Urgent help needed!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So the update right now is good and not so good.

They have very good appetites and are gaining weight. The smallest one is 178 grams and the biggest is 208 grams.

But..they are not pooping. Well one of them is. And the one with the gunky eye now is kind of swollen. So her boyfriend is going to see if his mom can get an appointment tomorrow at her vet in her neighboring city.

They think they are 4 girls and 1 boy.

I am bringing all of the Kitten Lady's videos now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are gaining weight beautifully! That part is awesome!

Do you mean the eye is swollen? I mentioned about terramycin antibiotic eye ointment in an earlier post. Now the kitten may need oral antibiotics also.

Please have your daughter read my previous post #20 about the oil and glycerin suppositories. Both may help between tonight and a vet appointment tomorrow.

Also, for the swollen eye, brew black tea and let it cool somewhat. Dip a rag in the tea and wipe the eye with it. It may help in the meantime. Warm compresses in general, but it does sound infected.

Can you give your daughter your log in info for this site so she can post and read responses on this thread? I’m worried that she is getting information hours later rather than as quickly as needed.

L livismom1

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I cannot find terramycin anywhere but on Chewys web site. Hopefully her boyfriends mom can get her vet to squeeze them in tomorrow. The thing is that they live on a farm about 40 mins one way from this town. And it would be farther to the other town.

She must be sleeping already because she is not answering my texts now. I have given her links to this site so she has them. I did send a screen shot of the olive oil info. I also read in another thread that clear pedialyte can be used in place of water. So I will have her pick some of that up to try too.

Omg I meant to post this hours ago but fell asleep.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Go ahead and order on Chewy, unless you have a Tractor Supply store nearby. They often carry Terramycin.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good updates and excellent advice! The videos are adorable - such gorgeous kittens, especially the tiger-tabby tux! They are probably mewing for mom or tummy discomfort (hungry or gassy) but could be feeling chilly. Cuddling and comfort grooming with a soft-bristled toothbrush (recommended in an earlier post) can greatly help in keeping the tinies reassured and thus more quiet. I definitely would keep them confined as is done by the mother cat. My "nest of choice" is a flat cardboard box lined with puppy pads and soft blankets inside a medium crate. I put a stuffed toy animal in the box with a small, ticking travel clock underneath and alongside (behind) the toy, I place heated rice-or-cornmeal socks that are wrapped in fluffy, microfiber towels. That mimics mom and gives the kittens a chance to self-burp. During nap time, I cover the carrier with a towel or blanket.
I keep infants simethicone gas drops on hand in case they get colicky. I add 1-2 drops per bottle. To keep bottles warm (formula should be 100-102°F ), I wrap the waiting bottles in heated rice-or-cormeal socks. When time allows, I like to frequently add cuddle sessions; I put a folded towel between the tinies and myself so I don't get too warm and I lightly cover them with a baby blanket or repurposed dish towel - they love napping like that!

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Morning update

My daughter is on her way into town to get olive oil and pedialyte. The kittens are still eating good. She clarified that it's not the same kitten pooping each time. But her boyfriend is (how to put this nicely) not very observant. She knows the difference between each kitten and writes everything down. He just feeds and helps them potty. But doesn't write it down. I have ordered litter identification bands from Chewys but they have not shipped yet. They are definitely constipated. The poop has been a bit hard. She also said that there was poop on the blanket this morning.

We don't have a Tractor Supply store within at least an hour from here.

I really do appreciate all of the great advice and support!

I will update again tonight when she feeds and weighs them.

Oh, any name ideas? 4 girls 1 boy. The boy is the one with the bad eye. I suggested Buffy, Willow, Tara, Dawn, and Xander. But Olivia pointed out that Xander lost an eye. So I don't think that is appropriate.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a one-eyed cat actor named Fred in the movie "Gifted". Our mono-ocular cat is Captain Little Bit.
If you're in a rural area, 4-Hers my ght have supplies on hand, like antibiotic eye ointment.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you also order terramycin? I’m concerned that this kitten may lose his eye if it does not get treated pronto!

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you also order terramycin? I’m concerned that this kitten may lose his eye if it does not get treated pronto!
I did order it. I am FURIOUS though. Scott (the boyfriend) called their family vet. The one they have used for many years. They wont see the kittens because they are not accepting new patients. They have openings but wont see them. I'm fuming!!!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear! I don’t blame you for being upset. I guess the only thing to do is to call around to all the area vets until someone will see them. I do understand there are none right nearby.

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do have to say that except for the eye thing, the kittens are doing good.

They each had a feeding with formula, pedialyte, and olive oil. She got 3 of them to poop. The weights are 179, 189, 193, 219, and 229.

I am also very proud of them for stepping up and doing such a wonderful job. Olivia told Scott he better get the idea of babies out of his head. Lol

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
New update...I called 3other vets and they either weren't accepting new patients or are booked for over a week. I called my vet again and used the words "puss squirting out of the eye" and they are squeezing them in tomorrow afternoon. The eye is not that bad but it got their attention. They will look at all of them too.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hallelujah! A little drama never hurts - and everybody loves kittens. The staff will all want to see the little cuties tomorrow.

Then they are “on the books“ as established patients should any issues arise down the road, and when it comes time for vaccines, etc. Ask for a group discount! 😊

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMG I need to vent! I hate the vets in my town. I haven't been able to actually speak to my daughter as she works retail and can't talk till she gets off work. But here is her text.

They said the cream (the antibiotic ointment I ordered from Chewys) would work for Xander (looks like the Buffy theme might stick). They didn't do anything for him. They just said to gently rub it with a warm damp cloth.

Um am I expecting too much? Am I crazy to think they could have cleaned the eye up, opened it, and maybe treated it?

The weights ranged 215-252. I don't know if they verified age or deformed them. Probably not.

I think I'm going to explode!!!

Edit to add...they know the Terramycin wont be delivered until tomorrow.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The common rule is not to open the eye of a small kitten before it opens on its own. Yours are three weeks, are they not? I don't recall your having said he had opened his eyes, but at three weeks, it is a bit late. Nonetheless, I wouldn't do it, but let a vet do it if he feels it necessary. That having been said, I think it should have been cleaned on the outside and treated with ointment.

As to the terramycin ointment, normally one wouldn't use human medicines for veterinary use, but use your own judgment. If you feel you can't wait (maybe you can call the vet to see if it's okay), I found it available at CVS and I suppose most big-box pharmacies as well as mom-and-pops would carry it as well.

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The common rule is not to open the eye of a small kitten before it opens on its own. Yours are three weeks, are they not? I don't recall your having said he had opened his eyes, but at three weeks, it is a bit late. Nonetheless, I wouldn't do it, but let a vet do it if he feels it necessary. That having been said, I think it should have been cleaned on the outside and treated with ointment.

As to the terramycin ointment, normally one wouldn't use human medicines for veterinary use, but use your own judgment. If you feel you can't wait (maybe you can call the vet to see if it's okay), I found it available at CVS and I suppose most big-box pharmacies as well as mom-and-pops would carry it as well.
His other eye is open. The one eye is swollen shut and puss has oozed out. The terramycin was recommended in here and bought through Chewys. It is for dogs, cats, and horses.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His other eye is open. The one eye is swollen shut and puss has oozed out. The terramycin was recommended in here and bought through Chewys. It is for dogs, cats, and horses.
I just made the suggestion since you seemed so worried about immediate treatment, it will take some time for the shipment to arrive and that the vet didn't put anything on the eye.

I'm no pharmacologist, but I have the sneaking suspicion the two terramycin ointments are the same.

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just made the suggestion since you seemed so worried about immediate treatment, it will take some time for the shipment to arrive and that the vet didn't put anything on the eye.

I'm no pharmacologist, but I have the sneaking suspicion the two terramycin ointments are the same.
Sorry I read it wrong. That's what I get for posting here while also working. Lol I will have to see if our Walgreens carry it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
V vince and L livismom1

Human and animal terramycin are likely the same, but a quick check of my local Walgreens and Walmart do not carry it in the store. Anyway, Chewy will get it there tomorrow. Meanwhile, I assume Olivia is keeping the eye cleaned of pus.

Olivia’s mom, I totally agree with you that the vet should have treated the eye in the meantime. It’s ridiculous that he did not. I would have insisted.

Did they check or treat for ear mites, worms, fleas?

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
V vince and L livismom1

Human and animal terramycin are likely the same, but a quick check of my local Walgreens and Walmart do not carry it in the store. Anyway, Chewy will get it there tomorrow. Meanwhile, I assume Olivia is keeping the eye cleaned of pus.

Olivia’s mom, I totally agree with you that the vet should have treated the eye in the meantime. It’s ridiculous that he did not. I would have insisted.

Did they check or treat for ear mites, worms, fleas?
Yes they checked for fleas and mites an dewormed them.

If Olivia or I had been there, we would have but it was her boyfriend.

They are supposed to be one of the best animal hospitals in town but I often leave p'd off. I took the 8 year old cat in last month for his yearly and to address either an allergy or skin/parasite issue because he has licked the hair off the back of his front legs and belly and has scabs on his ears from scratching. No concern about allergies or his skin. No examination. Just tried to make me feel bad for feeding freeze dried raw and wet food an not science diet or royal canin. Then tried me to agree to cat prozac. UGHHHH