Very Doting Mother

mprpladi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is doing such a great job feeding them and cleaning them she plays with them too, but they are approaching 5 weeks soon. I have feline pine litter ready in a shallow cardboard box and kitten food both wet and dry ready for the 4 kittens. Will she know when to let go of the kittens? She is letting them explore but she did move the litter from a suitcase because they were escaping to a pet stroller, maybe she feels they need more of her nursing until they get bigger? IMG_20180404_194226.jpg

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well they are still quite a few weeks away to be weaned and leave her, 8 weeks MINIMUM, ideally 10-12. Sounds like you are ready and she will show them when she is ready, she may still let them nurse even when they are eating kitten food. Do you have 2 momma cats there or is that the dad? I hope he has been neutered as she can get pregnant again right away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mprpladi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Blue was neutered on April 3rd. She should be next, then the 4 kittens correct?
I also have 1 outside only feral male he is neutered as well. I am glad I asked, but what about the kittens using the litter box and is feline pine good for the kittens? I have read no clumping litter and I like feline pine from Trader Joe's

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blue can still impregnate the intact girls for awhile (a month or so I believe). Keep that in mind.

I think the pine litter or anything that isn't clumping is great for the kittens in case they ingest any of it.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
The pine litter is great! Jen is right, Blue can still impregnate females for up to 4 weeks after his neuter! I would separate them!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens can be neutered at 8 weeks and at least 2 pounds.

trickytree

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There's no need to separate Blue from the mother cat. On rare occasions a recently neutered male can impregnate a female but as she is getting spayed in the next few weeks, this is moot.

I would arrange her spay surgery when the kittens are eating wet and solid foods and are using the litter box on their own. This is normally by 7-8 weeks of age.

Some cats do not like pine litter (my two do not) but you could offer the kittens two litters box - one with pine and one with a regular non-clumping litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mprpladi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What type of food should I introduce the kittens to? I have a variety. I have regular dry Purina kitten food and Instinct chicken grain free kibble, as well as against the grain wet, Trader Joe's Tuna for cats, some kitten wet food from Walmart The pet store said no small batch raw because the kittens may get diarrhea
The Mom cat has been grain free for 2 months and has really thrived, and the kittens are still nursing.