Very new to cats

belochka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Just would like to introduce myself. I am very, very new to cats. It's just that my family just rescued a very sweet cat and now we all have tons of questions.

Ideally, we would like to find him a good home, but in the meantime, we are looking for the information on how to keep this furball healthy and happy.

So you will probably see me posting a lot of questions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belochka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hi everyone,

Just would like to introduce myself. I am very, very new to cats. It's just that my family just rescued a very sweet cat and now we all have tons of questions.

Ideally, we would like to find him a good home, but in the meantime, we are looking for the information on how to keep this furball healthy and happy.

So you will probably see me posting a lot of questions.
Just would like to add a question to my intro post:

I am really, really new to cats.

So, what should I expect in terms of what is normal and what isn't?

That is, is there anything I should watch out for, keep an eye on? E.g., certain behaviours that are normal and those that aren't; what could be red flags in terms of behaviour, physical and emotional health?

I understand that it might be impossible to describe all of the above in details, but I would like to know at least some very fundamental, essential things/symptoms/etc. to look for.

And since this is a rescue cat (i.e., a cat that went through different homes, the last being abusive) - any tips on how to best help this cat learn new routines etc.? He is very sweet right now (knock on wood :)), but we would like to know what may unsettle him etc. (so that we accidentally do not do that).

Thank you!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! 
  And thank you for taking this boy into your home and looking out for him.   Below are two articles that should help you with some basic information about cat care.  Is there any reason you can't keep him?  You mentioned you would be looking for a new home for him so I am just curious.  Also, what is his name?
[article="32804"]How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home  [/article][article="32695"]New Cat Checklist What You Need To Get Before Bringing Kitty Home  [/article]
Is your cat hiding or coming out to mix with the family?  It is usually recommended that a new cat have a "safe room" with food, water, bed, toys and litter box but some cats jump right into the swing of things.  If your boy does want to hide, be assured that this is perfectly normal.  Some cats hide for a few days and some for much longer.  

I don't want to overwhelm you with too much information so will just mention a few basic things.  First, your kitty needs affection and understanding.  If he has been neglected or abused, it might take her awhile to trust you.  Let him come to you on his own time.  You can encourage that by playing with him and tempting him with treats.  There is a huge selection of cat toys on the market but one that most cats love is Da Bird.     It's a wand toy and cats love to chase it and leap up in the air after it.  This will also give him the exercise he needs.  He should also have a soft toy, like a stuffed animal.  Consider getting him some catnip toys as well.

The article below might give you some more ideas.  Also, check out the toys in our Review section:  http://www.thecatsite.com/products/category/toys-treats
[article="22399"]Top Selling Cat Toys  [/article]
He might benefit from having some vertical space.  Consider investing in a cat tree so your boy can climb up and perch up on high.   This can provide a refuge, as well.  And speaking of refuges, even once he has come out of his safe room,  try to set aside a place where he can go to get away from it all.  Even a cardboard box can be a "fort" but many cats like to hang out under the bed.  You could also make a cosy  nest in his carrier for him.

In terms of food, most cats do better on canned food than dry food because of the added hydration.  There is a greater tendency for cats to come down with UTI's when they eat only dry food.   Below are some articles about cat food you might find helpful.   
[article="29707"]How To Choose The Right Food For Your Cat  [/article][article="33149"]Best Cat Food Of 2015 Tcs Member Choices  [/article][article="31144"]Top 5 Brands Of Wet Cat Food Our Members Love The Most  [/article]
Litter boxes are another important issue. The rule of thumb is one box per cat plus one.  Below are some articles that will help you know what is involved:
[article="32366"]How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats The Ultimate Guide  [/article][article="0"]Litter Box Maintenance  [/article][article="22302"]Litter Box Location Secrets  [/article][article="31189"]How To Choose The Right Cat Litter  [/article]
He will also need to be groomed.  Some cats enjoy this, some don't.  If your boy enjoys being brushed, this can be a bonding experience. This is also an opportunity for you to check for fleas, skin irritations or any injuries.   Check out the article below for some information on this:
[article="30084"]7 Reasons Why You Really Should Groom Your Cat Regularly  [/article][article="29666"]How To Properly Care For Your Cats Coat  [/article]
And finally:  THE VET.  Have you taken him to the vet for a check-up?  He will need to be tested for the usual cat diseases and be vaccinated.  He will probably need to be dewormed as well and treated for fleas.   It is always wise to have your vet picked out before you have a problem.  Also make sure you know where the closest emergency vet is.  It is uncanny how often cats get sick or injured after normal business hours.
[article="0"]How Do I Choose A Veterinarian For My Cat  [/article]
You asked about things to look for that might indicate a problem.  Cats are very good at hiding pain but may show discomfort in other ways.

Loss of appetite

Lethargy

Litter box problems

Not drinking water

Drinking too much water

Coughs, sneezes and congestion

I know I have not begun to cover everything and hopefully someone will jump in with the things I've forgotten.  Hopefully this will get you off to a good start.  Just give that little boy lots of love!  And take photos - we love to see photos.  
    You can also post specific questions in the appropriate forum, e.g. health or behavior.   Have fun with your new kitty!  

Edited to correct gender of kitty.  

Last edited:

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome! How old is your cat? Pictures are encouraged!

@Margd  wrote out the basics very clearly! Cats are very rewarding pets but they behave much differently from dogs, so there is a bit of a learning curve. Cats also weren't bred for specific purposes like dogs were, so I think there's a lot more variability in personality and behavior. They'll do some weird things sometimes, and mostly that's just cats being cats, but if you're ever in doubt, you can make a quick call to your vet and make sure there's nothing to worry about.

Keeping him indoors only is very important! Most cats are fine with it, and outdoor cats have an average lifespan of only about 5 years because it is so dangerous. Some people like to walk their cats on a leash and a harness or create outdoor enclosure, both of which are safe options for cats who prefer some outdoor time.

Make sure you get him microchipped, just in case he gets spooked and bolts out an open door one day. You can contact the microchip company to change the contact info for the chip if he's adopted by another family.

A monthly flea and tick medication is a good idea. Revolution is probably the most comprehensive, as it protects against fleas, ticks, roundworms, hookworms, and heartworms. 

Because this cat has been abused, there will be certain motions, gestures, and sounds that make him nervous. Some of these will make sense but some will be unpredictable and you'll have to pay close attention to identify some of his triggers. But there are motions that will make him much more at ease. For starters, when you approach him, try to be low to the ground, for example, crouching or sitting, rather than standing and towering over him. Come to him from the side rather than straight on. To pet him, offer him your hand to sniff by keeping it below his face. You can also make your hand into a fist and hold it still so he can rub against it to start a petting session, or use one or two fingers at first and gentle stroke the top of his head. These are all friendly gestures that are similar to how cats interact with each other.

Catnip might be fun for this guy and also a good way to help him relax, if he responds to it. Only about half of cats react to it, but if he does, you can buy it loose and let him roll around in it or get catnip toys that he can play with.

That's all that comes to mind for me right now that Margd didn't already cover. Good for you for doing research about cat ownership!

belochka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
THank you very much Margd and Molly92!

I am definitely going to read all those links. I've already been browsing the forum - man, so much to learn! A bit overwhelming, though :).

@Margd- yes, ideally, we are looking for a good home for him. The reasons are many and kind of complicated. One of the reasons is I am involved in helping with small animal rehab (which includes squirrels and other rodents). And we rent a small apartment. So our space being so small it is beyond risky to keep a cat and small rodents in the same space.

Besides space and risk of keeping a predator and its prey in the same apartment, it is also a matter of time. Taking care/raising orphaned wildlife (these small mammals) is time-consuming. Besides, I am in grad, school which is also time-consuming. Thus, half of my time is spent either with my school and work, the other half - with small mammals rehab.  All of which means that this cat may end up alone too often. I think it's unfair to him.

I understand that all animals, whether wild or domestic, cats or dogs (or small rodents :)) have complex psychology and emotional lives and need sufficient socialization, love and affection.

I feel it will be very unfair and unhealthy for this little guy to be alone for prolonged chunks of time, especially, if I end up having to keep him in a locked space (bathroom, or another room - if we get to rent something a bit bigger than where we are right now) to prevent him and the small mammals in rehab from meeting each other.

Another reason  - being a grad. student without permanent income, and other family members are currently unemployed due to the economic situation, I am afraid we cannot afford all potential expenses, including vet care. As one saying goes, "If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet."

I take animals very seriously and do not want to take one on only to realize I cannot provide the best conditions.

Yes, we've already brought him to the vet for vaccinations and everything else, and it's already been over $400 not including food and other necessities. And more vet visits are to come, which means more expenses.

These are just some factors (there are also some family - specific). So, that is why we are looking for a good home for him. Which, turns out, is not an easy thing to do.

We do not want to give him to just anyone.

We want to ensure that the person has experience and realizes that this is a life-time commitment.

And that keeping an animal takes a lot of adapting and compromises on the human's part, a lot of patience etc. But so far these kinds of humans are all already taken :) by multiple four-legged furry ones (the people I know already have several cats and dogs and some other creatures and cannot take in anymore).

So right now I am very worried about this little guy's future. I would love to keep him, but given what I've mentioned above, I am not sure I can (or should).

I will probably post about him in the appropriate forum - just need to learn how to navigate this site :).

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

THank you very much Margd and Molly92!

I am definitely going to read all those links. I've already been browsing the forum - man, so much to learn! A bit overwhelming, though :).

@Margd- yes, ideally, we are looking for a good home for him. The reasons are many and kind of complicated. One of the reasons is I am involved in helping with small animal rehab (which includes squirrels and other rodents). And we rent a small apartment. So our space being so small it is beyond risky to keep a cat and small rodents in the same space.

Besides space and risk of keeping a predator and its prey in the same apartment, it is also a matter of time. Taking care/raising orphaned wildlife (these small mammals) is time-consuming. Besides, I am in grad, school which is also time-consuming. Thus, half of my time is spent either with my school and work, the other half - with small mammals rehab.  All of which means that this cat may end up alone too often. I think it's unfair to him.

I understand that all animals, whether wild or domestic, cats or dogs (or small rodents :)) have complex psychology and emotional lives and need sufficient socialization, love and affection.

I feel it will be very unfair and unhealthy for this little guy to be alone for prolonged chunks of time, especially, if I end up having to keep him in a locked space (bathroom, or another room - if we get to rent something a bit bigger than where we are right now) to prevent him and the small mammals in rehab from meeting each other.

Another reason  - being a grad. student without permanent income, and other family members are currently unemployed due to the economic situation, I am afraid we cannot afford all potential expenses, including vet care. As one saying goes, "If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet."

I take animals very seriously and do not want to take one on only to realize I cannot provide the best conditions.

Yes, we've already brought him to the vet for vaccinations and everything else, and it's already been over $400 not including food and other necessities. And more vet visits are to come, which means more expenses.

These are just some factors (there are also some family - specific). So, that is why we are looking for a good home for him. Which, turns out, is not an easy thing to do.

We do not want to give him to just anyone.

We want to ensure that the person has experience and realizes that this is a life-time commitment.

And that keeping an animal takes a lot of adapting and compromises on the human's part, a lot of patience etc. But so far these kinds of humans are all already taken :) by multiple four-legged furry ones (the people I know already have several cats and dogs and some other creatures and cannot take in anymore).

So right now I am very worried about this little guy's future. I would love to keep him, but given what I've mentioned above, I am not sure I can (or should).

I will probably post about him in the appropriate forum - just need to learn how to navigate this site :).
I wish everyone understood the responsibilities of adopting a pet the way you do!    It might take a little while, but hopefully you'll find someone who will be able to give this little guy the home he needs..
 And bless you for taking care of the squirrels and other small rodents.   You're doing important work!  

belochka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your encouraging words, Margd!
(love the smiley :))

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a wonderful thing you're doing for this cat! 

Do you have any rescue organizations that do adoption events in your area? They might be willing to help you get this cat adopted out to a good home if you agree to foster it for them. Every group does things a bit differently, but where I volunteered, they would have you fill out paperwork to become a foster, and you would keep the cat in your home and bring it in on the weekends to the pet store they had adoptions at and put the cat's information on their website. They would provide food and litter for you, and they would cover vet visits and medication costs. As an established organization, they have access to a lot of cost saving opportunities and discounts that an individual does not. As a foster you could also set up whatever parameters you thought were best for what family the cat went home with, and you could require meeting the adopters yourself and even a home visit before the cat was adopted out. The adoption fee would go to the organization to help cover costs.

The catch would be that you might be encouraged to use the vets they use, which you may not be as comfortable with as a vet of your own choosing, and the food and litter quality might depend on what was donated or was cheaper. But you could get around those if you paid out of pocket (or were really insistent/persuasive). They would also probably bug you a bit about continuing to foster other cats once this one was adopted, which of course you could decline.

The group I volunteered with (it was a local branch of the Humane Society) would have absolutely loved to help you out like this. Space is usually the biggest restriction these groups have on taking in new animals, so if you could provide that, it wouldn't be very difficult to help out with the rest. And as a bonus, you'd have access to a group of people who have years of experience taking care of cats if you need their help.

I'd look for a place that routinely keeps cats in foster homes. Some places keep all of their cats at a shelter, some have all of them in foster homes, and some have a mix. Going to their adoption events and talking to an experienced volunteer in person rather than calling into their hotline will probably give you better results.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi & welcome to TCS! I think between Margd & Molly, they've got you covered! 
  Lots of great info there for you.  Yes, we love pictures!  
What a wonderful thing you are doing. Bless you!