Vibes for dog hit by a car, please?

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As I was leaving work late, the only other person who was still at the office was the coming back into the building and pointed toward a lump in the gutter of the very busy street saying, "A dog just got hit...Who do I call?" I suggested animal control only because I couldn't think of anything else. She went in to make the call and I went over to the dog. He was very much alive - a white poodle mix. He had blood coming from his mouth but no other apparent injuries except for the fact that he was a crumpled heap in the gutter. :bawling:

A man stopped shortly after I stooped down to the dog. He saw it happen right next to him & came around the block to see what he could do. He said the car smacked the dog's hind end and kept going. He had the state of mind to check if he had tags (address & phone # but no name). He did & while the guy called 911 to find out who to call, I called his owner. It went right to voice mail & I left a message for them.

Laurie, the woman from the office, came back out & said animal control was closed but they were sending a cop to pick up the dog. She arrived pretty fast even though it felt like forever. Another man from the office came out & waited with us and helped carry the dog to the officer's car. She thanked us all for helping the dog & staying with him. I called the owners again to let them know where she was taking the dog and telling them that we hope he would be ok.

I petted the poor guy's shoulder the whole time we all waited. Except for when they took him to the police car I was the only one touching him. I just knew that if he didn't make it he should have compassionate touch from someone who cared. When the traffic slowed down we could hear him whimpering and crying.

He was taken to an emergency vet so he's getting medical care. Could you please spare some vibes for this little guy?

I was just happy that there were at least 4 people who cared enough about a dog they didn't know to stop their lives for a few minutes to help an animal in need.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh poor baby!!  I would have had to stop too!  I'm praying he is ok and that his owners are reunited with him and take good care of him through this!! 

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many 
and prayers being sent for this poor baby. You and the others are angels to stop and help him. Hopefully his owners are frantically looking for him and will find him. Please let us know if you hear anything.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Bless you and the other people for helping that poor dog. Sending lots of
 that he makes it through and his owners can get there.

I just don't understand the mentality of people sometimes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
GAH! I called the ER Vet where he was taken, where the officer said we could call for upates. They can't give out information on any animal that isn't yours. I thought as much but since she said we could I thought I would try. :( The front desk person said that he wasn't there now but she wasn't sure what that meant. If he made it through the night and they couldn't contact the owner he would be taken to a shelter, but obviously if the owners were contacted they could have taken him home or to their own vet this morning. Or there's the other possibility... :bawling:

So all I can do is keep thinking about that sweet white poodle-mix and send good vibes into the universe, and ask for the same. And hope that he's back with his loving owners who are nursing him back to health...

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was just happy that there were at least 4 people who cared enough about a dog they didn't know to stop their lives for a few minutes to help an animal in need.
:hugs: I'm glad for the dog that there were people around to help.
I hope he's doing OK. Kind of ridiculous privacy laws we have these days.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Heidi :hugs::hugs::hugs: for you and the other's rescuing this poor dog. You were a saint and great comfort for this little guy :heart3: How traumatic for you. I really hope this little dog IS alright :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Poor little guy. :vibes::vibes::vibes: that he's okay. Is the number still in your call log? Could you call the owners again to see if he made it?

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Heidi :hugs::hugs::hugs: for you and the other's rescuing this poor dog. You were a saint and great comfort for this little guy :heart3: How traumatic for you. I really hope this little dog IS alright :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
:yeah: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: It's heart warming that there were people that cared - but infuriating because someone hit the poor dog and just kept going. :eek:nfire:

Poor little guy. :vibes::vibes::vibes: that he's okay. Is the number still in your call log? Could you call the owners again to see if he made it?
Oh I hope this is a possibility!!!! :cross:

Add my :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for this boy that he's OK and either under the care of the family vet or back home. :heart3:

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you, everyone. I really appreciate the vibes for the pup and the kind words. I know everyone here would have done the same. I'm actually ashamed to admit that I did hesitate for a minute before going to him. I'm glad I did, though. It would have haunted me forever if I hadn't.

I truly cannot fathom the cold heart that beats inside whoever hit him and kept driving, and didn't even take a few right turns to come back. Nor can I understand the people who shot right past him on the busy road without a second thought. I can understand those who saw that he was being taken care of - I mean there wasn't any reason to have 100 people standing around on the sidewalk. I'm sure it wouldn't have made the poor dog feel any better.

I really don't want to call them again on the just-in-case-he-didn't-make-it chance. Since I just went through losing my beloved Ophelia I know how raw my emotions were. I couldn't bear talking to people close to me, let alone strangers.

I'm going to stick by the Pollyanna stance that he got the care that he needed and is either with his family or his regular vet. :anon: They have my phone number on the caller ID and I left it in the first message, in case they got home before help arrived. So I'm going to continue to send healthy :vibes: to him wherever he is and keep my head in the sand. :popworm:

Last edited:

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not that I'm defending the driver, but it's very possible that the driver hit the pup without realizing it, especially if he was driving a high profile vehicle (like a big truck or SUV). Heck, I probably couldn't see a small dog or a cat if it ran out in the road right in front of me and I drive a car. There is a reason why I pull into the entrance to our driveway, get out and feed the outdoor cats, then inch my way in little by little. Yes, my car is now a "herding" vehicle.

A friend of my at work recently was in the same situation. He left for work, got there with no problems, then he gets a text from one of his neighbors informing him he hit his dog. The wife actually saw it happen. The kids were at the bus stop and she was keeping an eye on them until the bus came. The dog (a beagle mix named Bandit) somehow got out of the fenced in yard and was running to play with the kids. Yes, this all happened in front of the children. 

Luckily, the dog survived, my co-worker was able to leave as soon as he found out able it and go to the vet to put his name on the bill. Luckily it was just minor injuries and Bandit was fine in week or so but it wasn't his fault. He honestly just didn't see him and didn't realize he hit him
I really don't want to call them again on the just-in-case-he-didn't-make-it chance. Since I just went through losing my beloved Ophelia I know how raw my emotions were. I couldn't bear talking to people close to me, let alone strangers.
I'm going to stick by the Pollyanna stance that he got the care that he needed and is either with his family or his regular vet.
They have my phone number on the caller ID and I left it in the first message, in case they got home before help arrived. So I'm going to continue to send healthy
to him wherever he is and keep my head in the sand.
Heidi, you did everything you could. Stop beating yourself up over this. You're still dealing with your own lost. Think of it this way....if the pup went to RB  YOU are the one that he bonded too and helped him in his last hours. He didn't die unloved. If he didn't go to RB, you are the one that made this possible by finding him help ASAP. I'm sure Ophelia is proud of what you did you help him which ever the case may be. You made her proud so what else can you ask for?  ((hugs))((hugs))

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got a phone call yesterday from Riley's owner. Unfortunately, he crossed the bridge either on the way to or shortly after arriving at the vet. :bawling: Dean and I talked for a while, he said Riley was definitely his dog; always at his feet. They dropped him and their other (14 year old) dog off at their dog sitter. Riley was freaked out and jumped the fence on Monday over a mile & 1/2 from where he ended up. They searched and searched that night - had at least a dozen strangers helping - and couldn't find him. Unfortunately the plane couldn't wait - they were taking the kids to California/Disneyland. He was hoping that a dog lover would find Riley and keep him safe until they returned. He was stunned when I told him that we called the police to get Riley to the vet. He was at a loss when I told him that I sat with him, petted him and tried to keep him calm until help arrived. The ER vet got a hold of him when they were in California since they could contact their regular vet. They tried to resuscitate him but it was too late. He had lung trauma, which is why he was bleeding from the mouth. They didn't tell the kids until they returned home, which was really hard for them.

Hope, he was a standard poodle and the guy who stopped after seeing it said it was a car that hit him. I have no doubt that they saw the dog, felt the impact, and kept going. :mad: Dean said he didn't blame anyone, but I do. I don't know that Riley could have been saved, but I know he wouldn't have suffered quite as long in a gutter if that "person" had stopped and done the right thing. Maybe I should have loaded him into my car and taken him to an ER Vet myself... I did what I could; what I could think of doing at the time.

Godspeed Riley. :rbheart: There were a lot of people who cared about you.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Heidi, I can't imagine how difficult that was. :heart3: How just horribly tragic this happened while the family was on vacation! But it must have been so comforting to for Riley's dad to know that his baby was not alone, that people cared, and tried to help. :heart3: :bawling:

I'm so sorry he didn't make it. :(

:rbheart: Wait peacefully over the bridge for your daddy to one day join you, Riley. :rbheart:

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for his family.