Vets Can't Diagnose My Cat's Illness...can You?

kmsimons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an indoor-only 2yo neutered male, 13 lbs, (possibly a maine coon or forest cat mix)
He occasionally gets to go outside, but always under my supervision for maybe an hour total every week.
Diet has been the same for >1 year
Up to date on Rabies, FVRCP, and FeLV vaccines
Tested negative for FeLV/FIV

99.9% of the time, he is a completely healthy and happy cat. Yet, he has had two acute episodes exhibiting the same symptoms that only last for 24 hours, then subside.
- Loss of appetite
- Lethargy
- Vomiting (bile/liquid only)
- Fever (rectal 106.6 F)
- Bloody diarrhea (defecated 3 times within 30 mins)
- Weight loss (1-2 lbs within 6mos)
- Pain (although this is subjective, he would growl at me when I would try to pet him, which he never growls)

The first time he got sick, I took him into the vet right away. They thought it was just an "infection of unknown origin", so we just treated him for infection.

The second time he got sick, I took him in a couple days later when he started feeling better. Again, the vet found nothing abnormal.
We did blood, urine, and fecal tests (RBCs, WBCs, kidney, liver, & pancreas function, parasites, etc), and everything came back NORMAL.
Upon these results, the vet said it may be GI inflammation such as pancreatitis, gastroenteritis, IBS, colitis that exacerbates when certain triggers are consumed.

I was extremely surprised when his WBCs came back normal, considering he had such a high fever. I questioned whether or not the gap between the exacerbation and the tests was enough time for the WBCs to return to normal (we'll never know).

I think he is experiencing bouts of inflammation in his GI tract, which are triggered when he eats copious amounts of grass. At the same time, it doesn't make sense that he has been eating grass his entire life, and only randomly got sick twice.

I also thought maybe it could be pancreatitis, but his pancreatic enzymes are normal so it is highly unlikely, although not impossible.

What do you guys think? I'd appreciate any insight!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kmsimons kmsimons - A simplistic question, certainly, but is it safe to presume that the grass your cat is consuming is wholly under your care, free of systemic pesticides, and located where other Humans can't compromise its integrity?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh poor kitty! And it has to be frustrating that the vets can't diagnose what is wrong with him! I don't have any experience with this type of medical issue, but what is his diet like? Is he on wet food or dry, and what food is he eating? Sometimes the food plays a more important role than we realize.

1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine has good point, if he eats a lot of grass is the grass every treated with chemicals like Chemlawn? Maybe his grass-eating coincides with a pesticide or something, and so there is a perfect storm of when he eats a lot and when it's treated?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmsimons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The grass is on public property, so it's possible it could be compromised. I also questioned if he had just eaten the grass after using fertilizer or pesticides, but I have no clue.

My other cat is on the same schedule as him, and eats the grass as well. Same age, but never have had any problems with him.

kmsimons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh poor kitty! And it has to be frustrating that the vets can't diagnose what is wrong with him! I don't have any experience with this type of medical issue, but what is his diet like? Is he on wet food or dry, and what food is he eating? Sometimes the food plays a more important role than we realize.

1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine has good point, if he eats a lot of grass is the grass every treated with chemicals like Chemlawn? Maybe his grass-eating coincides with a pesticide or something, and so there is a perfect storm of when he eats a lot and when it's treated?
He's been on the same diet for about a year. Dry food is IAMS indoor hairball & weight control, and wet food is Friskie's.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
The easiest first move is don't let him eat grass anymore. Even if that is not it he's not supposed to eat grass anyway. Keep him on the porch or whatever is near the door when he is outside.

Finding a different vet to get a second opinion is harder but more important to do. This is popular advice here because many people need to see two or three vets to get an accurate diagnosis.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The grass is on public property, so it's possible it could be compromised. I also questioned if he had just eaten the grass after using fertilizer or pesticides, but I have no clue.

My other cat is on the same schedule as him, and eats the grass as well. Same age, but never have had any problems with him.
Perhaps your other cat's stomach pH is lower, accounting for the differences in digestion. The difference between a pH of 1 and a pH of 3 in a cat's stomach will vastly alter the ability to digest certain cellulose fibres, but won't much affect the digestion of animal proteins.

In all events - and this wholly personal opinion - allowing your cat to consume anything which isn't under your direct control is a gamble. I might consider growing grass indoors, rather than taking a chance on grass in a public place.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's been on the same diet for about a year. Dry food is IAMS indoor hairball & weight control, and wet food is Friskie's.
Have there been any recent formula changes, even minor, that is causing inflammation I wonder?
If the grass is public property and maintained, I can almost guarantee they use some kind of spray.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , that from the tests you list, Inflammatory Bowel Disease has not been ruled out. He needs an ultrasound of the abdomen and a biopsy if there are abnormalities.

The grass eating may be a red herring.

Good luck with your kitty, I hope you figure it out and get him appropriate treatment.

kmsimons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
has he been screened specifically for IBS or Megacolon?
No, he's only had the blood, urine, and fecal tests. I have the full list of results, so if you're looking for something specific I can give you the numbers.

kmsimons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have there been any recent formula changes, even minor, that is causing inflammation I wonder?
If the grass is public property and maintained, I can almost guarantee they use some kind of spray.
Not any changes that I'm aware of. I would be genuinely surprised if his food was making him feel ill. It's unlikely since he gets so sick without any indication.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not any changes that I'm aware of. I would be genuinely surprised if his food was making him feel ill. It's unlikely since he gets so sick without any indication.
Good point.
Another thought, you said he's UTD on vaccinations. Has he had any recently, or any boosters shortly BEFORE his first bout of illness?

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it's the grass. I wouldn't let the cats out. I know they want to go out but...sorry. No. You just never know with it being public and it probably has fertilizer on it or grub control poison. I think cats are like people in that sometimes things bug them and the other cat has no reaction. Blood in the stool is scary to see -- been there. It's generally a form a colitis. Try not letting the cat out and see if it clears up or never happens again. The colitis is generally treated with antibiotics and something like Prednisone to take the inflammation down.
My cat's IBD became apparent to me only after seeing blood in his stool. He died six weeks after being diagnosed. The only way it can be diagnosed is through an ultrasound and/or a scope. Very expensive.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's the grass. I wouldn't let the cats out. I know they want to go out but...sorry. No. You just never know with it being public and it probably has fertilizer on it or grub control poison. I think cats are like people in that sometimes things bug them and the other cat has no reaction. Blood in the stool is scary to see -- been there. It's generally a form a colitis. Try not letting the cat out and see if it clears up or never happens again. The colitis is generally treated with antibiotics and something like Prednisone to take the inflammation down.
My cat's IBD became apparent to me only after seeing blood in his stool. He died six weeks after being diagnosed. The only way it can be diagnosed is through an ultrasound and/or a scope. Very expensive.
Six weeks? I'm so sorry =(
Our digestive problem cat will occasionally have blood in his stool, just a little, and it's alarming but in his case it usually clears up on its own.
kmsimons kmsimons , I don't know your location or climate but is it possible to maybe reserve outings for fall/early spring, before/after (a rain) these things are sprayed onto grasses?
We shut our catio off and the cats haven't been on it for months. One girl developed random allergies and we're in the process of finding out what's causing it, and access to the outdoors is a no go for her. They were not happy at first, but they've adjusted. We hope to open it back up in September.

kmsimons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good point.
Another thought, you said he's UTD on vaccinations. Has he had any recently, or any boosters shortly BEFORE his first bout of illness?
Good question, and the answer is no! He had his last round of vaccines last year.

kmsimons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of your cat. I didn't think IBD was enough to kill a cat, unless they suffered chronic fever. Never heard of that happening before.

kmsimons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Six weeks? I'm so sorry =(
Our digestive problem cat will occasionally have blood in his stool, just a little, and it's alarming but in his case it usually clears up on its own.
kmsimons kmsimons , I don't know your location or climate but is it possible to maybe reserve outings for fall/early spring, before/after (a rain) these things are sprayed onto grasses?
We shut our catio off and the cats haven't been on it for months. One girl developed random allergies and we're in the process of finding out what's causing it, and access to the outdoors is a no go for her. They were not happy at first, but they've adjusted. We hope to open it back up in September.
We completely stopped letting them outside after his last episode 7 weeks ago. There was 9 weeks between his first exacerbation and his second, so I'm hoping this one doesn't come around like clockwork. After this last scare, my husband and I have both decided we're not going to let them outside as long as we're living in this apartment complex. We can't stand to see him laying on the floor half dead again with a 107 fever! We'll see if being indoor-only solves the problem.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We completely stopped letting them outside after his last episode 7 weeks ago. There was 9 weeks between his first exacerbation and his second, so I'm hoping this one doesn't come around like clockwork. After this last scare, my husband and I have both decided we're not going to let them outside as long as we're living in this apartment complex. We can't stand to see him laying on the floor half dead again with a 107 fever! We'll see if being indoor-only solves the problem.
107 fever????? I'd freak out.
=( I am so sorry you and your poor guy had to experience this. I really really hope it never happens again!
We had a little dog develop puking after every meal. Nausea was slim (only once did they lose their appetite) and stool was always 100% normal, perfect. Surgeries, X-rays, bloodwork, etc., showed all was well. It took a lot of work with a lot of vets but the problem was brought under control, and the triggers were identified. I hope the same is true for your little guy.