Very Sick Kitten Got Bad Habits And I Am Desperate!

toby-monkey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I am new to this forum. This will be a long post but i really need your opinion as
Jackson Galaxy is too busy ;). Last winter i found a kitten that was starved he was 2weeks old and nearly dead, by grace he survived as i was feeding him formula. But his gut didnt develop properly and his eyes are underdeveloped as well. He was either very constipated or had diarrhea from mineral oil so he was sore, scabby, bloody, and patchy, and i had him confined in a big carrier as he had cat flu as well and he was always cold and sore. I had to handle him to give him eye drops and wipe his bum which was agony for him and i think since then he hated my hands or being handled. He is doing fine now, he is 6months old but lives in his big playpen as his has this knee condition that pops out of place(what hasnt he right) he is also blind and dependent on mineral oil but that is not the issue. long story short he is very aggressive, he starts to wiggle and scratch and he locks himself around your arm and bites you, he bites my face and scratch me as well. he doesnt understand NO and blowing or putting him back to his house makes him even more aggressive. He doesnt growl or hiss but goes pure bonkers. Then he snaps out of it and can be good for like a minute. He lets you nose him and he can purr sometimes on your lap. I have no way of rewarding him as he doesnt know what a reward is.He is on mushy food and doesnt know treats and cat food means nothing to him as he has his own and even when i tried to use his own food as reward he wouldnt eat it only at his food times. HE IS SO STRANGE! I dont know how to get through to him. I play with him trying to get him tired but he is good only for a short while. He doesnt know ho to use his toilet properly either, i feel like a terrible pet owner :/ . I have 7 other cats and they are no way like him but they werent so sick as this one.
Please help me. Thank you for your reactions.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are a kind and wonderful soul for helping this kitten. Clearly, he would not have survived without your ministrations. However, as much as I wish it weren't true, no one on this or any other board--or any internet page for that matter--can effectively treat this kitten. He needs a vet, desperately so I believe. Cats are fantastic at hiding pain and even though he may act fine he may not be. And after all your loving care you certainly don't want him suffering. Please get him to the vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I agree with every sentiment made by lavishsqualor lavishsqualor ! Bless you for taking care of this little guy!! If you haven't had him to a vet, that would indeed be the first thing to do - getting him a complete and through vet check up.

Once that has been done, and anything the vet finds is being treated, let us know how things progress with that - and then we can offer any behavioral issues that might remain!

If he has already seen a vet, let us know that too and what the vet had to say about his overall condition.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toby-monkey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has been in a vet every week of his life, he is well known chap:D they even minded him when i went abroad and called him a monkey as he was cheeky. Now i agree it has been a month he hasnt been in. Last time he got his vaccines. his over all health is Good he just have these chronic things like the lazy gut and the knee condition and is partially blind. But i will go with him again and see. Im sure he must be in some kind of pain with his bum still or he is overly sensitive i dont know. I wanted to find him a home as he was a foster but at this stage i might keep him

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We probably went down the wrong path with you regarding what to do about him. You sound like you are already on top of his health, and are doing for him what you can. I was just concerned about his food and the mineral oil, but in re-reading your post, you are not concerned about it and feel as if you have that pretty much where it all needs to be for him. I also worry about his knee, but again that is coming from an outsider who has no clue if there is anything that can be done for it - I am sure you are already in tune with that aspect as well.

Is there any chance his aggressiveness has to do with not knowing what to expect since he can't see? Sudden movements that most of us humans take for granted as being no big deal? Have you ever considered establishing a set of 'commands' (words) to relate to each event occurring? Coming into the room = a certain word, touching/picking him up = another word, taking him to the litter box = another word, correcting a behavior = another word, etc? We usually advise to hiss or say a firm 'No' for correction purposes, and it has to be done each and every time for it to eventually become effective. Blowing in his face is probably a bit overwhelming for him, I am guessing since he can't see where it is actually coming from - and, therefore could actually have the opposite effect.

Also, regarding the litter box - monitor when he is most inclined to go (e.g.; after eating, drinking, before taking a nap - any pattern you can find) and place him in the box at those times. Otherwise, do it on a schedule as best you can. Any poo outside the litter box can be placed in the box until the next time, to reaffirm his smell in there.

Also, you need to have an enzymatic cleaner you can use for those places he goes outside the box - if he can smell it there, he will likely go there again and again. And, since he has an issue with his knee, I would guess a low sided litter box would be best for him? There are also cat attract powders that can be added to the litter to help encourage use of the box.

You really do need to find a treat he can eat to use for a reward. You know best what his system can tolerate, but can he eat a piece of turkey or a bit of smelly tuna as a treat?

I know there is more than just what I have suggested, but at least it is start.

Here are some articles about living with a blind cat - maybe some of it will help you to come up with ideas of your own?

Raising a Blind Cat

Living with a Blind Cat - PetPlace

Last edited:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens will latch on and bite and kick with their back claws with their litter mates as a form of play and learning how to be a cat. If he was only 2 weeks old and didn't grow up with other kittens, he may just be socially awkward and not sure that people aren't other kittens and don't play the same way they do.
I also bet that being blind has something to do with it as he can't see what he's biting or kicking at. The knee problem could be something he was born with or it could be due to being starved and his knee joint just didn't form the right way as he was growing.
Either way, I hope the little guy calms down for you a bit and grows up into a happy, healthy cat :wave3:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi :welcomesign: thank you for adopting him and loving him! :goldstar:

I think I would look into trying things like forti flora for his gut issues. I agree with everyone about finding a treat he can eat. I would also look for noisy/scented/lighted toys. Plus I would make the same sounds for what thing is coming followed by words. So three taps plus hello, is ‘hi I’m here.’ A certain fake meow you make or whistle followed by the word food, means food. Cats learn body language then our words. Sounds are easier then words to learn. I would also try to stick to a daily schedule. How does he act around the other cats? The other cats could teach him better than you how to cat, play with him and hopefully build up his confidence.

Lastly I have seen people do laser therapy or acupuncture or water physical therapy for animals/dogs/cats. It might be worth looking into.

toby-monkey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We probably went down the wrong path with you regarding what to do about him. You sound like you are already on top of his health, and are doing for him what you can. I was just concerned about his food and the mineral oil, but in re-reading your post, you are not concerned about it and feel as if you have that pretty much where it all needs to be for him. I also worry about his knee, but again that is coming from an outsider who has no clue if there is anything that can be done for it - I am sure you are already in tune with that aspect as well.

Is there any chance his aggressiveness has to do with not knowing what to expect since he can't see? Sudden movements that most of us humans take for granted as being no big deal? Have you ever considered establishing a set of 'commands' (words) to relate to each event occurring? Coming into the room = a certain word, touching/picking him up = another word, taking him to the litter box = another word, correcting a behavior = another word, etc? We usually advise to hiss or say a firm 'No' for correction purposes, and it has to be done each and every time for it to eventually become effective. Blowing in his face is probably a bit overwhelming for him, I am guessing since he can't see where it is actually coming from - and, therefore could actually have the opposite effect.

Also, regarding the litter box - monitor when he is most inclined to go (e.g.; after eating, drinking, before taking a nap - any pattern you can find) and place him in the box at those times. Otherwise, do it on a schedule as best you can. Any poo outside the litter box can be placed in the box until the next time, to reaffirm his smell in there.

Also, you need to have an enzymatic cleaner you can use for those places he goes outside the box - if he can smell it there, he will likely go there again and again. And, since he has an issue with his knee, I would guess a low sided litter box would be best for him? There are also cat attract powders that can be added to the litter to help encourage use of the box.

You really do need to find a treat he can eat to use for a reward. You know best what his system can tolerate, but can he eat a piece of turkey or a bit of smelly tuna as a treat?

I know there is more than just what I have suggested, but at least it is start.

Here are some articles about living with a blind cat - maybe some of it will help you to come up with ideas of your own?

Raising a Blind Cat

Living with a Blind Cat - PetPlace
Thank you for your suggestions, funnily enough i have fostered 6 blinds cats and i done routines with them regarding toilets and food and all that, but i didnt do routine with him as i let him wee where he wanted as any sign of movement was like a miracle, so i think this is where i went wrong, no routine and no commands, and he is freaking out with sudden movements. so i might do that routine again with him i hope its not late to teach him and get the toilet scent thing. the other blinds didnt need it i can see his sense of smell isnt great tho as he struggles to find his bowl sometimes.
His knee can be corrected the vet said but when he is a bit older.
ill try the tuna as well and see but i am afraid because he can get constipated very easy thats why he is on mineral oil and baby food, he is like a porcelain doll:D i love him very much. Thank you for your suggestions and ill keep you updated. definitely will start with the litter box. Oh and the NO words he doesnt respond to that. he responds to EEK but he only stops and leaves and looks for something else to beat up. he doesnt want to cuddle or be petted.

toby-monkey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First, wow, you are amazing for how much care and love you've given this little guy!
Is he on any medications? With his origin and all his other health problems, I'd be shocked if he didn't have some brain damage as well.
i was thinking he might have some issues mentally or lets say developmentally he is about 2 months behind. He doesnt even meow most of the time

toby-monkey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i was thinking he might have some issues mentally or lets say developmentally he is about 2 months behind. He doesnt even meow most of the time
but i wonder was it my fault i didnt train him in any way, because he was so sick i couldnt teach him anything he was for months only lying down and putting on weight as he was very skinny

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thankfully, since he is better now, you can begin to use the training techniques you've used before. It might take a while longer for them to become effective, because he is a little bit older, but I can't imagine it isn't doable.

he responds to EEK but he only stops and leaves and looks for something else to beat up.
This is not unusual from any kitten/cat actually - he is stopping what you want him to stop when you tell him "EEK", which means he understands that 'command'!! However, that doesn't mean he won't move on to something else. Kind of like a toddler, you know?

Yes, PLEASE do keep us posted!!!!

toby-monkey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi :welcomesign: thank you for adopting him and loving him! :goldstar:

I think I would look into trying things like forti flora for his gut issues. I agree with everyone about finding a treat he can eat. I would also look for noisy/scented/lighted toys. Plus I would make the same sounds for what thing is coming followed by words. So three taps plus hello, is ‘hi I’m here.’ A certain fake meow you make or whistle followed by the word food, means food. Cats learn body language then our words. Sounds are easier then words to learn. I would also try to stick to a daily schedule. How does he act around the other cats? The other cats could teach him better than you how to cat, play with him and hopefully build up his confidence.

Lastly I have seen people do laser therapy or acupuncture or water physical therapy for animals/dogs/cats. It might be worth looking into.
very good suggestion, commands and words seems to be the key, the routine.
he is ok with other cats, he plays with one of them but
Thankfully, since he is better now, you can begin to use the training techniques you've used before. It might take a while longer for them to become effective, because he is a little bit older, but I can't imagine it isn't doable.

This is not unusual from any kitten/cat actually - he is stopping what you want him to stop when you tell him "EEK", which means he understands that 'command'!! However, that doesn't mean he won't move on to something else. Kind of like a toddler, you know?

Yes, PLEASE do keep us posted!!!!
I will :) Thank you for your advice
here are some pictures of him before and after

20181110_113808.jpg
20190117_151709.jpg
20190118_215110.jpg
20190223_151342.jpg
65208665_2247044018683099_5725193396360640877_n.jpg

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We probably went down the wrong path with you regarding what to do about him. You sound like you are already on top of his health, and are doing for him what you can.
:yeah:

Toby Monkey, you are A W E S O M E and your efforts on behalf of this kitten are completely selfless and kind. Thank you for taking such wonderful care of him!:worship:

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
but i wonder was it my fault i didnt train him in any way, because he was so sick i couldnt teach him anything he was for months only lying down and putting on weight as he was very skinny
In my mind, no, not at all your fault! For the first months he was in your care, while other young kittens are completely dependent on their mom for all feeding and bathroom needs....you wiped her butt! Did you do anything her mom wouldn't have done?

This poor guy is always going to be a 'special needs' cat.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww what a cute little thing. I too want to thank you for the kindness, love and compassion you have shown this kitten. The world needs more people like you. When he is biting you, have you tried a very loud hiss? I found it worked well with one of my guys