Urgent :: Pet Food Recall... Urgent!!! - TOXIN FOUND

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I don't know if this has been posted. But I emailed Wellness the other day and told them I would not use their products because of rumurs I heard that they use Menu foods. This is the resonse I got back today:

Menu does make some of our canned cat and canned dog foods. Keep in
mind that they only supply certain areas of the country. They make OUR
recipes according to OUR quality standards.

We have procedures in place to clean between each run of food that is
produced. We also inspect the plant regularly to audit their
procedures. Since we take our quality very seriously we go above and beyond what
is expected in the industry. We are happy to tell you that we require
our facilities to pass an audit by Cook & Thurber, a HUMAN FOOD auditing
firm. They have a great website that explains what they do and their
strict requirements. They can be found at www.cookandthurber.com

I understand your concern and am disappointed that you feel that way
about our product. If you have any further questions or would like on of
our representatives to discuss co-packing, the Menu Foods recall or Old
Mother Hubarrd's QA policies and procedures with you live and in-person
you can contact us on our Consumer Affairs line at (800) 225-0904, we
will be manning the phones all weekend.

Jon Cox
Analyst
Product Development

melbo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kotic

If aminopterin is the toxin involved in the poisonings I expect that investigators will expand from a focus on renal failure to other diagnoses such as liver failure. Aminopterin is a highly toxic substance that can affect other organs besides the kidneys, and renal failure is likely not the only fatal reaction to aminopterin in pet food. The media has focused on renal failure, but until now apparently no one has been looking for deaths resulting from other organ failures. I hope that veterinarians are not be so focused on renal failure that they dismiss the deaths of other pets with different symptoms that could be the result of aminopterin poisoning. I lost a beloved pet this week to what I believe was a reaction to a toxic agent, and he was on a diet of recalled Nutro pet food with “Best by†dates that matched those listed by Nutro.
I am so sorry to hear about your lose. We also fed our cats the Nutro pet food back in late Feb and both our boys suffered from acute renal failure. I feel just terrible knowing I fed them both "rat poison". I dont trust menu foods recall list for the Nutro foil pouches. I am glad Nutro has recalled all of their products starting from the "best by" dates in Dec 03, 2008. Especially since our boys showed sysmptoms while eating foil pouches that our on Nutros recall list but NOT menu foods recall list. This whole mess is so scary and stressful!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by wmarcello

I found a pretty comprehensive list online detailing which foods are NOT affected by the recall according to the manufacturers. Hopefully this hasn't been posted before.

http://petsitusa.com/blog/?p=210
THat list actually has a few that when Phoned or emailed said they arent affected by the recall but MENU does produce there products ... JUST an FYI
Originally Posted by Panther pride

Who has been effected by the recall on here, or knows anyone who has been effected try going to www.Naturapet.com. The foods on here are all top notch.
SEE above as to why a number of us arent using Natura canned products right now ... plus four people got four different answers from them as to there relationship if any to Menu

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

THat list actually has a few that when Phoned or emailed said they arent affected by the recall but MENU does produce there products ... JUST an FYI
Yes, that is good to mention. It seems that those cases however are specifically noted beneath each food brand.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wellness is made at a MENU plant for anyone needing that info

mia mouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just got off the phone with my vets office. I use one of the cuts and gravy foods for my girls as a snack, not their main food and they share it. I have no idea over the past three months what the lot numbers were on what they ate. It has bother me so much that I called my vet to ask about how this chemical is metabolized and if lower doses cause damage. They could not give me an answer but said at any amount this stuff is nasty.
The Vets office told me they had a lady who used recalled food bring in her cats for a kidney blood panel...cats were NOT symptomatic.... and the Vet ended up keeping them for three days. I am taking one of my girls in tomorrow for a panel. If she shows any damage then I will take all my girls in.

It will cost me $45 for the visit and $30 for the kidney panel blood test.
I think anyone who has used any of these foods in the past few months needs to think about having this test....even with no symptoms

vanessab25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats Purina One Dry Food - thank goodness this is not on the list - so that's OK
But what about wet food such as Friskies and Whiskas Pouches???

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So far, only two types of Purina or Purina-made foods (which includes Friskies) have been included in the recall. They were both dog foods (Mighty Dog and Alpo). None of their cat foods have been recalled. None of the Whiskas products, or any products made by their parent company, have been recalled either.

bijou's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I noticed last night that Bijou's fancy feast has wheat gleuton. I called petco and they said I can bring them all back with out a receipt. I don't trust anything right now. Bijou is getting natures variety raw instinct kibble (grain free) and since fancy feast is the only canned that she likes, I guess I'll just have to bake chicken breasts for her and give her that in place of fancy feast.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all Fancy Feast has wheat gluten in it. If I remember correctly just a few do. Just check the labels before you buy.

bijou's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I noticed that a few of the cans we have do not have wheat gleuton, but my husband said to "take it ALL back." And petco was fine with that. I told them since one purina item had been recalled, I was nervous and don't want anything by that brand. I was suprised that they were so cool about it.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a bit slow to catch up on this one, but I'm really glad that we don't use Iams or Eukanuba. We never have, simply because we don't trust them. It's like junk food for your pets, like Whiskas, or anything "own brand" from the local supermarket. You'd be amazed at how many brands advertise themselves as being good for your pet, when in reality are just empty calories.

The very best thing you can do is use the foods that have been offered to you by your own vet - Hills and Royal Canin make an absolutely superb range of foods for your cat. They make foods that cater for all ages, kittens, cats, neutered cats (male and female because both sexes have different needs), foods for underweight or overweight cats, or for those who have very specific health problems.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LilleKat

I'm a bit slow to catch up on this one, but I'm really glad that we don't use Iams or Eukanuba. We never have, simply because we don't trust them. It's like junk food for your pets, like Whiskas, or anything "own brand" from the local supermarket. You'd be amazed at how many brands advertise themselves as being good for your pet, when in reality are just empty calories.

The very best thing you can do is use the foods that have been offered to you by your own vet - Hills and Royal Canin make an absolutely superb range of foods for your cat. They make foods that cater for all ages, kittens, cats, neutered cats (male and female because both sexes have different needs), foods for underweight or overweight cats, or for those who have very specific health problems.
If you check the list, you will see that one of the Hills Prescription foods has been recalled (the M/D I believe) and the recall includes many Science Diets canned varieties, as well as Nutro Natural Choice.
This is about practices within the pet food industry, not about the brand name or supposed quality of the food.

Sorry, but it just isn't safe to think that any food recommended by your vet makes it safe. I don't believe that.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

This is about practices within the pet food industry, not about the brand name or supposed quality of the food.

Sorry, but it just isn't safe to think that any food recommended by your vet makes it safe. I don't believe that.
I agree Pat....

Members....please continue to check the updated posts in the red sticky thread at the top of the Health Forum.
They contain daily updates about the recall & the pet food industry.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...=120187&page=3

It is up to all of us to remain current.
We are the guardians of our dogs and cats.
Knowledge is power.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This is purely my opinion based on what I've read and what seems to make sense to me, so.. of course it's controversial, but I tend to disagree... I'm finding more and more reasons to feed raw.. not only the results of mine on raw, but the results others have reported from feeding raw..

Everyone has to make their own choices, of course, and I just hope that all of our little four-footers are fine and dandy no matter what we pick.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Based on my vet telling me I needed to upgrade what I was feeding, then handing me a can of something with By-products as the first ingredient ... I have to disagree with this. I think the best we can do is educate ourselves and make up our own minds what is good and what isn't.

I sort of feel it's the same with the vets as it is with our (human) doctors - the drug companies and food companies offer all kinds of perks and, whether conscious or not, that influences the decisions on what to prescribe or recommend. Just MO of course.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

Based on my vet telling me I needed to upgrade what I was feeding, then handing me a can of something with By-products as the first ingredient ... I have to disagree with this. I think the best we can do is educate ourselves and make up our own minds what is good and what isn't.
I completely agree. My vet's answer to every diet based problem is RX Hills or Eukanuba. I have to do my own research and experimentation to find an appropriate diet. I'm currently reluctantly using s/d for one cat and c/d for another to get crystals under control. I'm hoping to wean both of them off those foods or use the absolute minimum amount along with their wet food to keep crystals under control.