Urgent : Taking cat and kittens to the vet

StrayMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our mama cat is refusing to nurse and seems to be in pain when the kittens latch. So, we’re taking her to the vet in about an hour. The tech suggested bringing the 1.5 week old kittens so mama wouldn’t be worried. How do we safely do that? I have a cat carrier bottom lined with fleece blankets right now. What else should I do? I’m terrified that I’m endangering them by transporting them this early.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would put the kittens in the carrier with Mom. Mom's been sleeping with the kittens in the birthing box all along. Just be sure to brace the carrier on the back seat or floor so it won't tip over. Maybe put the seat belt through the handle.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put as much padding as you can in the carrier before putting them in, load it with blankets and towels, and yes, put the seatbelt through the handle so it can't shift too much if you have to stop suddenly.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah: Most vets recommend bringing along the kittens. So, unless the carrier is abnormally small, they should all be OK. If you have someone to go with you, I would do that, just so they can keep an eye on things since the mama is having nursing issues. And, maybe an extra carrier, just in case. If the kittens have to be removed, mama could still see them in the separate carrier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

StrayMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took my husband and a milk crate with a fleece blanket as backup. Mama has an infection of some sort with a fever. So, the vet prescribed amoxicillin. She nursed the kittens well when we got home. Thanks for the responses!! They helped a lot!