Very Sad: My Older Cat Hates My Younger Cats Since They Got Back From The Vet

djryanash

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few days ago I took my 6 month old kitties to be neutered. I brought them home on the after noon of the same day. The female had the plastic cone around her head (to prevent her from pulling out the stitches). As soon as sh got out the carry bag, she tried to run. It completely freaked my older cat out. Now my older cat is hissing and swatting at the younger cats whoever she has a chance and spends most of her time as far away from them as possible.

Previously, when I first adopted the young cats, I took it very slowly introducing them and it really paid off. They became fast friends and there was no animosity between any of them.

I really don't know what to do to repair the relationship. It's made me very sad. :(

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
A few days ago I took my 6 month old kitties to be neutered. I brought them home on the after noon of the same day. The female had the plastic cone around her head (to prevent her from pulling out the stitches). As soon as sh got out the carry bag, she tried to run. It completely freaked my older cat out. Now my older cat is hissing and swatting at the younger cats whoever she has a chance and spends most of her time as far away from them as possible.

Previously, when I first adopted the young cats, I took it very slowly introducing them and it really paid off. They became fast friends and there was no animosity between any of them.

I really don't know what to do to repair the relationship. It's made me very sad. :(
I have never experienced this with my cats but have seen other people on here discuss it. I believe it has something to do with the scent of the cats that went to the vet. Cats are very sensitive to the scent of other cats and the cats that went to the vet smells different.

There is this thread for you to read through, not exact same as you but close. You can click or touch the title of the thread to take you to the thread.

Cat Suddenly Hates Sister

Last edited:

HopScotchFreda

Dutiful Servant to Socks, Boots, Fig and Kadota
Kitten
Purraise
Hello fellow newbie ;) Is the female still wearing the cone? That could be part of the problem. Plus after being at the vets, they now 'smell' completely different to your older cat. I would think re-introducing them, as if it were the first time will help.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
P.S. Welcome to The Cat Site. Lots of experienced people on here, a little patience and understanding you should be able to turn the situation around. All the best to you and your kitties :)

Last edited: