Urinary / bladder issue...

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

...Cats do not manufacture their own taurine and must get enough, somehow, daily, in their diet. Commercially prepared foods add it, homemade diets must add supplements, or a certain amount of organ meats, daily.(sorry to go off topic)
Just a tiny little clarification: Taurine isn't present in organs, only in muscle meats.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Just a tiny little clarification: Taurine isn't present in organs, only in muscle meats.
Organ and muscle. Hearts, especially contain a good amount of taurine! We're on the same track, anyway.
I notice we posted basically the same info at the same time. GMTA.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Slight thread hijack

Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Please ACTUALLY make sure you are posting ACCURATE info ...... The ave person knows taurine is found in both organs and muscle meat s as it is taught in most elementary classes..

To saraanis
Please if you have not done so Discuss your diet with a VET or other animal nutrition PROFESSIONAL ( ie not just info online but someone with some real credentials that you can see a paper or other legit schooling item ) ..... Your diet looks to have some basic issues.. I say ask a legit professional for advise for a non commercial diet as you can cause MAJOR health issues that may show up yrs later and could cause premature death of your lovely kitty ... technically Most dry and canned diets meet a Basic criteria for nutrients and thus are labeled complete and balanced ... IMHO that statements = the US RDA , ie will sustain life some will thrive, others need extra .... Cats just like humans are individual

as NO ONE on here can give you any real answers , just experiences and semi educated ideas ( some more than others)

1. No online advice can replace direct veterinary intervention. If you suspect that your cat may be ill, please contact your vet immediately. You are welcome to look for advice in the health forum while waiting for that appointment, but never delay proper veterinary care waiting for Internet advice. Remember that cats, and especially kittens, are very adept in keeping pain to themselves and delaying treatment may cause irreversible damage.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Slight thread hijack
Please ACTUALLY make sure you are posting ACCURATE info ...... The ave person knows taurine is found in both organs and muscle meat s as it is taught in most elementary classes..

To saraanis
Please if you have not done so Discuss your diet with a VET or other animal nutrition PROFESSIONAL ( ie not just info online but someone with some real credentials that you can see a paper or other legit schooling item ) ..... Your diet looks to have some basic issues..

as NO ONE on here can give you any real answers , just experiences and semi educated ideas ( some more than others)

Saraanis: I commend you for taking the matters on your own hands and taking care of your kitty's diet... Probably the reason why she hasn't had UTIs to date is the added water intake she is getting, by eating home made food instead of dry...
Please note though, that commercial foods (that meet the AAFCO standards) are complete and balanced with the all nutrients a cat need for optimum health. It is perfectly ok to go on your own, but it is important to do it under vet's guidance, to ensure that your cat is getting all it needs.
You added more moisture to his diet, but the diet you are giving your cat is depleted of essential nutrients that can be harming his health in different and serious ways.
The AAFCO has a LONG list of nutrients that must be present in the food for your cats' health - a vet will be the most qualified person to help you in achieving that in a homemade diet...
Here is the standard:
http://www.peteducation.com/article....3+2244&aid=657

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
heart, liver, kidney, pancreas, gizzards, brain, and eyes are all sources of Taurine, and are all organs, Heart, eyes and brain are HIGH in Taurine.

saraanis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lol i think we have totally high hacked this thread ! SORRY !!! i dont know how to shift it to the other section but if any of u do .. please do it

as for my cats diet the minced chicken and rice combo was the vets suggestion.

i am giving them canned food as well as fresh cooked food which includes chicken ...all parts included !, minced beef and fish .

ill check out the other section for food recommendations as well but so many ppl have different ideas about it like i read in one book that said add garlic where as another said its dangerous to a cat so i just stick to what i think the cat would eat if it were outdoors ( hunting for itself )

as for raw food i have tried it but she vomited it all out so i dont think im going to try that again

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by saraanis

lol i think we have totally high hacked this thread ! SORRY !!! i dont know how to shift it to the other section but if any of u do .. please do it

as for my cats diet the minced chicken and rice combo was the vets suggestion.

i am giving them canned food as well as fresh cooked food which includes chicken ...all parts included !, minced beef and fish .

ill check out the other section for food recommendations as well but so many ppl have different ideas about it like i read in one book that said add garlic where as another said its dangerous to a cat so i just stick to what i think the cat would eat if it were outdoors ( hunting for itself )

as for raw food i have tried it but she vomited it all out so i dont think im going to try that again
I am glad you are working with your VET

You are very right that "facts" do differ to whose viewpoint it is and what sources they use.. many use both online and offline sources then go and discuss the issue with a vet ... that IS the Proper and Right thing for all to do ... .