your family or elsewhere.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I know I can’t neglect the animals. I’m still doing their basic care and taking the hamster and gerbils into a playpen to play outside sometimes. If I really can’t do it then my parents and sister can do it. I could even give them a schedule of what to do for all the pets.
I wish something could make me feel like an alive human being again but nothing has improved for a really long time.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I know I can’t neglect the animals. I’m still doing their basic care and taking the hamster and gerbils into a playpen to play outside sometimes. If I really can’t do it then my parents and sister can do it. I could even give them a schedule of what to do for all the pets.
I wish something could make me feel like an alive human being again but nothing has improved for a really long time.
There are grief counsellors ("pet" loss groups) and general counselling services that may be helpful at this point.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I’m not grieving about Mojo anymore, in fact I don’t really feel anything about Mojo anymore but I’ve just been worse since he got sick. I have been going to a counselor/therapist for over a year now but it hasn’t helped.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I’m not grieving about Mojo anymore, in fact I don’t really feel anything about Mojo anymore but I’ve just been worse since he got sick. I have been going to a counselor/therapist for over a year now but it hasn’t helped.
Grief is a very personal process and no two people/individuals grieve alike. Numbness is often part of the grieving process. But if you have received no benefit from your current counsellor, you need to find another if at all possible.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mom has sent me to 3 different counselors, the first one my parents didn’t like, the second one made me really nervous, and the third one my parents like and hasn’t helped but hasn’t made things worse like the other 2.
I’m sure I’m not grieving about Mojo anymore.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom has sent me to 3 different counselors, the first one my parents didn’t like, the second one made me really nervous, and the third one my parents like and hasn’t helped but hasn’t made things worse like the other 2.
I’m sure I’m not grieving about Mojo anymore.
Maybe it will just take time for things to change. Sometimes there aren't answers to things, except to just keep doing the things you need to do every day, no matter what.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went through the same loss of all interest thing, was determined to therapy my way out of it, it wasn’t getting any better, so I worked with a psychiatrist to try medication. I can truly say SSRIs gave me my life back. I didn’t even take them for that long, just a few months, but it gave my brain chemistry the jolt it needed and I started to feel less stuck and bored than I had in a while.

I’m not saying meds will 100% be the right choice for everyone or that there are no side effects but it is an option and they help a lot of people.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve been taking meds for almost a year. First tried Prozac, but it had side effects. Then Zoloft but it didn’t do much. Next lexapro which had little to no effect as well, and after that I had a genetic test done to see which medicines would be most effective. I took Effexor for a while and started taking L-methylfolate supplements but it didn’t work either so the doctor added aripiprazole. Then the doctor switched aripiprazole to guanfacine since the aripiprazole wasn’t helping my tics. Now I take Effexor and guanfacine but it still hasn’t had much effect and I’m still gradually declining.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was carrying the brown cat near the room that the new cat is in (I wasn’t trying to introduce them at all). She hissed and scratched me. I also brushed the new cat and let the brown cat sniff his fur and she hissed. My parents want to return her now.
The new cat is very nice. He’s really playful and he likes to jump a lot.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My parents won’t keep the brown cat 😢