Veterinary School Icu Vs. Local Vet Icu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherryangelajones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The details of this little guy's case are in my other post, but the short version is that he managed to crawl though our fence and get into our screened in porch Monday and waited for us to find him. No idea why he chose us to be his people, but he's so strong. He's such a fighter. It appears that he was attacked, and now he has a massive infection. The local vet is painting a grim picture, but this baby boy is purring, making biscuits, and talking loudly. He doesn't seem at all ready to give up. We told the vet to treat aggressively, so he's on IV fluids and antibiotics as of yesterday around noon (oral had started Monday morning). We visited him around 5 yesterday, and my daughter visited him a little while ago. He's holding his own, and it looks like he's sitting a tiny bit more comfortably today. Still, the vet is being noncommittal. I trust them, and I think he's getting good care. Also, we can see him frequently.

I'm wondering if it might be worthwhile to take him to the University of Florida Veterinary School ICU. It's a couple of hours away, so we won't get to visit him and let him know how much he's loved. Is the level of care worth stressing him with a move and us not being able to see him? We asked our local vet, but he's frustrating with his ability to answer all questions without answering. The only questions he's given a solid answer to was, "Will you tell us at any point if there's no hope and we need to let him go?" Thankfully, the answer was a firm yes.

received_2451649745066590.jpeg
received_508991756507479.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Oh, poor baby! He is adorable! Sometimes vets will consult with a vet university before you actually have to make a trip there - is this a possibility with your vet? If not, could you get all of your little guy's records and contact the university yourself?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... Is the level of care worth stressing him with a move and us not being able to see him? We asked our local vet, but he's frustrating with his ability to answer all questions without answering. The only questions he's given a solid answer to was, "Will you tell us at any point if there's no hope and we need to let him go?" Thankfully, the answer was a firm yes.
Some questions may only have vague answers at this point in time, although I don't know what your questions were. If it were me, I would leave Tiger where he is and keep visiting him and pulling for him!

...We told the vet to treat aggressively, so he's on IV fluids and antibiotics as of yesterday around noon (oral had started Monday morning). ...
I am glad you decided to take him to the vet and get treated with fluids, abx, and everything!
:redheartpump::gingercat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sherryangelajones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tiger didn't make it. We said the whole time that we didn't want to give up too soon, but we also didn't want to cruelly torture him. We were agonizing over finding the line. To that end, we wanted to follow his lead and fight only as long as he wanted to.

He was holding his own yesterday evening and even ate this morning. Then he took a turn for the worse this afternoon. When I got there this afternoon, he was clearly telling us he didn't want to fight anymore. He was still purring a little, but his voice was much weaker, and his entire demeanor was different. We loved and talked to him until all 3 of us were there. After being quiet for awhile, he started weakly purring and making biscuits again when the vet tech put him in my daughter's arms and he was able to lean against her. He spent his last little while in Bailyn's arms, and then the doctor pushed the meds through his IV, and the pain went away.

At the end, his penis and surrounding area was black and the exposed hip area in the photo I sent earlier had turned gray-black. He fought hard, but the infection was just too much. Poor baby boy.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
S Sherryangelajones the TCS team would like you to know that we are so very sorry for your loss. This little one was loved, if only for a short time, and that is a blessing. :rbheart:
Threads are locked after someone has suffered such a loss, as a sign of respect. If you would like, we invite you to place a tribute at our Crossing the Bridge forum as an enduring testimony to your friend.

...............................................RIP little one
........................................:greenpaw: :butterfly: :rbheart: :butterfly: :bluepaw:........................................

Status
Not open for further replies.