Vets, laws and declawing

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is legal where I live. I don't know how my vet(s) feel about the subject b/c I've never asked as I don't believe in declawing.
It's inhumane IMO.

def kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ziggy'smom

It's beyond me how a veterinarian that is supposed to work for the wellfare of animals can willingly perform such a barbaric procedure. How money can be so much more important than a cat's quality of life is unfathomable. But clearly it is.
Same can be said for routine circumcision, and yet few parents or doctors give it a second thought. It's given that the society will place more value on human children than on animals, so if this is done to children, it's hardly surprising that declawing is performed on cats.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's legal here. Our current vet will do it, as long as there is a medical reason for the person, or for the cat.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

I have honestly not grilled my vet on the subject. I kind of don't want to know, because if I found out he strongly supported de-clawing I'd feel like I would need to find a new vet, and I don't need the hassle.
My sentiments exactly!

Originally Posted by LDG

Declawing would never be nationally illegal in the U.S.,
I don't understand why??? What is WRONG with this country???

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Served like a side of fries w/ S/N here, at all the vets in the area.

There is even one vet who will declaw w/o spaying/neutering - and they ALWAYS ask if the pet is intact or not before the visit!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In the Philippines, it is illegal to "maim, torture, mistreat" animals. However, enforcement of the law is a problem (I don't think we have animal rights lawyers). Filipinos have so many things to worry about, animal cruelty is not top priority, although personally I think that if it is, things would be much better in this country. Animals teach us so much...
Anyway, back to the subject. My vet is against declawing but I know his clinic will do it upon request. He once had this rich client with pet tigers and the animals were declawed.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will point out that de-clawing big/exotic cats (anything not considered a domestic cat) IS illegal in the US, which is a step in the right direction. I'll bet it's still not hard to find a vet who will do it, though. Considering that many big cats are kept illegally, doing something else that's illegal probably doesn't bother them.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by threecatowner

Originally Posted by LDG

Declawing would never be nationally illegal in the U.S.
I don't understand why??? What is WRONG with this country???
There's no national animal cruelty laws, it's a State's Rights issue, and the only traction has been at the municipal level.

And technically the AVMA already IS anti-declaw unless it's a medical necessity, so the AVMA would need to feel public pressure to create some kind of... censure policy or something, for vets freely offering the services.

Here is the AVMA position statement: http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/apr03/030415c.asp

AVMA Position on Declawing

Declawing of domestic cats should be considered only after attempts have been made to prevent the cat from using its claws destructively or when its clawing presents a zoonotic risk for its owner(s).

The AVMA believes it is the obligation of veterinarians to provide cat owners with complete education with regard to feline onychectomy. The following points are the foundation for full understanding and disclosure regarding declawing:

1. Scratching is a normal feline behavior, is a means for cats to mark their territory both visually and with scent, and is used for claw conditioning ("husk" removal) and stretching activity.

2. Owners must provide suitable implements for normal scratching behavior. Examples are scratching posts, cardboard boxes, lumber or logs, and carpet or fabric remnants affixed to stationary objects. Implements should be tall or long enough to allow full stretching, and be firmly anchored to provide necessary resistance to scratching. Cats should be positively reinforced in the use of these implements.

3. Appropriate claw care (consisting of trimming the claws every 1 to 2 weeks) should be provided to prevent injury or damage to household items.

4. Surgical declawing is not a medically necessary procedure for the cat in most cases. While rare in occurrence, there are inherent risks and complications with any surgical procedure including, but not limited to, anesthetic complications, hemorrhage, infection, and pain. If onychectomy is performed, appropriate use of safe and effective anesthetic agents and the use of safe peri-operative analgesics for an appropriate length of time are imperative. The surgical alternative of tendonectomy is not recommended.

5. Declawed cats should be housed indoors.

6. Scientific data do indicate that cats that have destructive clawing behavior are more likely to be euthanatized, or more readily relinquished, released, or abandoned, thereby contributing to the homeless cat population. Where scratching behavior is an issue as to whether or not a particular cat can remain as an acceptable household pet in a particular home, surgical onychectomy may be considered.

7. There is no scientific evidence that declawing leads to behavioral abnormalities when the behavior of declawed cats is compared with that of cats in control groups.
Personally, I think they need to amend position #7, as JAVMA has published a number of articles indicating there are problems. But there have not been a large body of studies with large numbers of cats, with follow-up over a long period of time. But it is incorrect to say "there is no scientific evidence." It would be correct to say "there is no body of scientific evidence."

erinroro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Legal here - but I too have never asked my vet about it. I may be a 'crazy cat lady' but I think the love of an animal is worth more than any piece of furniture. In my experience declawed cats bite much more than 'whole' cats. I wish we lived in a more enlightened country!