Urgent :: Pet Food Recall... Urgent!!! - TOXIN FOUND

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Just received a sad email:

Dear Mary Anne,

First off I want to thank you so much for your efforts to help me socialize Tawny the feral cat. You may not remember me but we worked together years ago through email. It took about 6 months to break through and gain Tawny's love.

She died yesterday victim of poisoning. Sad isn't it? When I rescued her she was in danger or being poisoned by the apartment manager who had found his end with all the feral cats. Ironic, that when I found out about the poisoning, I rescued her and several others too. Now, ironically she is dead from poisoning.

They tried hard to save her, they really did. I don't blame my vets. I blame myself for not protecting her as I told you I would-

Vickie

I have been talking with people via email and on the phone about their personal battle they are facing now. Many stand to lose these animals who they have shared their love and life with freely. I hear no anger in the words or the voices, I only hear bewilderment- how could this happen?
Hissy, that's so sad.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Javern

If you have proof or information that PETA is involved in this instance you should report it to the authorities. A few PETA employees in North Carolina mistreating animals is quite different than poisoning a whole food supply. It's well known that in China they use many chemicals that are not allowed nor used in the USA and Canada. I feel this is some sort of tragic accident.
Please read through the entire thread before jumping to conclusions.

No one here has said that PETA is responsible. What is being said, is that they are capable of and have the mindset to do things of this nature. I provided an example of what this organization condones and is capable of. Who do you think paid for the high dollar defense attorneys for the PETA employees? I also don't think killing 22 or more animals is just "mistreatment".

I also posted in this very thread, that the wheat was most likely poisoned in China in order to keep the rats from eating the grain and that I didn't think PETA could have pulled something off of this magnitude.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At worst this is a case of total and absolute negligence and greed... not terrorism. There is a feasible explanation for how this happened, and its much simpler than terrorism, and that is that some idiot put rat poison on the wheat or whatever ingredient to keep rats from eating all their product because that was the easiest way to deal with the problem. Anyone who's ever been near a grain silo knows how the pest problem is, and on a ship in China I imagine it's worse. So the company imported it, quite possibly even marked that it was not for human consumption just like the meat here they use anyway is, and it got into the food.

Ockham's razor-- there is absolutely no reason to make this more complicated and tragic than it already is, and there is absolutely no evidence of intentionally killing pets here, just random internet speculation.

b842001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just makes it more clear that our country would rather inport junk from slum lands such as China rather than utilize what we have in the USA.We import all this garbage from these places who dont have heath departments to over see what they do and pets and even people in the past have dies from this garbage. Look what happened at the one convienance store chain a few years back when they used tomatos from Mexico or the restaurant chain that used the onions from another country contaminated by fecal matter. But they continue to import this foregn garbage from these filthy places china included.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hissy- perhaps when this all goes over we should mark a day of rememberance for these animals on TCS. I too can feel the intense pain of the owners, if nothing else we should celebrate the lives of the wonderful animals and the bravery of their owners.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

hissy- perhaps when this all goes over we should mark a day of rememberance for these animals on TCS. I too can feel the intense pain of the owners, if nothing else we should celebrate the lives of the wonderful animals and the bravery of their owners.
I love this idea. I think to take away the "they are just pets", an anonymous, unemotional fact...it should be a photo garden...with pix of pets lost, 5-10 sentence descriptions of who they were, the cats who were a childs best friend, the older cats that went through thick and thin with us, the dogs with that boundless joyous love they have.

I think there needs to be a visual impact for all the agencies to see. I would love if tcs could take on this project.

It needs to be made clear, pets mean so much to so many, it is not a loss to be swept back into quiet memory as fast as possible.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Just received a sad email:
First off I want to thank you so much for your efforts to help me socialize Tawny the feral cat. You may not remember me but we worked together years ago through email. It took about 6 months to break through and gain Tawny's love.She died yesterday victim of poisoning.
MA, this is so very sad. I know how hurt my friends are, at the loss of their bobcat, Baby Blue. So many beloved pets dieing from this unfortunate accident

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

I love this idea. I think to take away the "they are just pets", an anonymous, unemotional fact...it should be a photo garden...with pix of pets lost, 5-10 sentence descriptions of who they were, the cats who were a childs best friend, the older cats that went through thick and thin with us, the dogs with that boundless joyous love they have.

I think there needs to be a visual impact for all the agencies to see. I would love if tcs could take on this project.

It needs to be made clear, pets mean so much to so many, it is not a loss to be swept back into quiet memory as fast as possible.
That is a fantastic idea! I know we have lost a few animals locally, and I'd be willing to contact the local news (where I read of our local animals) and try to contact their owners.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the idea of making some sort of positive action. We can dwell in the negativity and pain so much.
Ironic that you mentioned a garden...when my childhood cat died at the age of 20 (I call her my kitty soul mate, because she was) I built and planted her a rose garden and planted a special rose in her honour. The work and time with memories really helped the pain, and now I have something beautiful to represent our love.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I put this letter in the other threads but here it is again

P&G Pet Care Update on Menu Foods Recall

P&G Pet Care Update
March 22, 2007
We want to provide an update on the recent recall of “wet†pet foods
produced by Menu Foods, Inc.
We are deeply saddened by this situation. We know it has caused a lot of
concern and has touched pet lovers throughout North America, including our own
employees. Weâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve received a lot of questions, so we want to give you the
latest information.
First, we want to assure you that this recall affects only a small portion
of our “wet†pet food products manufactured at the Menu Foods plant in
Emporia, Kansas. We have a variety of canned wet food products that are currently
available on store shelves that are not affected in any way by this recall.
We also want to assure you that our Iams and Eukanuba dry foods are not
affected by the recall, and are readily available in stores. These foods are not
part of the recall – there are no concerns at all about dry food. P&G
manufactures Iams and Eukanuba dry foods at our own plants, not at Menu Foods.
You may wonder why some “wet†food was produced at Menu Foods. In fact,
virtually every pet food company commonly uses outside partners for special or
small volume items. Nonetheless, the different branded products made by Menu
are not “the sameâ€. Our Iams and Eukanuba pet foods have unique recipes and
important ingredient differences that distinguish them from other pet food
brands.
Because of our concern for pets and their well-being, we took immediate
action to voluntarily participate in Menu Foodsâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] “wet†food product recall and
to work with retailers to get the small portion of our “wet†products
affected by the recall off all store shelves in the U.S. and Canada.
Until the root cause of this pet health issue is found, we will not produce
any more of these products at the Emporia plant. Weâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll keep you updated when
we have more information.
Pets are an important part of all of our families. P&G Pet Care employees
share your concerns and are firmly committed to you and the health of your pet.
We are working hard to respond to your questions, and provide the
information and help you need. We value your trust and confidence during this extremely
difficult time.

P&G Pet Care

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'd like to positively contribute too......i like the idea of the photos of RB kitties

polar_desire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To date the only recalled pet foods are the ones that containe chunks...and it only affects the 2 plants in Emporia, Kan., and Pennsauken, N.J. not the ones located at North Sioux City, S.D., and Streetsville, ontario canada. and it is also by certain dates s well. I hope and pray for all the little kitties who have gotten sick. I am so sorry this has happened to u all and could not imagine what i would do if something happened to my Mouze. cuddles and kisses
kelly

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope that Anne will see this. I can help with this, I can not undertake it myself.

I know that it will require some heavy duty bandwidth,and that yes, there are other excellent memorial sites, but I would love to see this as a stand-alone. As at least a project affiliated with TCS and it's many worldwide members.

If preferred as a seperate site,I did some potential domain name searches, and did find that this one, which I like, is available:
wespeakforthem.com

lovely ones such as belovedpets.com were already taken.

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like that because we do speak for them.

These cats are not just pets. I never refer to any of my animals, cats, snakes and our dog as pets. I refer to them as part of our family, because they are, very much loved members of our family.

Whatever the reason for this dreadful happening, my heart goes out to everyone who is affected by it.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi,

I receive email updates from a FeLV forum. I noticed a post regarding the above (I think it was Nutro Max small bites (DRY) dog food). Some of the folks there have had urinary tract problems with their dogs after feeding it. I don't have the whole story, but thought I'd pass on the word here, for whatever good it may do. They (the people on the forum) seem to think it's linked to the tainted pet food problem. Has anyone else heard of DRY food being a problem? I myself have wondered about dry food--don't they use wheat gluten in dry cat/dog foods?

MargeCat

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i could set up some site slide show stuff with my computer. . .like a black site with TINY thumbnails of hundreds and hundreds of beloved pets and then it gets bigger with the write up when the cursor goes over them.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
you could do a quilt. each one make their own block volunteers put it together. making the blocks will help speed the healing of the guardians who suddenly lost a pet. then photograph the quilt or put it on display somewhere.

b842001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Correct me if I am wrong but many wet cat foods out there do not contain wheatglutin? Also many if not all vets are advising to give them only dry food until its all said and done. What are your opinions on this. I feed my cat Fancy Feast by Purina and from what I see the type he likes doesnt contain this stuff.

javern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fancy Feast is not in the recall, not all brands contain the wheat gluten. Even some that do however are not being recalled. Depends on where the wheat came from it looks like. Keep checking the official recall lists and also Purina's website, daily!