Urinary SO CAT FOOD

goosegoose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone else here have a cat that has crystals, who's a stubborn eater and loves the Urinary SO food? My 12 year old cat TK loves SO cat food and refuses to eat any other brand. But this food is not very good for him. It does not make his coat as shiny as it used to be...and is very salty and grainy brand of cat food. Does anyone have any suggestions on other cat foods for cats with crystals? 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had two cats with struvite crystals who ate Purina kibble W/D for years.  They never had any nore problems.  Now my cat eats a combination of that and Purina UR from the vet's office.  Another thing I did that helped my cats is filtered water.  We put one of those attachments on the sink and they always had their water from that after they were diagnosed.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also have a pur water filter on my sink, & only give Angel water from that as well. Also, no more dry food for him. It's the only thing that I started doing different again, sense his first case of it in August. I had just started giving a little to him as a snack between meals (approx. 2 tbs/day) two weeks before it came back last weekend! (AND, he gained 2lbs in 2 months from it!)  The only other factor could be stress in his case.

He has been on raw for a few months now.

gussy14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have two cats, one had struvite crystals. We put him on Urinary SO for a month, which cleared everything up.

The biggest suggestion I got here was to eliminate the kibble - and we have. We do canned food only, and we do foods that are low in carbs. I'm not brave enough to do raw. Knock on wood, we haven't had any more problems. I'm going to take him back to the vet in a couple of months to get his urine tested just to be sure ... but so far, so good! The urine clumps in the litterbox are much larger than they were even when he was on the SO.

We don't always put the filtered water in, but we do have a fountain. They both seem to enjoy it. I hope this is helpful to you!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have two cats, one had struvite crystals. We put him on Urinary SO for a month, which cleared everything up.

The biggest suggestion I got here was to eliminate the kibble - and we have. We do canned food only, and we do foods that are low in carbs. I'm not brave enough to do raw. Knock on wood, we haven't had any more problems. I'm going to take him back to the vet in a couple of months to get his urine tested just to be sure ... but so far, so good! The urine clumps in the litterbox are much larger than they were even when he was on the SO.

We don't always put the filtered water in, but we do have a fountain. They both seem to enjoy it. I hope this is helpful to you!
I didn't feel comfortable making my own raw, figuring out supplements etc..  so I buy commercial raw patties. The Bravo Complete Balance is great!

The complete Balance means it already has all of what he needs in it. Not all commercial raw does, so if you do decide to try some, be aware of that.

jimmylegs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I admit, I sometimes use the Urinary SO kibble as a treat, all the cats love it so much! The food is great for dissolving crystals but I don't use it unless there is a flare up. For ongoing maintenance you want to feed a diet that will keep pH low. Usually this means an all-canned diet high in chicken (which naturally lowers pH). I have had success feeding grain-free Wellness Chicken, but I'm investigating new options as it's really high in fat.