Urgent: Take Her To The Vet Or Wait

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hariette was treated twice with Advantage II. The entire house has been professionally exterminated and they are supposed to be coming back in about two weeks for the second and final round.

After the Capstar last night, Charlie is doing beautifully. The homemade flea trap that I have is also showing that no fleas were active during the night. That is a huge difference.

No phone calls overnight from the vet, which makes me feel good. I just have to wait and see if they call me first this morning or if I'll break down and call them.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds good (the flea treatment). Sounds like the cycle is being broken. That's the way to do it!

Hoping to hear good news from your vet. :vibes:

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am trying so hard not to be a pest to them. That is really, really hard. The only time I called yesterday was after they had already contacted me or when the vet had asked that I call. I'm hoping that there has been some food eaten and maybe some litter box action.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just called the vet and someone ate ALL of her food last night. No idea if she's pooped yet but I'm picking her up in a few hours.

Her kidney test also came back beautiful, so no kidney disease. I hope she keeps eating once she's home!!

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just picked her up!!! She is perky and alert. No special diet just keep her eating. I might pick up some Nutrical just to keep the calories coming.

She has a laundry list of pills for right now. Cerenia for nausea, Baytril for her mom specified infection, an appetite stimulant if needed, and a nutrient paste that is meant to help with her anemia. I've never seen the paste before. We did straight B12 injections in the past, but we will keep on this regiment and see what happens.

I promised her lots of snuggles this afternoon and I intend to do it!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm getting here very late today, and am thrilled that your girl is home and feeling much better! Keep on letting us know how she's doing if you will. We're invested in both of you now!

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please read all the warnings for the use of Baytril or enrofloxacin in cats.
It looks like she'll be on this medication for 7 days. I assume that it is the correct dosage for her as the vet has taken caution with her case.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, random questions.

Hariette's mouth is unusually moist. Not drooling, but just really wet. Is this normal after an episode of not eating?

She keeps upset grumbling at me. I think it's because I smell like kitten and the fact that there is a thunderstorm passing throught, but she switches between loving on me and growling at me. Any tips on how to make her understand that she's safe?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Don't know about the mouth thing. Someone will.

As for the grumbling...just be quiet and calm and patient. She'll get there. It would be so wonderful if we could only explain it all to them!

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like she'll be on this medication for 7 days. I assume that it is the correct dosage for her as the vet has taken caution with her case.
Everyone has their opinion . My pets have it in their records they are not allowed to be given any drug in this class without signed consent. The upper dose is 5mg/Kg./per day. While we lost Kitten to a massive overdose from a negligent veterinarian and the antibiotic itself is highly effective I would never again use it unless it was last resort. Caution is to be used in any cat with decreased kidney function or dehydration.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, random questions.

Hariette's mouth is unusually moist. Not drooling, but just really wet. Is this normal after an episode of not eating?

She keeps upset grumbling at me. I think it's because I smell like kitten and the fact that there is a thunderstorm passing throught, but she switches between loving on me and growling at me. Any tips on how to make her understand that she's safe?
I would guess that the "wet" mouth and grumbling are just side effects from the recent changes and perhaps the meds. The main thing is she has her appetite. As long as that keeps up, it seems she is quickly on the mend.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Everyone has their opinion . My pets have it in their records they are not allowed to be given any drug in this class without signed consent. The upper dose is 5mg/Kg./per day. While we lost Kitten to a massive overdose from a negligent veterinarian and the antibiotic itself is highly effective I would never again use it unless it was last resort. Caution is to be used in any cat with decreased kidney function or dehydration.
It looks like she is prescribed one tablet per day for 14 days. One tablet is gone, so I know she has had one today. Her organ function was checked heavily and everything was fine. There is also no dehydration that I know of. I'll watch her closely and make sure that she doesn't sustain damage!

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like she is prescribed one tablet per day for 14 days. One tablet is gone, so I know she has had one today. Her organ function was checked heavily and everything was fine. There is also no dehydration that I know of. I'll watch her closely and make sure that she doesn't sustain damage!
For every vet that discusses side effects/adverse events it seems there are 10 that just a hand the bottle to the client. Many veterinarians choose not to use this drug because of the low tolerance for higher doses in cats. The human versions of these drugs are all black box warnings and there are class action lawsuits for the damage the cause. I would never want any cat to suffer the way Kitten did. It's just a thing with me.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hariette has responded beautifully today. She ate nearly 1/4 cup of kibble. I'm sure she'll eat more before the evening is done. She just had her liquid vitamin and she didn't really like it, but we got it down.

Still no pooping but fingers crossed that happens soon. She'll be in her own most of the day tomorrow, so I hope she enjoys her privacy!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's been eating better, so poop comes next. :blush: Happy to hear that she's eating her food!

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She ate almost 1/2 cup of kibble since returning home last night! She also drank her water in the middle of the night and had a wee in the litter box again. I am trying to give her medicines this morning and she is hiding under the bed.

All in all, I'm very pleased she is doing better. I'm crossing my fingers to see some poops today and that we don't need our appetite stimulant tomorrow.