Very Sick Kitten Got Bad Habits And I Am Desperate!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toby-monkey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did, and it worked sometimes, but other times it drives him even more crazy,
im starting to think he is just FULL OF BEANS :D im having him out more often and he is a bit calmer im just afraid he will pop his knee again. He is like an old person:D Maybe i had him restricted too much and he was constantly amped up
he is playing with tinfoil with his limpy self :D

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might have a point about the pent up energy and him being a bit calmer if allowed out more often!!

I am sure you already asked the vet about some kind of temporary support for his knee - is there such a thing?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
6 months is pushing the buck a little, it's rare but sometimes they outgrow these things (the knee).

toby-monkey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You might have a point about the pent up energy and him being a bit calmer if allowed out more often!!

I am sure you already asked the vet about some kind of temporary support for his knee - is there such a thing?
i dont know, its called luxating patella or something like that its rare with cats its more of a dog thing, his knee pops out and then in again but for him it only happend twice, and the vet showed us how to put it back in again, he is limping and im sure he is a bit sore with it but the way he goes nuts in his playpen and now out and about the knee is still in. i might bring him in next week to chcek him out he is due to be nutured anyway soon, he is calmer but he is still agressive and doesnt want to be petted or cuddled. he runs away from me like he is sick of being in that thing and he associate me with going in and the fun over. and i understand his frustration but i cant have him out without me watching him because im afraid he will hurt himself. his playpen is pretty big its one of those foldy ones like an octagon thingy and he is out for hours and i put him in to nap and then when im going to bed

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i dont know, its called luxating patella or something like that its rare with cats its more of a dog thing, his knee pops out and then in again but for him it only happend twice, and the vet showed us how to put it back in again, he is limping and im sure he is a bit sore with it but the way he goes nuts in his playpen and now out and about the knee is still in. i might bring him in next week to chcek him out he is due to be nutured anyway soon, he is calmer but he is still agressive and doesnt want to be petted or cuddled. he runs away from me like he is sick of being in that thing and he associate me with going in and the fun over. and i understand his frustration but i cant have him out without me watching him because im afraid he will hurt himself. his playpen is pretty big its one of those foldy ones like an octagon thingy and he is out for hours and i put him in to nap and then when im going to bed
Did he give the patella a "grade", a number between 1-4? Most vets can estimate how bad it is by just feeling around when it pops in and out, a 1 is minor, and a 4 is bad.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he take naps? our most recent girl was 5 weeks old when we got her. She wouldn't take naps, maybe she was afraid we'd disappear like her mom and sibs did if she slept when we were awake. The problem was the tried she got the wilder she got, some what like a human two year old. I've read of other kits having the
same problem. Now your boy is much older, but cats need to take naps, they are constructed to sleep alot.

What we did was when our cat got frantic/hyper we put her in her carrier - it had a cushion, a large stuffed toy and a couple of small toys. Then, and this is important, we threw a towel over the carrier. She slept. She screamed until the towel went over the carrier, then she'd fall asleep. It really helped her temperament.

We also discovered before she was a year old that she had arthritis on her spine. The only way to tell is with a full body x-ray. Vets don't think of x-rays for cats this young, you will have to ask. The vet gave her something expensive metcap, which she was allergic to. We then put her on dasuquin, which is not expensive, is over the counter and Chewy sells.

It has made a thousand worlds of difference in her temperament. The biting stopped with the first time I hissed at her. The scratching became a normal amount. The frantic temperament, the anger, both left. She became a normal kitten, which occasional freak outs, but not the desperate ones. Pain has a bad affect on everyone, but especially little ones who just want to play/

toby-monkey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did he give the patella a "grade", a number between 1-4? Most vets can estimate how bad it is by just feeling around when it pops in and out, a 1 is minor, and a 4 is bad.
he didnt give him any grade but by watching him i can see it hasnt popped out for a few months he only limps and i think his leg is sore a little, but he runs and jumps and the knee seems to be holding.

toby-monkey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What we did was when our cat got frantic/hyper we put her in her carrier - it had a cushion, a large stuffed toy and a couple of small toys. Then, and this is important, we threw a towel over the carrier.
/
He takes naps, he loves napping and furry blankets and hot water bottle. he nurses on the blankets and purrs, he is on the chair now sleeping.
Putting him in the carrier wont work as he loves being in a carrier :D it used to be his house when he was very fragile and he loves traveling too in it, he just rolls on his back and plays with the walls of the carrier :D he is funny little dude.
I think you are making a point of his temper and pain, i think that is a lot to do with it, i think he associates me with pain a bit because i had to clean him when he was very sore in his bum and paws and eyes, he was screaming and it was breaking my heart but i couldt let him be covered in poop as it was leaking out on to his fur from the mineral oil because he was fierce constipated for a week and it was so bad it matted and his fur fell out in patched it was horrible, he stopped eating and i was juts waiting for the worse and just force fed him water the vet wasnt happy and wanted to put him down but he said if his liver fails he has to. So i prayed for it not to happend and this other man prayed for him too and that night he made the biggest poop ever and he started meowing and he was hungry and hasnt stop eating ever since so im not trying to make this a religious thing but it was a big miracle for me. and the vet was ecstatic and he knew when i came in with a smile he is ok and i said i came to show him off :DD haha so they were laughing.
but because of this experience we never really bonded and im trying to show him im not going to hurt him anymore but dont know how. he likes nose kisses tho i noticed so if i dont touch him he is ok and doesnt bite me. but as soon he sees me going at him with my hand he gets agressive and starts biting my hand and kick it and all that

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I truly believe the farther you get away from having to constantly treat him for something, and allow him some freedom, he will come around. He's had a hard life, but thanks to you he has a life - he knows that too, even if he doesn't always act like it. He is still very young, so you and he have lots of time to become better buddies!! Don't force the cuddling, he will come to you - as he does on occasion already! :catrub:

toby-monkey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I truly believe the farther you get away from having to constantly treat him for something, and allow him some freedom, he will come around. He's had a hard life, but thanks to you he has a life - he knows that too, even if he doesn't always act like it. He is still very young, so you and he have lots of time to become better buddies!! Don't force the cuddling, he will come to you - as he does on occasion already! :catrub:
you are right i think he needs time and freedom and he didnt have that so i will leave him be even when he is so CUTE when he relaxes and then you are just itching to give him a kiss and he doesnt like that so ill keep away:D

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have any advice, but I wanted to chime in and say you are awesome and such a kind soul for rescuing the little guy!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A miracle is a miracle. Bonding happens when it happens. Actually, it's already happened and you just haven't realized it. Kit likes being in the same room with you. He feels safe and PLAYS in your house with his stuff. he doesn't spend all his time hiding. This means he is bonded to you. You are mom, you are his siblings. Cat love is rough, just like cat play. Calm curled up in your lap??? That's for old cats, like those of 3 or 4 years. This kit's got energy to burn and he's all for sharing it with you, his absolute BFF!!!!

Still suggest you use the carrier if you need to sleep. You can put it on the bed beside you. I know it's really hard to sleep with those sharp little claws pricking at you to see if you're awake.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he didnt give him any grade but by watching him i can see it hasnt popped out for a few months he only limps and i think his leg is sore a little, but he runs and jumps and the knee seems to be holding.
In a lot of cases, the knee will pop out, and after a step or two will slide back into place. It might give him some arthritis in that knee as he ages, you could always see about using something like cosequin if that happens :)
I think of it this way, he's had this probably from birth or at least very young. It's what is, and feels normal to him because he's known no different. Same with the blindness, that's what's normal to him and (as you have said) it doesn't slow him down one bit ;)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
out of everything I read when the vet thought my dog was going blind (the vet was wrong) the dogs and kits accept their reality. they don't fight it, they get on with their lives. The main thing you can do is not re-arrange the furniture. Put tape or some strip of a different kind of rug by the stairs, (same type of different rug at all stairs top and bottom) and he's good.