Update: Pixie Has Pneumonia, And I Want/need To Cry

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hubby is prone to pneumonia because he has asthma. Often, the fluid is built up due to inflammation in the lungs and being sedentary. This is why many older adults are prone to pnuemonia. They are not as active. Also, heart issues can cause fluid retention as the heart isn't strong enough to pump all the fluid around the body. This is my limited knowledge from dealing with heart and lung problems with my husband.

Pixie_kitttie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The lungs get wet because the infection causes the little air sacs in the lungs to get inflamed, which in turn makes them fill with fluid. Make sure Pixie is drinking plenty of water I know many patients think being dehydrated will dry out their lungs but it'll make things worse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: I spoke with Dr. Mac on the phone today. First, there isn't fluid in his chest, so that is good news. She also says Pixie is improving slowly, and we are going to put him on another broad-spectrum antibiotic while continuing the prednisone every other day. We are all hoping he doesn't react to the new antibiotic as he has a history of medication reactions. Tonight he finished all of his dinner with enthusiasm. She also said this will take awhile for him to get better and clear up, and feels good about his prognosis. Pixie_kitttie Pixie_kitttie I'm glad he already drinks a lot of water, I give him fresh filtered water everyday. He also eats wet food at breakfast and dinner, so I'm glad staying hydrated helps them out a lot.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Woohoo!! So glad to read there is no fluid in his chest!! What a relief! Getting over pneumonia is serious business and it can take awhile for them to get better, especially if they have other chronic conditions. Celebrate the baby steps like eating with a good appetite tonight. Sounds like he's on the right track and you've got a good vet.

Pixie_kitttie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww sleepy Pixie is so cute! It's a relief there's no fluid in the lungs!! The steroids are an anti-inflammatory so that's going to maker him feel instantly better (breathing wise) while the antibiotics take care of the infection. Also, a side effect of steroids os increased appetite, which will be good for Pixie.

Which antibiotic is he on now?

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: I think Pixie is finally coming over the hump, he is much more himself today than he has been for nearly a month. He played while I warmed up his dinner, and he scarfed it down enthusiastically and had second helpings. He also fought hubby and I with all his strength when it was time to give him his medicine so I know he is feeling better when he is fighting us like that over medicine. He is 16 pounds of muscle so it took a few tries along with humor on our part. He is sleeping on a full belly as I type this, I'm sure he will be up in an hour or so wanting to play. Pixie_kitttie Pixie_kitttie Thank you :redheartpump: I see the difference in his breathing with the prednisone big time, he's been eating like crazy, and he's drinking water really good too. I'm glad he will have the increased appetite as the vet and I are trying to get more weight on him. The antibiotic he is on is Enrofloxacin.

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom stephanietx stephanietx Pixie_kitttie Pixie_kitttie silkenpaw silkenpaw Jem Jem Update: Pixie had a follow-up with Dr. Mac yesterday morning and everything is going very well. I really do think the enrofloxacin is the antibiotic that has worked the magic along with the prednisone helping him breathe. Dr. Mac said she really had to listen hard to hear his breathing, and says this is a good sign. I would say at this point Pixie is 75% better. Dr. Mac and I agreed to another set of x-rays in two weeks to make sure Pixie is completely better, and to help ease both of our minds. Pixie has also gained weight, he is now 16 pounds and 6 ounces. Dr. Mac says the weight gain is a good sign that he is eating well, he has had significant weight gain the last six weeks. He has gained 1 pound and 5 ounces. We both agreed that he does not need to gain any more weight as it could exasperate breathing problems and could cause diabetes. I guess it's time to cut back on his snacks before bed time. He is so much more himself than I have seen him be for a very long time. Thank you again for your love and support :wavey:

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom silkenpaw silkenpaw stephanietx stephanietx Jem Jem Pixie_kitttie Pixie_kitttie
Another update: Pixie had another follow-up with Dr. Mac this morning with more x-rays. The good news is that the infection is gone. All this week Pixie has been himself, back to playing, being affectionate, sitting in our laps, and demanding lots of petting. Early this morning he woke me up with a soft meow and cuddled on my chest while purring quite loudly and kneading me like crazy. I pet him for awhile, and then he went and did the same thing on my husband. Back to the vet visit, Dr. Mac says Pixie has chronic asthma and allergies. The x-rays now show chronic asthma with inflammation in his airways. The radiologist is going to review the x-rays, and then Dr. Mac is going to discuss with us how Pixie's asthma/allergies are going to be managed to help him feel more comfortable. We are all hoping managing this will help prevent him from becoming this sick in the future. When Dr. Mac listened to his chest this morning, she said she didn't hear anymore wet sounds you hear with pneumonia, but could hear some 'tubular sounds' that you typically hear in asthmatic cats. In the meantime throughout the weekend, we are keeping Pixie on the prednisone until Dr. Mac comes up with a management plan after the radiologist's report comes back. Hubby and I discussed all of this when we got home, and we are going to push for a getting a prescription for a nebulizer.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great news that Pixie is feeling better! I know of several who've managed asthma in their cats with success. :yess::heartshape:
I'm sure with great people like you caring for Pixie, it will be another success story!:rock:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is so wonderful! I have a cat with chronic allergies and one with chronic asthma. We give an allergy med daily (generic claritin) and my asthma kitty gets a shot of methylprednisolone about twice a year. That keeps her symptom free for about 6-8 months. We also give all our kitties colloidal silver twice daily to help their immune system.

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad Pixie is doing better!!!! Does your vet have a plan for the chronic asthma/allergies yet?
Pixie_kitttie Pixie_kitttie Dr. Mac and I talked the other day about management. It turns out Pixie has fibrosis in his lungs, and is a COPD cat. He will likely be on prednisone for the rest of his life, and we have talked about using the Flovent inhaler for him as well. We have an appointment tomorrow morning with Dr. Mac, she is going to listen to his breathing and talk with hubby and I more about management. It turns out he has a few food allergies as well: chicken, turkey, and fish. I'm going to ask her about allergy medication as his nose is always running. The stuff coming from his nose is always watery and clear, and it seems like he always has the sniffles even after taking prednisone. I will give another update after tomorrow's appointment.

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here is the latest update. We went to see Dr. Mac this morning for a follow-up and to talk about management. Pixie has fibrosis in his airways and lungs, so he is a COPD cat. He will always have a prescription for prednisone which we give him every two to three days depending on how he is doing. We are in Florida, and the heat and humidity affect his breathing so most of the time he gets prednisone every other day. During the winter months with cooler air, Dr. Mac said he may only need the prednisone every three days. Dr. Mac also prescribed the Flovent inhaler to use with the aerokat mask which will help him big time. As for allergies, he is allergic to chicken, turkey, and fish. We are experimenting with other protein sources for him, and I see improvements already. We introduced rabbit which he really enjoys, and he has always been a fan of lamb so we are continuing to serve him lamb as well. We tried out venison this morning, and it didn't seem to be his thing. We have completely taken him off of kibble for two reasons: the kibble he was eating contained both chicken meat and chicken fat, and due to the fact that wet diets are better for cats, and it will be easier to keep him hydrated on the wet diet. He is doing really well these days, he is back being super social and holding our laps hostage every chance he gets. Thank you Furballsmom Furballsmom stephanietx stephanietx Pixie_kitttie Pixie_kitttie silkenpaw silkenpaw Jem Jem for your love and support!:bouquet:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad he has you! And that he's doing better!!! :rock:
You are truly an angel for being there for him, and giving him......everything!:angel:
So much love for you!!:heartshape: