UTI?

Kittenmom57

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I posted last week that our four month old kitten, Annie, is having eye issues. I took her to the vet Friday and he prescribed tobramyacin drops, which we’ve been doing.
last night we noticed her acting a bit strangely. There was a towel draped over the side of the tub, and she got in the tub (nothing unusual there), but then looked like she was peeing on the towel! I picked her up right away and sure enough there was a little spot of pee. We didn’t think much of it.
then this morning we noticed a wet spot on one of the cat toys—one with the corrugated cardboard scratcher in the center. Then we found a small puddle in the “hammock” of the cat tree. By this time we’re concerned. She has been perfect in the litter box since we brought her home; so either she is ticked that we’ve been putting drops in her eye…or there’s something else wrong. we have had a cat with bladder stones, and one with a blockage, and my first thought was she’s got a UTI or something. She’s also been doing a lot of licking in the girly parts.
Of course being Sunday the vet is closed. Found an evet and we’re taking her in later.
In the meantime we’ve isolated her to two rooms in the basement, with no carpet. Of course Toby had to go in with her because he couldn’t stand her being on the other side of the door (they are best buddies). I just visited them and in the 10 minutes I was there she used the box at least twice—and for as long as she sat there the pee ball was very small. She sat long enough to make a BIG ball.
Is this unusual for such a young kitten to get this problem? I just hope it’s a treatable infection and not a blockage or something….
Any thoughts?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
We are not vets, and you are doing the right thing to get her in to see someone. Having said that, it sounds as if it could be a UTI from what you describe. I have a 14 month old male, neutered, who just went through a huge episode with a UTI, so age is not always a guarantee in these cases. They symptoms seem to point to something that you should have checked out.

I was told by a vet tech once that in her entire career of 30 years she had never seen a female blockage. While a female cat can develop crystals and stones, the urinary opening is usually large enough to prevent a blockage...but I am sure that there have been exceptions.

Fiona herself had repeated UTIs and bladder stones which were surgically removed when she was only about middle aged. Please let us know what happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittenmom57

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has a uti. They saw bacteria and blood in her urine. She’s now on clavamox for five days and a pain/anti-inflammatory (starts with O?) for three days. They said she should be feeling a lot better in 36-48 hours. She and Toby will be sequestered together where there isn’t any carpet, since they don’t like being apart for long.
I’m glad we took her!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good news! The pain/anti-inflammatory probably is Onsior.

Make sure you have a follow up urinalysis done after the antibiotics are completed - just check with the vet about the timing - to ensure it took care of the UTI. If it didn't, ask them to do a urine culture along with the urinalysis, as that will tell you what type of bacteria is involved and what the most effective antibiotics are for treating it. Not saying the clavamox won't do it - hope it does - but, just in case it doesn't, don't have them give another round of antibiotics without knowing which ones are the most appropriate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittenmom57

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes that’s what the medication is. Good idea about a follow up urinalysis. I will definitely talk to our vet about that.
The emergency vet said that what was seen was "mild cocci".

Last edited by a moderator: