Urgent help needed!!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh no! You need to get your cat to a new vet and get his skin issues treated. There’s something wrong with that vet of yours.

I just took two of my ten cats in to my vet this week for dermatitis issues similar to what you describe, and both are now on a two-week treatment of steroids and antibiotics. Skin scrapings were taken and examined under a microscope to determine the type of bacteria. Allergens are the cause and none of the other cats have it.

My one cat had same thing last summer and was treated. Vet advised we’ll get ahead of it next year with meds in advance. Both cats are due back in 2 weeks for a re-check.

It is unprofessional of your vet to just assume the problem is caused by food without a skin scraping.

Boyfriend sounds like he lacks experience. He’ll learn!

L livismom1

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, that vet should have applied a warm damp compress to that kitten’s eye to soften things, then applied Terramycin generously to the whole closed eye lid, then gently rubbed it until the eye began to open. Once open eye is gently wiped with warm damp cloth and another inch of terramycin applied across the OPEN eye. He could have charged you for the tube and sent the tube home with boyfriend.

This is what you / Olivia will need to do once the product arrives. You’d have had a backup tube. It keeps.

I’m flabbergasted the vet did not think a kitten eye swollen shut would not need immediate treatment. Pus builds up behind the lid and can eventually cause damage to the eye. Let’s hope that’s not the case here, but shame on the vet.

L livismom1

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think that Oliver has an allergy to chicken. He has been living with me for a little over a year. I had him on a dry/wet/freeze dried diet with chicken being the dry food. Finally broke him off of the dry food within the last month or so. His hair was growing back and the licking and scratching was getting better. But then I found a freeze dried chicken food that he LOVES. The licking and scratching and scabby ears came back. Ugh. So I have stopped that and just waiting to see if it helps.

Right now no one around here is accepting new patients.

Olivia has tomorrow off and plans on spoiling him rotten and working on that eye. They are still young adults and on their own for the first time. And still rely heavily on the parents. Lol not for money but for stupid things like setting up appointments and wake up calls so they get to work on time.

But I get to see the kittens tonight so I will take pictures.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did not take pictures. They weren't here for long. Oliver is still freaked out that there were these awful things in his territory! He was not hostile, more scared and offended. If he keeps pouting, I may get my bed to myself and not get bitten at 2 am until I get up to feed his highness his 5th meal. Lol

These babies are so tiny. They look bigger in the videos. When Olivia went to pick them up from Scott's parents, they were filthy and crusty! Like they didn't wipe or clean them after bottles. The vet put wet food in their box and said they could start eating that!! Does that sound right? Size wise they look about 2 weeks but they have their front baby teeth.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are the babies eating well and gaining weight? Were they able to eat the wet food? If not, they still need bottle feeding.

Kittens get their baby teeth at 4 weeks, but this does not mean that they are ready to wean to kitten food. Most kittens do not wean until 5-7 weeks.

It does not sound like these kittens are ready to wean yet.

Last edited:

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know I this forum is FULL of information and I will be searching and reading everything I can but I need help now...

My daughter just called me. A friend of a friend has five 2 1/2 week old kittens. The mom died. She is picking them up tonight. Her boyfriend bought some kitten formula. But what will she need to do? Supposedly the people are only feeding them 2x a day. That can't be right?!? I have never had kittens younger than 8 weeks old but that doesn't sound right. She is freaking out!

Can some kind member give me a Needs to be done check list to get her started??
you really NEED to feed them every 2-3 hours maximum even at night,weight them everyday so that you know they’re gaining weight