Urinalysis Ph Now Too Low?

katieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted in December that my cat had a routine urinalysis and his PH was high at 7.5 and he had struvite crystals. This vet sent out the sample which I had read could cause a different PH and crystals to form (tested the next day).

I got him on a urinary prescription wet and dry food and i've been getting a lot more water into him by mixing purified water with his canned food morning and night.

We just retested at a different vet who tests in house. He had no crystals of any type but his PH was 5. The vet was not worried but that sounded really low to me. She said sometimes on the prescription diet it can go low and she wasn't concerned.

Has anyone experienced this?

I am planning to start weaning him off the prescription food - the dry first then the wet but I need to find the right high quality food for him, I will probably buy something this weekend.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
PH 5 is lower than ideal, but as far as I understand things the crystals caused by more acidic urine are less of an immediate concern. Also, when a cat has a good intake of water and the urine is dilute this reduces risks further. The readings can even vary depending on when your cat was last fed and the PH of the water they drink. If you continue to worry I suggest you call your vet and ask them to explain to you why they think your cat's test result was OK.