Vegetarian & Vegan Food and Lifestyle

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In fact, I don't even know if they're flour or corn, though I suspect flour.
The flour ones are white and soft, like taco bell uses. These corn ones have a yellow tint and are really small and plastic-y feeling/tasting.

You may be a beginner cook, but I think you're a fast learner
Thanks. I get so nervous cooking, but having this success with the tortillas gave me a bit more confidence to keep trying.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The flour ones are white and soft, like taco bell uses. These corn ones have a yellow tint and are really small and plastic-y feeling/tasting.

Thanks. I get so nervous cooking, but having this success with the tortillas gave me a bit more confidence to keep trying.
TB uses the flour ones for soft tacos, burritos, etc and the corn ones for hard shell tacos, tostadas, etc so they would be crispy. You can fry them in a skillet in a shallow amount of oil if you like.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the pan-fried ones can be pretty good too.
3 minutes per side was too long. They were so crunchy I almost busted my teeth. :lol: I'm not sure if these are the same ones taco bell uses, they are gluten-free.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Corn tortillas are always gluten-free, because corn doesn't have gluten ;). Or not that kind of gluten anyway. But, yeah, deep-frying makes everything better, too bad it's such a hassle to do at home.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But, yeah, deep-frying makes everything better, too bad it's such a hassle to do at home.
I only used 1 Tablespoon of oil. I'll try 2 minutes per side next time. I have like a lifetime supply, so I'll keep practicing.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh good lord. I didn't get the chance to tell my brother that I didn't like the corn tortillas. He just sent me a care package of more of them! He didn't want me to run out during this corona virus thing. I'll be eating these things for a year. :bawling:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just turn the corn tortillas into chips and have them with salsa or guacamole or crushed up as a topping for soup or tacos :) You can either bake or fry them.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two things M maggiedemi When I'm warming tortillas, corn or flour, I use a cast iron frying pan, moderately high heat, and absolutely no fat or grease of any kind. Takes just a few seconds on each side, they'll get a couple of brown spots, flip over to the "top" side, it will puff up a bit and you're done. ready to serve.

The other thing - If you are talking about tortilla chips like the Tostitos kind - crush them up and use them for a coating, like bread crumbs. I use it as a coating for tillapia fish but you could come up with another use.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh good lord. I didn't get the chance to tell my brother that I didn't like the corn tortillas. He just sent me a care package of more of them! He didn't want me to run out during this corona virus thing. I'll be eating these things for a year. :bawling:
I'd make chips out of them or rip them into pieces and toss them into the yard for the squirrels and birds.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I'm warming tortillas, corn or flour, I use a cast iron frying pan, moderately high heat, and absolutely no fat or grease of any kind. Takes just a few seconds on each side, they'll get a couple of brown spots,
Thank you! I guess I was warming them too long. I'll try this.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama -- Is there a coffee/tea thread on here? Would anybody be interested in having one? I need more drink ideas besides cappuccino.
There's this one that AbbysMom AbbysMom started 2 years ago Coffee Talk

It's a good one but start another one if you want. I'm always down to talk about coffee and what kinds are the best or not worth buying.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
There's this one that AbbysMom AbbysMom started 2 years ago Coffee Talk It's a good one but start another one if you want. I'm always down to talk about coffee and what kinds are the best or not worth buying.
Thanks for doing a search. :thumbsup:

Is there a coffee/tea thread on here? Would anybody be interested in having one?
I just requested if the Coffee Talk thread Kat0121 Kat0121 found could be moved to Foodie's Corner - we shall see what happens. After all, nothing goes better with food than a warm cup of brew. ☕

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I made enchiladas with those corn tortillas tonight. I didn't look at a recipe, I just winged it. I cooked it uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Is that correct or should I have covered it with foil? They still tasted plasticky!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama and everybody else:

Here's an interesting question. Would you date/marry a guy who wasn't vegetarian? I've been thinking about this more and more as I get more deeply into this vegetarian lifestyle. When I get my own place, I would really like to keep it meat free. I don't know any men around here that are vegetarians though! Might have to find a veggie dating site.