Upper Respiratory Symptoms & Diarrhea

Casey.daun4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has had runny nose, sneezing, her third eye lid so swollen it nearly covered half the eye, and she sounds very congested when breathing. She has also had diarrhea while being sick. We saw the vet after one week of these symptoms, she gave her an antibiotic shot, and antibiotic eye ointment. She also had an FIV/FeLV test which was negative. She suggested it could be some thing viral. It has been nine days since that appointment, her eyes look better but she is still having the congestion, runny nose, sneezing, & diarrhea. I went to the pet store yesterday and picked up probiotics for her so hopefully that will help the diarrhea. Anyone else have an experience similar? If she said it could be something viral, what could that something possibly be?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could be Feline Herpes, and sometimes when they have an outbreak, it's like a human version of a cold. Antibiotics don't help because it's a virus, not bacterial. Sometimes it's actually both. OR, it could actually be seasonal allergies :sigh: Is it that t me of year where you live?

have you called your Vet back to tell them she is still congested, etc.

Here is an article on Feline Herpes, if you're interested: Feline Herpes And Rhinotracheitis

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Casey.daun4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in Virginia so yes it is definitely that time of year. The weather is never steady, we had 80 degree days in February and just the other day it was 16 degrees below the average for this this month but it's 92 right now! I have never thought of feline herpes. I have not called my vet back. I'm considering switching, I'm tired of every time I go there they're just throwing out things that cost money with no real answers to her problem. Like this time, she said it could be something viral, had no specifications as what, but still gave her antibiotics and then tried to go ahead with other things without asking. Before I knew it, $300.

Charlene Giles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Bengal has these symptoms. He's had 3 rounds of antibiotics for a chest infection, 3 rounds of revolution, and still has chronic diarrhea and sneezes. He sneezes a lot too. Boogers come out on large amounts. I should mention I bought this cat about 3 months ago and I brought him home this way. He's feeling a lot better. He was VERY lethargic and would t eat. Vet said he was allergic to his food. I have him on Orijen cat and kitten food. He's doing SO much better. Minus Diarrhea. My vet thinks it's from Tritrichamonas which is common in bengals. But is apparently very contagious. I don't know if this will help but I am going through the same thing. I'm sorry you are going through this