Vet's Best Hairball Relief - Interesting observation

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am seeing this for sale now on Ebay. Has anyone bought any there. And if this is pills, is it a struggle to get the cat to swallow them.
I find them to be actually kind of crumbly when I cut mine into quarters and I think they're intended to be "chewable". I give Caesar two quarters at a time. Sometimes he chews, sometimes he swallows them whole.

monkeymom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@peaches08  Sweet! The best price I've seen for these tablets is $4.99 at Chewy.com or Amazon. If only this site had my beloved Dr. Elsey litter and I'd be set :) And I haven't noticed a difference in the stool after feeding the tablets either. I usually give 3/4 tab/day/cat spread out into three feedings with extra for the hairball generator during shedding season and/or after a bath. I will probably decrease to 1/2 tab/day/cat soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got brave...too brave.  I took a 2.6 lb London broil (beef) roast and made some cat food.  I gave everyone a snack of it, everyone was fine.  I gave it as a meal with their Vet's Best on top as usual.  Gadget threw it up.  Guess I need to consider giving digestive enzymes?  Or just accept that he may never be able to handle a full-sized meal of beef?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have an answer. Sheldon scarfed down Lazlo's beef meal and didn't throw up, but I still haven't intentionally fed him a whole meal of beef. :lol3:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have an answer. Sheldon scarfed down Lazlo's beef meal and didn't throw up, but I still haven't intentionally fed him a whole meal of beef.
Did he have a full meal, or just part?  The snack he was fine.  Just not a full meal.  I watched him eat, he didn't inhale his food.  Hence I'm stumped.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I give Lazlo 2 ounces these days, even though he only needs 1.5. That way when he doesn't eat at the meal, or doesn't finish, I have a bunch to feed him between meals without having to make more.

He'd eaten a few bites. So there was at least 1.5 ounces - which for Sheldon, is more than a full meal, as he's only eating 1.25 ounces per meal now.

I gave it a partial test run this morning. I fed Sheldon 1 ounce of beef and 0.25 oz of chicken. He kept it down!

Next time he has red meat, I'll give him a full meal. :eek: . :lol3: . :cross:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so odd.  Same thing with Gadget, it is the amount of beef that matters.  The snack was a half meal, maybe 2 oz.  The dinner was more and he threw up.  Ugh!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tried it! I gave him a 100% beef meal last night. And IT STAYED DOWN!

Now what we don't know is if it is the Vet's Best.... or around 2 years of 50/50 red/white meat.

That said, earlier this year I did give him beef liver (freeze dried) without thinking about it, and he threw up. I guess I'll have to try that now...

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome!!!

Because I wasn't looking when I grabbed food to thaw last night, all I had on hand this morning was beef.  I microwaved it to 50/50 cooked/raw then added a little cold water to make sure they didn't burn their mouths.  Gadget kept it down!  I'm sure I lost some of the vitamins I add to the mix when I microwaved it, but Gadget looses more than that when he regurgitates his food so I say I'm still ahead and they don't get beef often enough to matter.  Over time I think I'll try the 50/50 raw beef/chicken and see what happens.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:nod: Sheldon could always eat cooked beef.

I did have to work UP to the 50/50 red meat/white meat. At first, the smallest bite of red meat had him regurgitate the meal. I don't remember how long it took.... 3 - 5 months, I think?

I just couldn't ever get it over that. But then I stopped trying .... so I don't really know for sure if it's the Vet's Best, or just that he can handle it now. It's been a long time since I tried to give him more.

...that said, as I pointed out in the other post, I did give him freeze dried beef liver not long ago, and that made him hurl. So I guess we'll know for sure if it's the Vet's Best or not if I get up the courage to give him his liver as freeze dried beef instead of chicken. ;)

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the same thing tonight, cooking it 50% of the way.  Gadget kept it down.  I'm still using chicken liver to balance meats, but I'm curious to see if Sheldon can keep down the beef liver.  I can get calf liver at the store...is there anything different about giving calf liver vs beef (adult) liver nutritionally?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know. My bandwidth sucks right now. You can compare at the USDA nutrient database: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

I would like to have the beef liver in his rotation - it's a good source of copper which is not short in the diet, but at the low-end without it.

If the site ever loads, I'll check. :lol3: ....yeah, not going to load, at least not right now. We're having serious signal issues (wifi is via wireless network, we don't have cable here). Right now I'm lucky if my posts are going through. :lol3:

I didn't get up the nerve to try the freeze dried beef at the organ meal this evening. :anon:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, we're not going to find out. I finished a bottle, and opened a new bottle from the new shipment. It is a new formula. I contacted Vet's Best. They switched from the wafers I had, to small, thicker tablets. They had to change the formula a bit for the new tablet vs wafer. My cats hate it.

:bawling:

I am using slippery elm bark syrup, which on top of everything else stopped the hairballs for Tuxedo. So, knock wood, this slippery elm bark syrup (with the egg yolks and lecithin) alone will do it. Otherwise I will have to attempt to recreate it myself, as another member did.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm.  Mine are tablets too, I just opened the second bottle last night.  I'll see if I can get a pic tonight and post it so we can compare notes.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we're not going to find out. I finished a bottle, and opened a new bottle from the new shipment. It is a new formula. I contacted Vet's Best. They switched from the wafers I had, to small, thicker tablets. They had to change the formula a bit for the new tablet vs wafer. My cats hate it.
I noticed this, too, with my new bottle. But I thought the ingredients were the same; just a different sized tab. I figured they just changed their mold. 
  Caesar still begs for them and enjoys them as though they are the same.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I contacted Vet's Best, and that's what they say. But something must have changed in quantity - because every single last cat hates them. Including Ming Loy, who usually eats anything. :(

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Not sure where people live but I was able to find some (after ordering) in my local grocery store in the cat food aisle for about 6 dollars. Now I just get them there. Glad to see so many are having success with this. It continues to be a fail, imo, with my cats. I wish I was as lucky. Meadow is throwing up weekly hairballs, Grace is still having issues, and Delilah was dry heaving last night. Either my cats are sickly or just immune to the stuff. I didn't get a reply about it changing the color of cat poop so I guess I'll just ask my vet.
There is a prescription hairball remedy called Capilex that your vet can get.    

To be honest it sounds like some serious health issues going on.... not just hairballs.    But I hope I am wrong.

Peace

Z