Very Soft Poo

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well many vets are unfortunately not well educated in nutrition. I found out about raw food from my own online research and my vet was actually against it. But i tried it and it worked and I haven't looked back since. It was literally an instant cure. It's not as convenient but diarrhea is definitely not convenient or pleasant either.

Check out catinfo.org if you have some time. Has tons of info on cat nutrition and it's actually a vet's website.

I hope your vet doesn't keep your cat for too long. Your cat would be so stressed from that. And yes when it comes to dietary issues it can take a long time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi @Vanhorne86,
no, no news.
She's still the same, loose poo every day. Several times a day. I've seen she's pooing especially early in the morning, once at 6 am, and 3 or more times in the evening/night, between 7 pm and midnight.

I'm going to begin the 7th pack of Fortiflora.
I've just learned that two kittens that I have adopted out two days ago have loose stools too. Hopefully this is only stress-related because they have changed home. Both were at the vets' though, never came home with me.

I don't think it's food allergy either. She had firm stools when she came home with us. And she was eating the same thing she was used to.

My opinion is that something is in the air!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well many vets are unfortunately not well educated in nutrition. I found out about raw food from my own online research and my vet was actually against it. But i tried it and it worked and I haven't looked back since. It was literally an instant cure. It's not as convenient but diarrhea is definitely not convenient or pleasant either.
OK, but why did it happen in the first place? She was fine when she arrived home and I kept feeding her the same food she was eating before.
And it happened the same thing to another kitten I had been keeping home for a few weeks.
And now it happened to two kittens that I have adopted out on Monday and that were never at home with me.
Weird!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is weird. But more understandable with kittens. They seem to have sensitive stomachs. There are always posts about kitten diarrhea. Was your 5 month old on any meds right before you got her?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only med she got was half a pill of Drontal and some drops of Frontline. This was 15 days before I got her, and three weeks before this thing started.
A few days after I pilled her again, then she got the Advocate.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the last news are as follows.

On November 28th she finished her course of Spyramicin and Metronidazole, of course with no improvement. A couple of days later the vet told me add another probiotic. It is for human use, and contains 8 different strains of good bacteria.
The vet said that if this wouldn't work, nothing else would.

So off we went with those big caps, twice a day. I was expecting something in two or three days, but after 6 days with no results I called the vet again and she offered to keep the kitten at their practice for a couple of days, until things were fixed. She had offered the same service about ten days before, but I wanted to see if things were going better at home.

Well, the kitten was admitted on Thursday evening. On the following day her poop was still soft, same thing on Saturday but the vet was optimistic.
On Sunday and Monday everything was fine, her poop was normal, the vet also sent me two photos of the kitten's stools to prove what she was saying.
So yesterday after work I went to pick the kitten up and bring her home.

Her first reaction at home was weird, as she had never been there before, she didn't know the place or us. Four hours later all habits were restored.

This morning I woke up and found loose poop in the litter, nothing have changed.

Now I think it is something in my home. But what?
We have no houseplants, no chemicals left unattended. She's been eating the same thing in the last 8 weeks, the food the vet told me to feed her. Drinks fine, pees a few times a day. She's playful, active, loving and purring.

I don't know... Some says it can be stress, she doesn't like our home or environment, she's better off in a cage at the vets' than at home.

Another thing I have noticed, and the vet says not to worry about, is that the kitten is breathing fast, 60 bpm when she sleeps.
Her sister at the shelter does just the same, but she poops fine, they say.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you thought about testing your home for mold? Long shot, but you never know...

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you thought about testing your home for mold? Long shot, but you never know...
My home is "healthy" from that point of view. All house is dry and mold-free.
Some think of a stress-related soft stools.
I'd like to start a new thread in "behavior".

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When she was at the vet and her poop firmed up, did they mention what they did with her? medications, fluids, different food...or did they simply monitor?

Just had a thought...is there a chance she is eating her litter? Is the litter you use the same as the one at the vets???

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When she was at the vet and her poop firmed up, did they mention what they did with her? medications, fluids, different food...or did they simply monitor?
I asked them, they said they did nothing, they just monitored her.
They didn't even feed her the food I took with the kitten, and this was the food I was told to buy. I was told to forget the food she was used to at the practice when I rescued her and took her in. They told me that that food wasn't right for her issue.
Well, guess what, during the stay at the vets' they fed her that "bad" food! :frustrated:
Now, I refuse to believe that a cheap food is much better for her problems than a premium grain free food.
And anyway, in the first 8 days at home I gave her that food and she started having soft stools, so of course we changed her diet.

Just had a thought...is there a chance she is eating her litter? Is the litter you use the same as the one at the vets???
No, I'm sure about this, she doesn't eat her litter.
The litter might not be the same as the other one, but it's pretty much alike, mineral, clumping, white in color.

I'd like to think that the soft and creamy poop from last night was a one-off, a coincidence, and when I go home later everything is fine.
But if in the next hours things are the same, I will tell the vets again!

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds like there is stress in your home or something you are not aware of. What if it's your water? If the cat does OK at the vet and not at your house, something is off.
You are fostering this cat, right?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grain free food gives my cats loose poop. Is that what they are eating?

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I switched my cats years ago to 100% grain free thinking I was doing them a favor and they both got diarrhea. Our vet told me don't fall for that, it's a fad. Now I do give her a can now and then because her dry food is high fiber grains and I want her to get more protein.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like there is stress in your home or something you are not aware of. What if it's your water? If the cat does OK at the vet and not at your house, something is off.
You are fostering this cat, right?
We'll, I'm kind of fostering her, it's a very long story. She's been with us for over two months now. I'm considering rehoming her.
The water in my home and the vets' comes from the same source.
If it's stress, then it's better off for her to be rehomed.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I switched my cats years ago to 100% grain free thinking I was doing them a favor and they both got diarrhea. Our vet told me don't fall for that, it's a fad.
The vet told me to feed her grain free food. I was giving her a different food at the beginning, then this story began, we switched to gastrointestinal food, and eventually to grain free wet and dry.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know how compassionate you are from all your posts. You are probably a fantastic foster parent but something is going on. There don't seem to be any answers for this. It might be interesting to see if anything changes if someone else takes the cat.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how compassionate you are from all your posts. You are probably a fantastic foster parent but something is going on. There don't seem to be any answers for this. It might be interesting to see if anything changes if someone else takes the cat.
I'm trying to rehome this kitten, but this is also the wrong moment of the year for such things.
People are either busy with Christmas preparations, or a kitten will be asked for using it as a gift to a friend, and we all know how these gifts very often end up :sigh:

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you test your cat for virus? Both calicivirus and coronavirus could cause a chronic diarrhea like that. Corona is a diagnosis of exclusion, I think.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you test your cat for virus? Both calicivirus and coronavirus could cause a chronic diarrhea like that. Corona is a diagnosis of exclusion, I think.
The only tests the cat had were 4 fecal tests on 4 different specimens on different occasions, and the FIV-FeLV test (negative to both).
The cat has no other symptoms that might us think of any other disease or infection.

Because of this poop problem, we couldn't give her vaccines and couldn't spay her.