Vet said clavamox. Label says amoxicillan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In their system, they would most likely have the name of the actual drug. It would keep things much clearer for all the staff and vets. So it would print out as Amoxicillin, not as the brand name "Clavamox".
I have gotten a package of Clavamox before and the vet label said Amoxicillin.
You did not get ripped off, they are the same thing.
THANK YOU!

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And another thing to note. If you got it from your vet, then you know that this formulation of amoxicillin is safe for use in cats. For example, the time release Clavamox brand name FOR HUMANS, is not recommend for cats as they may not absorb the same way. They are both technically the same drug, but formulated different. The Amox you found online for cheap may not even be a safe alternative for your cat, and it also did not include the dispensing fee that ALL vets charge.
Also...14 dollars is not an inflated price, she did not gouge you.
THANK YOU!

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How is your cat doing?
Thanks for asking. I took him in for possible kidney failure. It's possible he just has a uti (which the antibiotic IS helping). He was peeing every 2 hours - now, not nearly as often. I'll see in a few weeks whether he had healthy kidneys or not

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes. He had a complete test done which was $175. (I also thought that was crazy compared to in the past.) ANYWAY.... he isnt peeing as he was before the vet visit (every 2 hours). So.. it's possible even though it appears he could be in kidney failure - that it's just a uti. I have to take him back in a month.

ara11

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought i found an honest vet. Was this a lie??? I told her i wanted to buy online. She told me to look up clavamox and i saw it was pretty expensive so i bought from her. I just looked on label and saw amoxicillan....
Thanks for any input
Actually, clavamox is augmentin -- a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanate. It is a more expensive antibiotic than amoxicillin. so she should have written both meds on her label. clavulanic acid and amoxicillin.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. He had a complete test done which was $175. (I also thought that was crazy compared to in the past.) ANYWAY.... he isnt peeing as he was before the vet visit (every 2 hours). So.. it's possible even though it appears he could be in kidney failure - that it's just a uti. I have to take him back in a month.
I was just wondering cause my VET is charging 170 some dollars for the senior profile bloodwork now..and it was 140 some...What type did you get..cause I may have missed you mention your cats age...But its well worth the price to know whats going on...And I agree with jen jen about the blood work should have told the vet something about the kidneys...

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, clavamox is augmentin -- a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanate. It is a more expensive antibiotic than amoxicillin. so she should have written both meds on her label. clavulanic acid and amoxicillin.
Thank you, that is what I was trying to say from the start. Amoxicillin is just that. Clavamox is amoxicillin PLUS clavulanic acid. Not exactly the same thing although often used interchangably.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was just wondering cause my VET is charging 170 some dollars for the senior profile bloodwork now..and it was 140 some...What type did you get..cause I may have missed you mention your cats age...But its well worth the price to know whats going on..

My 9 year old cat recently had blood work done. A CBC, chemistry panel, and T4 came out to $215.38. There was also a urinalysis and culture done, a tech fee, and a medical waste fee so the total bill was a bit higher. Most vets are happy to provide you with a full invoice with all the procedures done and what each cost.

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all again for your help! Tigger is 16! My first cat! The blood work is labeled on the bill as comprehensive panel with cbc for 175. Im hoping that's right. The cbc alone is like 35! But yes as long as this vet is honest.. Then paying tgat is worth it for sure.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vet costs do vary from city to city, urban area vs rural, even between hospitals within the same city, etc. $35 for just the CBC is pretty good. My cat's CBC alone cost $79.88 but it's a full service hospital with a 24/7ER, very smiilar to a hospital for people only the patients mostly have 4 legs and fur with the occasional scaly or feathered patient.

How is your cat today?

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do think he just had a UTI. just finished his "clavamox" :) today. drinking a lot but peeing normally instead of every 2 hours. I did just get him low phosphorus food which if he isn't in renal failure I dont think is healthy.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could possibly rotate foods, such as Weruva, Natural Balance and Merrick Backcountry with the food you obtained.