Vegetarian & Vegan Food and Lifestyle

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has anyone else experienced hair loss when going vegetarian? :(
It will kill me to have to eat meat again, but I'm pretty vain and I need my hair. :sigh:
No. Not when I became vegetarian.

However, I did notice hair loss once when I was under a lot of stress and not eating well, (before I became vegetarian) and unintentionally lost a fair amount of weight.

So your hair loss could be related to the weight you've lost, which ironically has happened since you started eating more regularly. :dunno:

I'm 44. My hair only started falling out when I went vegetarian a month ago. I don't eat any soy though. I could try getting some tofu and see if that helps. I take a multivitamin along with calcium/magnesium.
I don't think your hair would be affected that quickly from only going vegetarian a month ago. Might be, as I already posted, connected to your weight loss.

But more likely related to all the stress you dealt with last fall with your health issues. Hair generally takes longer than a month to show affects of stress, nutrition issues, etc.

Here's an excerpt from Can stress cause hair loss? - Grow Gorgeous

How long does it take for hair to grow back after stress?
The total hair loss and re-growth cycle often lasts around 6 months. 3 months for the signs of thinning due to stress to show and then 3 months for the hair to start growing back and returning to it’s normal thickness.​

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could go back to being a vegetarian but I feel guilty about the financial burden I'd put on my parents by doing so.

I was previously vegetarian for 2 years and during that time, we spent more money on groceries than we did any other time in our lives.
Generally speaking, meat is the most expensive. What were you buying that cost so much?

When my brother was little (he's vegetarian now; when he was little there were very few meat products he'd eat), my mom would make the usual stuff (spaghetti, chili, goulash, etc.) with the meat on the side and the people who liked meat could add their own, lol. So feeding him shouldn't have cost any more, less really.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Generally speaking, meat is the most expensive. What were you buying that cost so much?
I agree that meat is more expensive than staple vegetarian meals, like beans and rice. However, most of the faux-meats available in the stores these days are not cheap, so if someone just eats meat substitutes / vegetarian convenience food, I could see it being expensive. Also, fresh produce is generally pricey. :sigh:

That said, there are ways to eat inexpensively as a vegetarian, so let us know Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily if you need tips / suggestions. :)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that meat is more expensive than staple vegetarian meals, like beans and rice. However, most of the faux-meats available in the stores these days are not cheap, so if someone just eats meat substitutes / vegetarian convenience food, I could see it being expensive. Also, fresh produce is generally pricey. :sigh:

That said, there are ways to eat inexpensively as a vegetarian, so let us know Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily if you need tips / suggestions. :)
I was going to say the same. I think most vegetarians avoid all the meat substitute stuff not only because they are expensive but they are loaded with stuff they don't want. It's mostly junk food that just doesn't have meat in it. Vegetarian diets aren't as restrictive as vegan diets so you still get your dairy and eggs (if you choose). There are a lot of great recipes that can be made in a crock pot or Instant Pot (whatever brand of electric pressure cooker you prefer) that can be made in advance, portioned out and frozen. Homemade black bean burgers are economical and much better for you than the premade ones and you season them to your liking. These can also be made easily and frozen for future meals.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like the smell of cooking meat, so often I'll make something from a recipe and just. . .not put meat in it.

But yeah. Vegetarian frozen meals are really expensive and so are most of the fake meat products. So that makes sense. And fresh produce is pricey. But everybody, even meat eaters, is supposed to eat fresh produce ;).

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Homemade black bean burgers are economical and much better for you than the premade ones and you season them to your liking.
For example this one: Easy Black Bean Burgers

I can usually buy the can of black beans for 99 cents. Onions are usually pretty cheap, especially if you watch the grocery ads for a sale. Garlic might be a bit more expensive, but you could probably substitute powder. Ketchup and mustard aren't too expensive, and usually something people have on hand. The only maybe pricey item is the rolled oats, and again, watch for sales, or just buy the amount needed at a bulk foods store. So almost for sure cheaper than buying frozen premade black bean burgers at the grocery store.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny thing is, I actually hate the smell and texture of meat as well. Really the only reason I eat it now is for survival. I hate it otherwise and if I had the means to purchase other food, I'd probably never eat meat again.

When my brother was little (he's vegetarian now; when he was little there were very few meat products he'd eat), my mom would make the usual stuff (spaghetti, chili, goulash, etc.) with the meat on the side and the people who liked meat could add their own, lol. So feeding him shouldn't have cost any more, less really.
I was buying a lot of meat substitutes for school which is why it added up to so much (I didn't have time to cook with my busy schedule so the boxed vegetarian food was easier). Like those stimulated chicken patties and breakfast meats like baloney. Also, soy chicken nuggets and stuff like that. That and the fact that food in general is expensive where I live, it was hard on my family which is where the guilt started.

Because of that, I started eating less and I felt like I was on the brink of developing an eating disorder because I started hating food in general and eating. I was starving myself.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
Yea, I get the guilt. I've kind of gone "stealth mode" since my finances have taken a downturn. When people give me meat and start asking me if I've ever heard of Weston A Price, I just thank them and take it home so I can sprinkle EZcomplete on it.

I'm sick of being told that beggers can't be choosers. One of my worst nightmares is being locked up in a nursing home and having a chirpy perky little millenial ask me if I want meatloaf or salsbury steak on their tray.

I've been vegetarian for 47 years and vegan for 31. Of course that isn't entirely true because I have carnivorous pets, but I don't know the right term for someone who eats vegan food but doesn't live a full vegan lifestyle.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People
Yea, I get the guilt. I've kind of gone "stealth mode" since my finances have taken a downturn. When people give me meat and start asking me if I've ever heard of Weston A Price, I just thank them and take it home so I can sprinkle EZcomplete on it.

I'm sick of being told that beggers can't be choosers. One of my worst nightmares is being locked up in a nursing home and having a chirpy perky little millenial ask me if I want meatloaf or salsbury steak on their tray
I have been vegetarian for 50 years and I also worry about being fed meat if I ever get locked up in a nursing home. LOL

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm 44. My hair only started falling out when I went vegetarian a month ago. I don't eat any soy though. I could try getting some tofu and see if that helps. I take a multivitamin along with calcium/magnesium.
I have been a vegetarian for 50 years and I never lost any hair until I turn 55 and I got thyroid disease. After that was cleared up my hair started growing back. Have you eve had your thyroid tested?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Has anyone else experienced hair loss when going vegetarian? :(
It will kill me to have to eat meat again, but I'm pretty vain and I need my hair. :sigh:
No. I've been a vegetarian all my life, my mum was vegetarian all through her pregnancies and none of us have ever had any trouble with our hair.

I think hair loss is sometimes caused by anorexia though. Maybe you're losing your hair because you weren't getting enough protein when you were sick a while back?

Tofu is high in protein, as is soy milk, nuts, beans and pulses.

15 best plant-based protein foods

Having a diet that is high in protein also helps you maintain a healthy weight, as you feel full and don't get so many cravings for sweet things. Try replacing some of the carbs in your diet with high protein foods and see if that helps.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've only been vegetarian 11 years, but have no desire to ever eat meat again, so have also wondered about what I'd be fed if I end up in a nursing home. :sigh:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm sick of being told that beggers can't be choosers. One of my worst nightmares is being locked up in a nursing home and having a chirpy perky little millenial ask me if I want meatloaf or salsbury steak on their tray.

I've been vegetarian for 47 years and vegan for 31. Of course that isn't entirely true because I have carnivorous pets, but I don't know the right term for someone who eats vegan food but doesn't live a full vegan lifestyle.
Having a pet that eats meat doesn't make you any less of a vegan. It makes you a vegan who is a responsible pet owner.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've only been vegetarian 11 years, but have no desire to ever eat meat again, so have also wondered about what I'd be fed if I end up in a nursing home. :sigh:
I would think that it shouldn't be an issue. If I were in a position where I was helping someone find a home and they were vegan/vegetarian, that would be a question I would ask them. If they said that they would (or could) not provide a diet that the person can eat, I'd move on to the next one. I'd also think that this likely wouldn't be the case because a lot of people do not or cannot eat animal products for various reasons so this shouldn't be something they have never seen before.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Back when my parents were in a nursing home, I think I would have been trying to survive on grilled cheese sandwiches, scrambled eggs and maybe mac and cheese. Oh, and salad, of course. That was over 5 years ago, though, so maybe things have improved. Hopefully it won't ever be a concern for me, or at least not for a long time yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
If you'd been in a nursing home 20 or even 10 years ago it might have been tougher, but I'll bet there are plenty of options these days.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you eve had your thyroid tested?
Yes, I got everything tested in November and my doctor said everything was perfect, including thyroid.

I think hair loss is sometimes caused by anorexia though. Maybe you're losing your hair because you weren't getting enough protein when you were sick a while back?
Tofu is high in protein, as is soy milk, nuts, beans and pulses.
I was deathly low in protein, iron, and potassium when I was in the hospital. But my doctor said that I brought all my levels up to perfect in November. I have to get another blood test on March 17. I will try the tofu. I just need tips on how to cook and store it. Can I freeze it?

Thanks. My multivitamin has 100% of most vitamins. Biotin is 50%. I don't take L-Lysine, but I do have some powder for the cats, so I could try it. My lunch had 20 grams of protein-- 6 grams in the toast, 4 grams in the cashew butter, 10 grams in my cappuccino with milk.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was deathly low in protein, iron, and potassium when I was in the hospital.
This is probably what's causing the hair loss. It takes hair a few months to catch up because it grows so slowly.

If all your levels are good now, it should start improving, although it could take a while depending on how long you were that low in nutrients.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
Having a pet that eats meat doesn't make you any less of a vegan. It makes you a vegan who is a responsible pet owner.
It kind of snowballed out of control. I got a dog because I thought that I wouldn't have to feed her meat. I saw the bags of vegetarian dog food at the grocery store, and believe me, I have tried EVERYTHING with cats, I bought the Vegecat powder and cookbook for Wallaby from the back of a magazine and some Wysong kibble and I don't remember what else.

I also didn't think I could provide a good home for a cat because I am housing insecure and because of the political and economic direction my country is going.

I'm not a dog person. I bought a dog because I didn't want to die and because I didn't think i could trake care of a cat. I never expected to LOVE her this much! By the time I had learned how to feed her, I was stomping around disgustedly thinking, "I might as well have gotten a cat!"

A week or so into Willow, I was stomping around saying, "I might as well have gotten a reptile!"

They're my kids. I don't know if it's some sort of a weird way of magical thinking that if I take care of these children that are in my care, some higher power or something will take care of the child I gave birth to who I can no longer protect. It's been very healing to me to work past the squeamishness and my own disgust at my own pace until I eventually find it a comforting and routine thing to break off a frozen feeder mouse or rat from the package, notice his cute little whiskers or her beautiful coloration, thank him or her for his life, and put him in a Mason Jar or sealed ziplock to thaw for my child's next meal.

It's become so normal that now that she's moved up to large sized rats that last two meals, I remembered that my father used to say, "I don't give a rat's ass" about things I cared about, and I had a momentary laugh thinking about how he would have reacted if I had replied to him saying that in the middle of an argument with, "Well I DO!!!!!!!!" and a picture. I do give a rat's ass. I give a rat's ass to Willow for her next meal because she can't eat a whole rat. i give a rat's ass about Free Software and I give a rat's ass what happens to the homeschooling movement even if I AM a childless toothless homeless babbling nonsense that nobody pays much attention to.

I give a rat's ass about music, which is supposed to be something you do, not something you buy and sell, and I give a rat's ass about cats in general and cat people and the fatre of the internet and a whole lot of other things besides collecting money and trying to make myself feel better by hurting other people.

/tantrum over

Now I've got a question for you: do you think that it's immoral for me to accept meat from the food bank, take it home, and sprinkle EZ complete on it? This would be when I don't have the option of taking beans or something else that I'm actually going to eat. The food is a combination of donations from local businesses and USDA commodities. I don't qualify for food stamps because of toxic family sh*t that is similar but not identical to what M maggiedemi has shared that she has and is still struggling with. I do have credit cards that aren't maxed out and that is why I was able to buy the Stella & Chewy's.

If you are shocked that I would even consider doing this and tell me that I'm a bad person, then I might stop and just keep putting the Stella & Chewy's on my credit cards until I can't pay the minimum any more. I have some vague idea of where I'm going to go when I lose shelter, and I'll just rehome my pets right before I do and do the best I can until then.

Or else something will turn up, right? I'll get my certification from the Linux foundation, put out my shingle, make a million bucks, and buy a catio, right?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
do you think that it's immoral for me to accept meat from the food bank, take it home, and sprinkle EZ complete on it?
The way I see it, if your pets end up at a shelter they'll be more of a strain on the system than if you take some donated meat every now and then for them.

You could also look at the meat to see what's coming up on its best-by date, because they'd have to throw it away anyway so you might as well give it to pets.