Very Confused

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I adopted Sophie 10 days ago now. When she first arrived, she was the cuddliest, most loving and gentle thing. She adapted very well to her new home and was constantly on me. I quickly figured out that she wasn’t feeling well as she wasn’t eating and took her to the vet 3 days after she arrived. She had an infection to her spay scar. The vet put her on antibiotic and she felt better within 3 days so much so that on a Friday she ate one of her toy mouse. Back to the vet again and today she passed the mouse. Today, she is like a different cat. She doesn’t want me anywhere near her and if I start petting her, she’ll either walk away or bite me. Not love bite, proper but with leg kicking and all. I am so worried that this is the real Sophie and that she was only this perfect furball of affection simply because she was sick. It would be so disappointed if it was the case.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The bite with leg kicking is play, inappropriate, but play. She is probably feeling much better and has all this pent up energy to get rid of. If she was cuddly initially, she will be again, but probably not until she is sleepy and worn out. Get some wand or laser toys and let her run off some energy. If she grabs your leg and bites, hiss, or tell her no in a stern voice. If you see her come towards you to grab your leg, stop do the no or hiss and if you have to, pick her up before she reaches you and hold her for a second. This is just a gentle mom way of letting her know you are the boss.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wouldn't pet her until she is feeling better. Cats have certain ways of trying to communicate their wants or needs, and often these wants or needs are transitory. You don't have to think black & white and worry that she will always be this way. She could just be feeling out of sorts. Is she still on the course of antibiotics? A lot of times, when a cat is several days in on a 10-day course of antibiotics (as an example), it can really start wreaking havoc on the cat's tummy and nausea can result. If it's a broad spectrum antibiotic, it will kill a lot of good bacteria along with the bad and by the time you reach 7-10 days of being on it, your tummy might complain a bit. I think it's a good idea to always give oral antibiotics alongside food. It helps a bit with any potential nausea or weird feelings. Plus, did all of the entire mouse toy come out of her? Maybe she has some bits and parts of the toy inside?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The bite with leg kicking is play, inappropriate, but play. She is probably feeling much better and has all this pent up energy to get rid of. If she was cuddly initially, she will be again, but probably not until she is sleepy and worn out. Get some wand or laser toys and let her run off some energy. If she grabs your leg and bites, hiss, or tell her no in a stern voice. If you see her come towards you to grab your leg, stop do the no or hiss and if you have to, pick her up before she reaches you and hold her for a second. This is just a gentle mom way of letting her know you are the boss.
She definitely has some pent up energy to get rid of. I played with her with wand toys and laser this morning, but her scar is not totally healed yet so she’s technically still on limited activity. She’s jumping everywhere and checking every ounce of the place. She’s currently lying on me. She’s tired out. I guess I’ll just have to get used to the real her and accept that it has to be on her terms.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just wouldn't pet her until she is feeling better. Cats have certain ways of trying to communicate their wants or needs, and often these wants are needs are transitory. You don't have to think black & white and worry that she will always be this way. She could just be feeling out of sorts. Is she still on the course of antibiotics? A lot of times, when a cat is several days in on a 10-day course of antibiotics (as an example), it can really start wreaking havic on the cat's tummy and nausea can result. If it's a broad spectrum antibiotic, it will kill a lot of good bacteria along with the bad and by the time you reach 7-10 days of being on it, your tummy might complain a bit. I think it's a good idea to always give oral antibiotics alongside food. It helps a bit with any potential nausea or weird feelings. Plus, did all of the entire mouse toy come out of her? Maybe she has some bits and parts of the toy inside?
She had an antibiotic shot. I think it’s a 14 days course. Should I give her probiotics to help?
I have no idea if the whole mouse came out. The leathery tail came out for sure, and it looks like most of the mouse rough hair. I did not see the little plastic tube that held it all together, but the vet said there is a chance she chewed it up.

Last edited:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some "less populated", weaker probiotics probably don't help if the cat is still going through the effects of full-on antibiotics. But I'd definitely find a probiotic (if it were me), as it wouldn't hurt to get her started on that soon. There are other members' threads at TCS, I think, where experience with various probiotics is discussed.

Even if she is more fiesty because she is feeling better, and acting out or playing more intensely because of that (I just read your prior post to the other member) -- it just could be she is going through a temporary phase of "I don't want to be petted".

We all have ebbs and flows of wanting to be touched or approached, or not. No one person or one cat is always 100% the same 24/7. Just hang in there and realize too that you both are "new to each other" and still getting used to the daily patterns and expectations!
:hugs:

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some "less populated", weaker probiotics probably don't help if the cat is still going through the effects of full-on antibiotics. But I'd definitely find a probiotic (if it were me), as it wouldn't hurt to get her started on that soon. There are other members' threads at TCS, I think, where experience with various probiotics is discussed.

Even if she is more fiesty because she is feeling better, and acting out or playing more intensely because of that (I just read your prior post to the other member) -- it just could be she is going through a temporary phase of "I don't want to be petted".

We all have ebbs and flows of wanting to be touched or approached, or not. No one person or one cat is always 100% the same 24/7. Just hang in there and realize too that you both are "new to each other" and still getting used to the daily patterns and expectations!
:hugs:
Thanks for taking the time to answer and help me deal with my crazy thoughts! Lol
It was just a shock to wake up to such a different cat. It was like she was replaced overnight! I will just have to adapt to her and respect her “no petting now thank you very much”. She’s asleep on me now, so I am reassured that she’s at least still affectionate. Maybe more on her terms now, but I can get used to it.
She is definitely nauseous, especially right after eating, she has some serious reflux going on. I’ve been giving her Fortiflora (as an appetite stimulant when she wouldn’t eat at first), but I don’t like the ingredients in it, so I’ll try to find something else to give her instead.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea if the whole mouse came out. The leathery tail came out for sure, and it looks like most of the mouse rough hair. I did not see the little plastic tube that held it all together, but the vet said there is a chance she chewed it up.
mysmiley-ruh-roh.gif

Is it one of those GoCat brand of DaRat or DaMouse toys??

Those are one of my cat's top fave toys but are not made very well and pretty much disintegrate with a fiesty cat gnawing on them. I know the interior of them has a little plastic tube in it.
:(
101 Things That Can Harm Your Cat
Festival of TOYS!! Post a photo of your kitten or cat with their latest or greatest favorite TOY!

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
View attachment 249984

Is it one of those GoCat brand of DaRat or DaMouse toys??

Those are one of my cat's top fave toys but are not made very well and pretty much disintegrate with a fiesty cat gnawing on them.
:(
101 Things That Can Harm Your Cat
Festival of TOYS!! Post a photo of your kitten or cat with their latest or greatest favorite TOY!
Yep. That would be the one! Sophie seems to be a chewer when she plays, she grabs the toy and the goes to town trying to eat them. She also seems to love chewing on cardboards so I had to remove the cardboard scratching pads. She didn’t seem to understand they were there to scratch on and not to snack on!

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess I’ll just have to get used to the real her and accept that it has to be on her terms.
Exactly! That is the perfect attitude.

My kitten, Angus (see my profile pic), is affectionate on his terms. When he first came home with me and whenever he doesn't feel good, he cuddles up beside me where he's touching me but not on my lap. As he settled in, he stopped doing that during the day. He doesn't like being held/picked up but he does follow me around from room to room wanting to be in whatever room I'm in. He likes being around me, rubs against me, he likes to play and be petted and groomed (not the claw trimming so much as the brushing part). We even have a bedtime ritual that includes brushing his teeth which he expects (he had mild gingivitis when I got him at less than six months of age so I'm trying to prevent serious dental issues). He just can't tolerate feeling trapped by hands, arms, etc. He even sleeps on my bed with his body in contact with mine. Every cat is different and where my niece's cat, Riddle, is extremely affectionate and cuddly, Angus isn't.

Just as your kitten is getting to know his new world, you're getting to know your kitten's preferences and personality. He may become more cuddly with time, but the affection needs to be mutually agreeable.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Exactly! That is the perfect attitude.

My kitten, Angus (see my profile pic), is affectionate on his terms. When he first came home with me and whenever he doesn't feel good, he cuddles up beside me where he's touching me but not on my lap. As he settled in, he stopped doing that during the day. He doesn't like being held/picked up but he does follow me around from room to room wanting to be in whatever room I'm in. He likes being around me, rubs against me, he likes to play and be petted and groomed (not the claw trimming so much as the brushing part). We even have a bedtime ritual that includes brushing his teeth which he expects (he had mild gingivitis when I got him at less than six months of age so I'm trying to prevent serious dental issues). He just can't tolerate feeling trapped by hands, arms, etc. He even sleeps on my bed with his body in contact with mine. Every cat is different and where my niece's cat, Riddle, is extremely affectionate and cuddly, Angus isn't.

Just as your kitten is getting to know his new world, you're getting to know your kitten's preferences and personality. He may become more cuddly with time, but the affection needs to be mutually agreeable.
Rationally I know all of that. But I was told I was adopting a very affectionate cat, she was that’s for over a week and now is turning out to not be one. It’s just disappointing to find out she’s not who I thought she was but she’s mine and as long as we can eliminate the biting, we’ll be good together.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The biting thing is justa play thing like others said, as long as you discourage her and don't play with her with your hands or toys that are too close to your hands that will go away :) Its hard if someone in your family is reinforcing that behavior without realizing it but it everyone's on the same page the message should get across.

I think she just needs to get her pent up energy out. After she's played with and then after some time and she gets older and more mellow I would expect to see the cuddliness re-emerge more.

Although it sounds like she still isn't completely un cuddly, since she came and laid on you. Maybe the vet thing really freaked her out, who knows.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
If you said how old she is I apologize that I missed it. If she’s an adult, it may take some time for her to understand that she’s found a home and to feel comfortable with a new routine. Ten days is a short period of time and what with coming to a new place, feeling kind of crummy and trips to the vet, she probably hasn’t yet settled in. Does she like to be brushed or combed? The three-year-old semi-feral I adopted in the fall finally started to come around when she discovered the pleasures of being brushed, particularly on top of her head and the sides of her face. I go very lightly and slowly, and she just melts and starts to drool. :) It took more than six months before she’d get in my lap. I talk to Mocha a lot and whenever I pass by her, I give her a short gentle stroke and then go on my way. She seems to expect it now. Sophie may just need some time.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is one year old, at least that’s what they estimate. She’s been weird today, sometimes acts all cuddly, and then sometimes acts scared and runs away. It’s just such a contrast to how she was the first few days. It’s like she was in such a pain or so out of it from the meds, that she’s forgotten/ is still not sure if she likes me or something. I guess I’ll just have to be patient and allow me to get to know me all over again. I’ve been playing with her and wand toys today, just not too much because of the healing scar. She also loves chasing a crinkly little ball around the apartment. I’ll give her the time she needs. It just took me by surprise this morning.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
She is one year old, at least that’s what they estimate. She’s been weird today, sometimes acts all cuddly, and then sometimes acts scared and runs away. It’s just such a contrast to how she was the first few days. It’s like she was in such a pain or so out of it from the meds, that she’s forgotten/ is still not sure if she likes me or something. I guess I’ll just have to be patient and allow me to get to know me all over again. I’ve been playing with her and wand toys today, just not too much because of the healing scar. She also loves chasing a crinkly little ball around the apartment. I’ll give her the time she needs. It just took me by surprise this morning.
Yeah, it’s kind of upsetting, isn’t it. You just want to say, “Talk to me! Is it me? Tell me what’s wrong and I’ll fix it, sweetie.” I’m frustrated that after almost 11 months, Mocha is still so skittish. And it makes me feel bad. But like you, I accept what she will and won’t do and will continue be patient and love her. :petcat: