Vet trimmed claws way too short?

Animarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I took my female cat Veenie into the vet to be spayed. I noticed when looking at her paws that they trimmed her claws which is normal thing for a vet to do. The thing that concerns me is it looks like they trimmed her claw way too short and looks roughly done.
20230412_014334.jpg
20230412_014339.jpg

20230412_014401.jpg

Am I overreacting to this? I trimmed her claws before myself but I never went that deep.

Attachments

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Am I overreacting to this? I trimmed her claws before myself but I never went that deep.
Some of it looks kind of short and was clipped very near or into the quick. If it's into the quick, by now the blood should have clotted. I think your cat is ok and probably felt the pain while being clipped. If she's walking normally, she should be ok.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some of it looks kind of short and was clipped very near or into the quick. If it's into the quick, by now the blood should have clotted. I think your cat is ok and probably felt the pain while being clipped. If she's walking normally, she should be ok.
Thank you. I got her back earlier today and she has been resting and I didnt check her claws earlier. I saw them not to long ago and it scared me a bit. I am glad to hear that she should be okay. I am not a fan of what they did and will try to prevent it from happening again.

Last edited:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you. I got her back earlier today and she has been resting and I didnt check her claws earlier. I saw them not to long ago and it scared me a bit. I am glad to hear that she should be okay. I am not a fan of what they did and will try to prevent it from happening again.
If your cat cat is not walking with difficulty, she should be ok. Clipping the quick (that's where the blood vessel is) is very painful and depending on how deep it was clipped. The deeper it is, the more bleeding but at the clinic, they have a stop bleed powder called Styptic powder. At home you can stand by corn starch if you happen to clip the nails at the quick.

If your cat is ok with you clipping her nails at home, next time ask the vet not to clip her nails when she visits the clinic. Tell them you'll do it yourself.

Animarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If your cat cat is not walking with difficulty, she should be ok. Clipping the quick (that's where the blood vessel is) is very painful and depending on how deep it was clipped. The deeper it is, the more bleeding but at the clinic, they have a stop bleed powder called Styptic powder. At home you can stand by corn starch if you happen to clip the nails at the quick.

If your cat is ok with you clipping her nails at home, next time ask the vet not to clip her nails when she visits the clinic. Tell them you'll do it yourself.
Yeah she seems to be walking okay after the drugs they used for the spaying wore off. Yeah I will have to tell them next time. They didn't ask me before hand and every other vet I had before(before moving to where I currently live)had been way more gentle when trimming

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yeah she seems to be walking okay after the drugs they used for the spaying wore off.
That's good.

I usually just clip a little more than the tip on my boy's nails avoiding the quick. It's harder to gauge if the cat's nails are of a darker color.

Here's a guide if you need it :-

IMG_2512.JPG IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2514.JPG

Animarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's good.

I usually just clip a little more than the tip on my boy's nails avoiding the quick. It's harder to gauge if the cat's nails are of a darker color.

Here's a guide if you need it :-

View attachment 447570 View attachment 447571

View attachment 447572
I don't go anywhere near the quick when I trim. I only trim just enough so it doesn't hurt so much when she kneeds me or climbs me. Basically barely any more than the tip.

My old vet in the place I use to live would trim my male cat's claws in front of me during the annual exam and they were always gentle. He wouldn't even make a fuss when the vet trimmed his claws.

Thanks for the pictures, they are very helpful.

Last edited:

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't let the vet trim my cat's claws any more. He always cut too short and the last time made her bleed. I was upset when I saw my cat's white paws spotted with red.

Animarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't let the vet trim my cat's claws any more. He always cut too short and the last time made her bleed. I was upset when I saw my cat's white paws spotted with red.
That's awful. I am sorry the vet put your cat through that.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't be 100%, but (to me) it doesn't look like the quick was cut, but the nail was cut very close to the quick. I'm sure if you just tell the vet that nail trimming won't be necessary from now on, they'll skip it for you. Most people can't/don't trim their cats claws themselves, so when a cat is under for surgery the technicians do it to avoid an extra visit, cost, and stress for the cat and owner.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's the vet techs usually who trim.

If you don't want them to trim for you, you can ask for a note to be put on your file. At my original vet I did this as a tech made Nobel's claw bleed.

The third photo looks okay. The first photo concerns me. The splitting in the second photo is likely that that claw would have shed a shell recently so that happens. It's normally for little triangles like that to come off when a cat scratches their posts. That one just hadn't yet.