Urgent!!!! My Cat Ate A Piece Of A Asian Lily 5 Hours Ago

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danni88

Forever Little's Mama
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well done for being so vigilant over the disposal of the lily! I often find myself armouring my garbage in fear of an animal or person getting harmed by it once it's found its way onto the dump. And, well done for all your great attention and care of Ducky, he probably owes you his life.

That Ducky's eating his food 36 hours after eating the lily is a very encouraging sign. My beloved, Brian, died just over a year ago from antifreeze poisoning. However, he didn't present with obvious symptoms for 24 hours, by which time it was too late, and he died four days after he had last been outside from catastrophic kidney failure. I know the initial treatment of lily and antifreeze poisoning are different but I take great comfort in the knowledge that Ducky's still nosing you up for attention and food after this length of time. I expect that you will also become hyper-vigilant about possible poisoning threats and symptoms.

This is a link to a thoroughly comprehensive site about chronic kidney disease just in case Ducky should suffer any ongoing kidney problems. To be forewarned is to be forearmed:

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

And this is a handy wee page about lily poisoning, and poisoning in general, that I've just come across:

Lily and Cat, Lilies and Cats - Are Lilies Poisonous to Cats

:sunshine:
Thank you for the links and I'm so sorry about your kitty Brian passing away. My cat Baby died from antifreeze poisoning when I was 11 which I had to witness because my mom didn't take him to a vet.

Metamorphic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Danni -- I second and third the recommendations to have Ducky checked for kidney damage. 10 years ago, our beloved Monet went into kidney failure that I'm nearly positive was due to being exposed to Lillies many months prior. Sending Ducky and you healing hugs! -- Keep us posted!

-Mette :-)

Metamorphic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Metamorphic Metamorphic there is no option to qualify a "purraise" at the moment, so I just wanted to say that I Purraise your thirding future kidney function tests, and am saddened at the loss of Monet.

:catrub:
Thank you so much Brian -- we kept Monet alive for 7 months giving him IV fluids daily from home and when his kidneys did give out, he went peacefully in my husband's arms. Eight months later we adopted this amazing black kitty Bartok shown in my avatar from a local shelter as a small kitten and he is the love of our lives --- along with our other 5 cats of course..lol..

danni88

Forever Little's Mama
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is doing so much better, pretty much completely back to himself.

danni88

Forever Little's Mama
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Danni -- I second and third the recommendations to have Ducky checked for kidney damage. 10 years ago, our beloved Monet went into kidney failure that I'm nearly positive was due to being exposed to Lillies many months prior. Sending Ducky and you healing hugs! -- Keep us posted!

-Mette :)
Im sorry about your kitty Monet.
As for Ducky I'm going to make him an appointment to have his kidneys checked in a few days when I go pick up more of his c/d prescription diet food.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I was thinking about you guys this weekend. So very happy that Ducky is going to be ok. I would recommend continuing the baby food and extra bowls of water or cups-whatever his preference is. The extra water from wet food will help him get over this hiccup faster.

That lily you showed almost looks like a tiger lily but it's still a lily. And yes keep those in the trashbag tied up good and inside the garbage can.

When I moved into my house there were lilies planted all over my property and once the plants started coming up I spent one spring pulling them out. My sister wanted them for her garden and I said no. She too had cats. I said no. You are asking for trouble planting these in your yard. So moral of the story-pull them up and don't let anyone plant them in their gardens. Even if they don't have cats. There's still ferals out there that probably travel through your yard in the middle of the night.

So very happy for you! And I second the complete Blood Count and Chemistry test. One tests blood levels and the other tests the chemistry of the organs. It's also recommended to have a blood test done when the cat is healthy so you have a baseline to go by. So it won't be a waste of money. It will just be good to have in the future when they become seniors and things start to pop up.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
You could even test his urine, whilst your there, for diabetes, etc. Or not, as was the case with Brian. I remember some hilarious efforts to tempt Brian into a basically empty litter tray, with a handful of wee round plastic beads in the corner, then suck it up his pee straight away with a pipette and rush it round to the surgery. This home urine sample kit was supplied by vet my on several occasions, because they allegedly couldn't extract any pee from him, even when he was under anaesthetic having teeth removed, hmmm. Anyway, give Ducky a thorough once over. I wish yearly health checks were free/cheap for pets - it would save a lot of future money that could go toward pet rescue shelters, say (aye, right!).

As foxxycat foxxycat says, Lilies should be avoided as garden plants. I'd even go so far as to say they should have a warning label on each & every bunch of flowers and flower stands, stating the dangers. There are far too many cat deaths. If it were up to me, I'd probably prohibit their sale altogether, we don't need lilies after all, there are plenty of other choices. I bought my mum a beautiful delicate handmade glass lily for last year's Mothering Sunday.

I also think the chemical, ethylene glycol, should be banned for use in antifreeze, or at least rule that something nasty tasting is added to it, as it's the sweet taste that attracts cats. The chemical, propylene glycol, works just as well in antifreeze and is non-toxic to cats. Why the laws aren't changed, regarding ethylene glycol is beyond my ken. My mum is aggressively petitioning, lobbying, and generally making an annoying nuisance of herself to the UK parliament about it. More than 20 cats have been purposely poisoned in her village in Devon, UK, in the last 2 years alone! Brian included. I consider his death, murder.

Oops, sorry danni88 danni88 I seem to have run off with your thread. I'm ever so happy that you knew what to do and got Ducky to the vet in good time. He has a 10th life, added to his 9, because of you.

:rock: