Utterly Heartbroken

LoriaBelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've always been a cat person, but I've never formed a connection with one quite as much as I did with my fiances cat, Callum. He warned me upon first meeting him, that Callum was a bit of a grumpy sod, and might warm to me eventually, but I shouldn't take it personally if he ignored me, as was his way. 5 minutes after meeting me, he jumped up onto my lap, purred happily and fell asleep, my fiance was in total shock as this was very unlike him towards anyone else that wasn't him, in general he wasn't a very cuddly cat, but for some reason became quite attached to me, and would ignore everyone else in the room to come and sit on my lap, and used to get quite annoyed with my fiance if he ever tried to hug me, Callum would glare at him or try and get in the way.

I moved in with my fiance in June, and me and Callum would "talk" to each other every day, he was never too far away from me and just seemed to get me, in a way I didn't know animals could.

Last night as I was trying to sleep, I heard a light thudding on the bedroom door, I assumed it was one of our Kittens (we also have two 5 month old kittens and another adult girl cat), I popped out to the bathroom and Callum was sitting right by the door in a really strange way, he wouldn't move and was making some horrible sounds. He tried to stand up and his back legs weren't working. My fiance got straight on to the out of hours vet and we dashed him straight there, he was getting so distressed. The vet told us (after what seemed like an age of waiting) that he had Aortic Thromboembolism, by this point all of the veins in his legs had gone blue and he was breathing really shallow. We had to make the decision to either put him to sleep, or spend nearly £1000 on surgery that only had a 30% change of giving him the use of his legs back, and he'd have to be on medication for the rest of his life (he was 16 anyway, he had a good run!)

I guess I'm posting here just to offload my emotions really, I've been a wreck all day, a combination of almost no sleep, and keeping remembering little things about him has made for a really tough day, I feel sick and emotionally drained. He was truely one in a million was my boy, I'm going to be so lost without him </3

Going to miss you so very much Buddy.

Attachments

aquisces

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you had a really special bond with Callum, and I know that he felt love from you and your fiancé until the very end. It sounds like you made the kindest choice for him as well. I know it is hard though. I just lost my Hanzee last night. Sending you love and light. <3

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful little kitty he was. That decision is never easy to make. I think you did the most kind thing for him. I know how overwhelming the grief is. You will find support and compassion here.:alright:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry that you lost that little cutie pie, your buddy, but he was hurting, you did the right thing albeit the most hard choice to make, but he is fine now, no more pain, in the next life and just fine and waiting to sit on your lap again someday down the line. It will not be easy to get over this, it will drain you for some time, but with time and love and patience your heart will slowly heal, but will carry a scar for him, he took a piece of your heart when he left but it will be put back when you see him again.

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, I am sorry for your loss, Lord Bless you.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Callum, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

What a lovey boy Callum was, and still is. I know the emptiness where once a sweet, furry weight once was, and the screaming silence that used to be filled with purrs. But I also know that love does not die. It changes form and lives on, no matter how we might miss the physical form, the love abides. He is with you still.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such a sad and horrible experience you had, I'm so sorry you had to say good-bye to your beautiful Callum in an unexpected and sudden way.
But he loved you beyond imagination and you were with him at the very moment he asked for help.
I know you are feeling broken now, but Callum is still with you, watching over you.
RIP Callum :(

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry on your loss of sweet Callum. Cats do have a way of pulling at your heartstrings , and forming a special bond to those they love. Yes , it is so hard on our hearts when they must leave us , but the joy they bring to our lives while they are here just can not be measured. They just love us so unconditionally and all they ask in return is to be loved back. That is all any kitty really wants. Callum was so very loved and treasured , which is all he ever wanted. He had a happy life , all thanks to you and your fiance. I hope that one day you both can remember your sweet boy with more smiles than tears. My heart and thoughts are with you.
RIP Sweet Callum !
May your light shine down on those who are mourning your loss and miss you so very much!
Please watch over them always!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have honored that little boy with your beautiful tribute. 16 years of companionship shows what wonderful care and what a loving home he had. The sad thing is, we always want the end to be a peaceful one, that they go to sleep and slip away, at home, surrounded by the ones they love. The truth is, this seldom happens. And when we witness this end, it distresses our very soul, to see our loved ones go through what they did. You could not let that sweet boy suffer, at his age there is no guarantee of a normal life. That he would ever be free of pain and suffering. Somehow you found the strength to give him this last act of love and compassion, and he thanks you for it.The bond you developed will always be with you, it will tie your souls together for eternity, because love is spiritual and will never die.
Of course you feel empty and sad, he was your buddy, he was special to you and you loved each other. The heart knows no difference between cat and human, it just knows love. It does help to talk to others who understand, I hope you feel the support and the empathy we send your way, my heart goes out to you and your fiancee, please accept my sincere condolences, I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers, take care...... RIP sweet Callum, you will always be remembered in this world and never forgotten. Your sweet presence will be forever missed, but your love will be held securely in loving hearts. Good night, sleep tight, sweet Prince!