Vetriscience Probiotic

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Ingredients are kinda weird but surprisingly, my cats love the chewable pieces. I have never bought probiotics before. I hope I made a good choice
20190618_231938.jpg

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It was bought online, not from chewy unfortunately

Btw: I had to look the first ingredient up. It is the good bacteria. I assume the other ingredients are too minimal to count. Brewers dried yeast is nutritious for cats-also looked that up

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I personally give my cats a Human probiotic. No unnecessary fillers in those. They have no problem with the probiotic mixed into their food.

Fructooligosaccharides is a type of sugar. The bacteria is Bacillus coagulans.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This has only one bacteria strain in it.

FOS is pre-biotic. But prebiotics are non-specific in the colonies they promote. It could just as easily promote the growth of bad bacteria over good.

The rest of the ingredients make up a shelf-stable chew that your cats will eat. They aren't helpful as a probiotic in any way. They may even be acting like prebiotic promoting the growth of the wrong kinds of bacteria.

This is my favorite:
Pet Flora, Cat Probiotics Supplement | Vitality Science

There's 29 strains and no filler ingredients. It takes very little (1/4 capsule twice a day or 1/2 capsule once a day per 10 lbs of cat) and it's very effective. Any litterbox disturbances Krista has are generally cleared up in a dose or two of this. But I give it everyday and Krista has never failed to clean a plate with this in it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume the other ingredients are too minimal to count. Brewers dried yeast is nutritious for cats-also looked that up
The other ingredients are the bulk of it. The bacteria is negligible by weight. You are feeding a treat that has some (100 million CFU is not very much) of one bacteria strain. Not a good probiotic product.

Proviable DC from your vet's office would be a better product.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
The other ingredients are the bulk of it. The bacteria is negligible by weight. You are feeding a treat that has some (100 million CFU is not very much) of one bacteria strain. Not a good probiotic product.

Proviable DC from your vet's office would be a better product.
Thanks! That's what I needed to know.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
This has only one bacteria strain in it.

FOS is pre-biotic. But prebiotics are non-specific in the colonies they promote. It could just as easily promote the growth of bad bacteria over good.

The rest of the ingredients make up a shelf-stable chew that your cats will eat. They aren't helpful as a probiotic in any way. They may even be acting like prebiotic promoting the growth of the wrong kinds of bacteria.

This is my favorite:
Pet Flora, Cat Probiotics Supplement | Vitality Science

There's 29 strains and no filler ingredients. It takes very little (1/4 capsule twice a day or 1/2 capsule once a day per 10 lbs of cat) and it's very effective. Any litterbox disturbances Krista has are generally cleared up in a dose or two of this. But I give it everyday and Krista has never failed to clean a plate with this in it.
Giving a tablet to my cat is almost impossible so I was hoping for something chewable and tasty.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Giving a tablet to my cat is almost impossible so I was hoping for something chewable and tasty.
The Vitality Science probiotic comes in capsules. You open the capsules and sprinkle into the food. Same as Proviable.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buy the Finicky Trial pack I posted above. It's $16 plus shipping. They ship quick. Order today and you might have it by Friday.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

What about one that is sprinkled into canned food and mixed in? Human probiotics are in capsules but you just open it up and sprinkle the contents into food for cats.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I give Proviable DC daily to a cat that vomits frequently. As long as I give it every day, there is no vomit. If I forget for more than a day or so, he will start to vomit again. I also use slippery elm and make a syrup. This helps to coat the digestive tract and reduce inflammation. I mix the proviable (opened capsule), slippery elm syrup and a smidge of baby food. He loves it.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet recommended the proviable I have been using s boullardi for my ibs cat and that has really helped, fornthose using proviable is it worth switching to that?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Never tried that but if it works, why switch? I finally found
a food she can keep down. My vet thinks I should just feed her that. Though I want her to like other foods incase she gets sick

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
What about my cats that have no health problems. Do I still give them a probiotic? Not every day like my cat Peaches?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give it every day to every cat especially if they are eating dry food or food with other questionable starchy and carby ingredients like fruits and vegetables. If they are eating anything that isn't mouse or mouse-like (meat, moisture, and organs), the inappropriate ingredients can promote the growth of inappropriate colonies of bacteria in their guts. The imbalance of good to bad bacteria is what causes so many problems from diarrhea and vomiting all the way to IBD and lymphoma. Fixing the diet is best but cats eat what they eat and sometimes that's the best you can do. Giving a probiotic daily will help rebuild healthy, good colonies in hopefully large enough populations to starve out the bad, unhealthy strains. You'll know if you are giving too much probiotic (and there is such a thing) if their stools are loose or they get constipated.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. They are indoor only. None of their food has fruit or veggies. Only canned. They eat dr elseys clean protein and koha duck that both have one questionable ingredient and canidae pure chaparrel canyon.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Dr elseys more than one. They also eat evangers beef tips in gravey