Urgent :: Pet Food Recall... Urgent!!! - TOXIN FOUND

oonalyl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The store I buy my cat's food from has a very unfriendly staff, disorganized displays and overcharges for everything. However, it is the only store anywhere nearby which sells "quality" pet foods. I have about 6 cans and 1/3rd of a bag of dry Wellness which I would love to exchange for anything (well, not anything, she refuses to eat anything fish related) not associated Menu, but I'd really be incredulous if they would allow me to return for full price value any item not specifically on the official recall list.

pyewackette

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How do we know other foods aren't affected though?? Like the 9 Lives choice cuts type in gravey or Friskies brand?? They say they aren't--hah!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pyewackette

How do we know other foods aren't affected though?? Like the 9 Lives choice cuts type in gravey or Friskies brand?? They say they aren't--hah!
I personally won't feed any canned food with wheat gluten right now (just in case), and if you want, check the list of foods not manufactured by Menu (another thread).

Fromms and Evangers have their own canning facility, so these are two whose canned food I would use.

oonalyl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by pyewackette

I think it has been established that Friskies is manufactured by DelMonte. Maybe I'm wrong. But some company that mostly does canned fruit. Sure, they may be getting their ingredients from the same people. How should we know? The lack of transparancy on this is very disturbing. Why can no one tell us where they get their ingredients, where they are grown, by whom? Why is this top secret?

My cat is not yet a year old and has been plagued by health problems from day one. A number of those were normal stray kitten contracting nasty stuff in the pound illnesses, but she still suffers from bizarre undiagnosable "allergies" which I'm sure are directly linked to what she is ingesting. I've gone from feeding her grocery brands to what I thought were high end foods and, while the problems are less frequent, they still persist.

A couple of years ago I stopped eating canned soup. I figured I was just being a little paranoid, a little overly imaginative, but the idea that there were these huge vats of who knows what sitting around in a factory with whatever bugs and creatures falling in and people who hated their jobs spitting or worse into them...the possibilities of what could be in there, really grossed me out.

I live in a city. I am a terrible cook. Really, I'm lucky if I can boil water without burning myself. The option of feeding myself only foods whose origins I'm aware of and preparing them myself, much less doing the same for my cat, is not a realistic option. It's not an option for a lot of people for a lot of different reasons. This is why we have government agencies which are supposed to be dedicated to making sure businesses are following regulations, protecting our food/water supplies and making sure that what we ingest is safe for consumption. Yes, Menu should be liable for all the deaths and illnesses and all associated costs and, I'm sure, for some, psychological trauma incurred by the loss of their companions. But our government carries the burden of ensuring safety codes are adhered to and, as such, they are equally liable.

techiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was at Petco yesterday (I can't stand them, but needed something and they were close). They had a lot of the recalled foods on the shelves and absolutely NO signage about the recall!! I asked the clerk why the foods were on the shelves and he said they had all been cleared with ok dates - anything affected had been removed. But to have no signage?? That really annoyed me and I will be calling Petco corporate to complain in the morning!!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine have been taking down the signs since they removed the affected food too, nothing legally or theoretically wrong with it, but ethically I think they should leave it up if you prefer not to feed those foods (but then the list has been in the paper every day too)

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by techiegirl

I was at Petco yesterday (I can't stand them, but needed something and they were close). They had a lot of the recalled foods on the shelves and absolutely NO signage about the recall!! I asked the clerk why the foods were on the shelves and he said they had all been cleared with ok dates - anything affected had been removed. But to have no signage?? That really annoyed me and I will be calling Petco corporate to complain in the morning!!
I too was amazed that in the large pet supply stores in my area, Petco being one of them, there wasn't a shred of info about the recall. When I asked a cashier about it, I got the same kind of response - all the recalled food had been removed, so what would they post a sign about? You've gotta be kidding me.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please be aware that Castor & Pollux IS made by Menu Foods!

They point out on their website that the food is not manufactured at the plant involved in the recall. That doesn't convince me that their food is ok.

www.castorpolluxpet.com

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's entirely possible that it was the same scenario in the store I visited last night (DH was with me and being rather impatient...), that they had restocked with non-recalled food. But good gosh - put up a sign saying that! I don't feed mine Nutro, and in fact we're not feeding wet food at all until there are some answers, but I sure wouldn't buy what's on the shelves just based on the assumption that it's OK! Give me something that lets me know that some idiot didn't restock the wrong stuff!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone else heard that this problem may go back 6 months?
I just heard from the owner of my Tyler's sister, who suddenly became very ill and died 7 months ago...she was being fed one of the varieties of food that was recalled, and another of her 3 kitties also died at that time.

Wah!!!! My beautiful Tamara....I hope this wasn't the cause.

debskats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry if this was posted previously in this thread, but I think I've probably missed a few of the posts. I wanted to let people know something I read in the paper this morning though.

Apparently the Veterinary Diagnostic Lab at Iowa State is one of about a dozen labs that are investigating the foods. A toxicologist there mentioned ethylene glycol as one of the toxins they're testing for. That's an ingredient that's used in antifreeze. He said the list of toxins they're testing for is short and if ethylene glycol is the cause, then the "true toll may never be known". The article in the paper didn't explain that statement any further.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't heard about it going back 6 months.

One point, I think that the companies know, and have known what the problem is. No one can convince me that with all the forensic knowledge and tests we have that they can't pinpoint a toxin in this amount of time. Even if the first test came back with no conclusive results, they would have run through the gambit of tests by now, and any toxin would have been found. There are only a small number of possibilities here. One, they know what it is and are covering it up until they find the best way to CYA and do damage control so they don't bankrupt their company...or two, it's a toxin that has never before been known to be toxic. (for instance.. to date, wheat has been known to not be toxic.. but perhaps there is a particular strain of wheat that they don't recognize as toxic but actually *is* toxic)... my personal opinion is that it's the first option. They don't care about the pets. They're in this business to make money. If they cared about the animals they would have put a temporary hold on these products when they first suspected there was something wrong, which would have been at least a week before they did the testing on their lab animals. There's also a lot less evidence for people to present if the packets/cans of affected food are gone, and the animal is long dead..no way to autopsy.. lot fewer lawsuits if there's less proof.

I also want to mention that there is almost NO regulation by the FDA on pet food. It's all right there on their website. The CVM (hope that's the right initials.. division of the FDA) assists in the minor, almost non-existent regulation of pet food. The only things that are really monitored to any degree are foods that state some sort of "health" claim..

In any case, they do not monitor any ingredient that has previously been established as GRAS (generally recognized as safe) by a panel of scientists (not even necessarily the FDA's scientists).. as long as the reason for that additive (for instance wheat gluten) is always used as a food, and never changed to be used as some sort of "medication" or a different usage..they never look at it again, unless there is a problem. They also expect manufacturers to do quality control on their products. Pet food is by no means regulated by the same regulations that human consumption foods are. The ingredients often are not human quality ingredients (and could *not* be used in any sort of human grade food). Anyway, I got off on a tangent, but.. these foods are not regulated. Really.. the small, insignificant procedures that they do.. I personally can't even call it regulation.

It's all on the FDA website. www.fda.gov under pet foods, and then a link to regulation of pet foods, and manufacturing, or some sort, but it tells you all about it.

techiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

No one can convince me that with all the forensic knowledge and tests we have that they can't pinpoint a toxin in this amount of time. Even if the first test came back with no conclusive results, they would have run through the gambit of tests by now, and any toxin would have been found. There are only a small number of possibilities here.
Real life lab tests and science take a long time - toxicology results from autopsies typically take weeks or even months. Too many people watch CSI and Law and Order and think that the results can be obtained overnight or within days and this is simply not the case.

Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

I also want to mention that there is almost NO regulation by the FDA on pet food.
I think most people are aware of that, but the FDA does not monitor a lot of things - human vitamins, bottled water - these are not monitored either. They step in when there have been issues though, as with this.

I do not believe there is a coverup or that the pet food companies "do not care about the pets." Could this have been handled better? Sure! But hindsight is 20/20. We still do not even know the facts - someone posted info from VIN in another post and that did in fact clarify a lot of questions -
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=120063
Please read!

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just spoke to customer service rep Sharon Holden at Natura Foods (Innova and Evo). She emailed me the official company statement regarding the recall.

She said the Fremont, Nebraska facility is used to manufacture dry foods. The Menu Foods facility used for canned foods is in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. The second facility owned by Natura is in San Leandro, California and is used to manufacture treat products.

This may help to clear up the confusion, but now I'm suspicious of Natura. I bought a lot of their food yesterday thinking it was safe because they controlled the manufacturing process at a facility shared with Menu Foods. Now I'm not sure.
Here is the official statement.

Here is the statement we just spoke about:

Natura Pet Products owns and operates two manufacturing facilities, including a new, state-of-the-art manufacturing plant in Fremont, Nebraska. Our plants are AIB Certified “Superior”, Organic Certified, USDA APHIS Registered and ISO 9001:2001 compliant. Natura does utilize Menu Foods to manufacture canned products; however, Natura maintains final review and strict approval of all formulation designs, including the types and quality of ingredients included. Menu Foods is responsible for quality control in its facilities, based upon their Good Manufacturing Practice process; a copy of which is on file in our offices. Natura has a complete and documented Product Quality reference on hand detailing the quality standards for each formula and can size produced under Natura’s labels. Each of our canned products are routinely reviewed and compared to the standards set out in this reference material. It is important to emphasize that: 1) the Menu Foods recall is specific to “cuts and gravy” products WHICH NATURA DOES NOT SELL, and; 2) Natura’s canned products are made at a facility which has NOT BEEN IMPLICATED IN THE RECALL. Since being notified of the recall, Natura has been in direct contact with Menu Foods management and have a 100% confidence level that our canned products in the market are healthful and safe.

Sharon Holden

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks to all for their posts, and investigating Whiskas Pouches. My next move would have been to contact the co. but I'm at work and its hard to make some phone calls. Thanks again.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by techiegirl

Real life lab tests and science take a long time - toxicology results from autopsies typically take weeks or even months.
Originally Posted by sharky

Yes tests take time but toxins in grain are relatively easy to find... ie Diamond recall it was 24 hours ....
I found this site while looking up info on grain toxins the other day. http://www.romerlabs.com/pdts_kits.html
15-130 minutes for some of the tests, I think one even says as little as 5 minutes.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't watch CSI or Law and Order, in any of it's various forms. One of our family friends, though, is a coroner, and he has pets.. and we've been talking about this. I figured he was probably a lot more of an expert than I was.. since he's got a medical degree and often deals with that sort of thing. It was his suggestion that chemical analysis' and breakdowns would be back by now.

And, if the manufacturers gave an iota about the animals, they would have at least had the stores pull and hold the affected pouches when the suspected danger to animals.. and I would guess that they suspected danger to the animals when 1 out of 4 or 1 out of 5 animals that they tested died, several weeks, at least, before they released the information.

Even if they took time to get back, I'd say they still had a pretty good idea given that they've known for weeks...a month.. perhaps longer.

tekgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whuckleberry

If anything, at least take your older cat (7 and older) regularly. Blood tests can detect many conditions early on before you notice symptoms.
Yes, I understand if the cats are older...this makes sense.

jazzpicker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm fairly new to the fourm and I am sorry to have made only negative posts concerning the contiminated catfood issue instead of being able to write and share the pleasure of living with a gang of beloved cats.

I watched the ABC news tonight and the news wasn't good. Some of the researchers have noticed a sharp rise in the number of cats with kidney disease, a 10 fold increase in recent weeks and they suspect there are many animals that aren't diagnosed yet and the numbers will continue to rise.

Also according to the news, nobody knows exactly what is causing the illness. There are many theories but nothing has been directly asscociated with the cause of the illness. Pesticides, fungal,etc.

We have a way to go before something is brought to light. In my opinion, somebody knows much more than is being told to the public but legal issues, business and other money related issues will slow the resolution of this problem.

Despite having read the lists of contaminated food I'm really afraid to use any moist food at this point. Some years ago I had a young, previously healthy "once in a lifetime cat" slowly die of renal failure and there was nothing I could do to save him. This isn't a new problem.

Hopefully, everybodys kitties are safe and sound. I'm really "upset" (I have a better word but it would be offensive) at the pet food industry for letting this happen.