Update: Pixie Has Pneumonia, And I Want/need To Cry

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! In a previous post earlier in the week I wrote about Pixie being diagnosed with bronchitis and asthma after chest x-rays and Dr. Mac listening to his chest along with sleepiness after taking prednisolone. The x-rays were sent to a radiologist, and it turns out Pixie has pneumonia and is quite sick. Dr. Mac called me today and we talked about the next steps for treatment and follow-up.

Dr. Mac: So how is Pixie doing?
Me: Well, he hasn't had any coughing fits and hasn't opened his mouth to breathe since giving him prednisolone. He still is quite stuffy and is still sneezing a lot, and he's tired.
Dr. Mac: I have the results from the radiologist for his x-rays. The report is saying it's bacterial pneumonia. I want to start broad spectrum antibiotics right away, and keep giving him the prednisolone. The antibiotic is a liquid...
Me: Okay. Do you have the antibiotic in pill form by chance? Pilling him at this point will likely be easier for both Pixie and myself. He really fights me when I give him the prednisolone, and I'm afraid he will spit out the liquid when I give it to him. I'm just concerned he won't swallow enough medicine, and he has FIV which is something I'm worried about. He is 15 pounds of muscle, and is strong when he fights.
Dr. Mac: Yes, he is a big boy. I see what you're saying, and I'm concerned about him having FIV as well. How about this: We can give him the liquid antibiotic, and we can give him an antibiotic shot that will last for two weeks in his system. That way, we know he is getting the medicine he needs. Right now I need to you to monitor him very closely, and tell me of any changes. I also want to do some blood work to see if there are other issues we need to address. After his antibiotics, I want to retake x-rays. I also want to listen to his chest in a couple of days.

So he has an appointment for Saturday to go in, get his antibiotic shot, get his chest listened to, and get some bloodwork done. I do believe he is having CBC and blood chemistry done. My husband was able to pick up his liquid antibiotic after work today so I gave it to Pixie this evening. I know I'm being a 'drama mama' but I'm worried sick! He is sleeping next to me as I type this. I gave him lamb for his dinner because it's his favorite, and he just kind of 'snacked' and went back to sleep. Earlier I cried, and I want to cry again! I'm just so worried and I have a horrible headache just thinking and worrying about it. It just makes me so sad my boy is so sick, and I'm worried about his FIV :bawling::bawling::bawling:

I'm sorry the post is long, and that it is so sad.....

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you and Pixie are going through this, and you are NOT being a drama mama! You are being a GOOD mama! For what it is worth, your vet sounds pretty diligent, it sounds like you both are in good hands. It is okay to cry! We often cry for much, much less - they are our babies! And YOU are doing a great job caring for Pixie! :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'm so sorry to hear about this!
You all have my very best wishes, thoughts and prayers!!
I am so sorry you and Pixie are going through this, and you are NOT being a drama mama! You are being a GOOD mama! For what it is worth, your vet sounds pretty diligent, it sounds like you both are in good hands. It is okay to cry! We often cry for much, much less - they are our babies! And YOU are doing a great job caring for Pixie! :redheartpump:
Thank you for your responses and support! I am so glad there are others out there that love their kitties that same way I love Pixie!

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are going to see Dr. Mac this morning. I will let you know what she says. Thank you for your support :redheartpump:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you get the antibiotic shot (Convenia)? That can tend to make them very lethargic. My girl had pneumonia when she was a kitten and she is alive and doing well 13 years later. It takes a lot of time for them to get well.

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you get the antibiotic shot (Convenia)? That can tend to make them very lethargic. My girl had pneumonia when she was a kitten and she is alive and doing well 13 years later. It takes a lot of time for them to get well.
He got the Convenia shot just this morning. Dr. Mac says he is exhausted from the illness.

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear Convenia works and that you still have your cat 13 years later :-)

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This morning's appointment went really well. He got a Convenia antibiotic shot and also had blood drawn for CBC with differential, so right now he is on the oral antibiotic Veraflox, the Convenia shot, and prednisolone. Dr. Mac said his chest sounds better than it did last week, and is still having us watch him closely. She said she is going to take another set of chest x-rays in two weeks to see how he is doing as pneumonia will sometimes linger. She says he has a good chance of recovering and getting better, and that he will be very tired the next few weeks. He gets up to eat his meals and use his litter box and then he sleeps. He won't leave my side right now, he is sleeping next to me as I type this. He's been climbing into my lap and sleeping in bed with me all night. I'm relieved he's going to be okay, and thank God for Dr. Mac! This is the second time she has saved his life, and I'm glad I took him in when I did last week. Thanks again to everyone on here for your support! I will keep y'all updated. :grouphug:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pneumonia is very hard on the body. All their energy is spent on getting well and fighting the infection, so Pixie will sleep A LOT. Also, the Convenia can cause excessive lethargy. (BTW, I am not a fan of Convenia, but in some cases it does work.) It took Hannah almost a month to feel completely better, but I saw baby steps of improvement daily. It was a VERY difficult time. She was in isolation from our other cat because we had recently adopted her and not introduced them. I never knew daily when I went in to see her if she survived the night. I am glad he's being somewhat social and staying near you. Make sure he continues to eat and potty normally. His body needs all the rest since that's when their little bodies heal.

Tabasko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was wondering if I could ask you acouple questions.. what were the beginning symptoms? How long has this been happening? And what could I be roughly facing financially for a similar thing? My cat has had a cough and bad poop for abit but I'm financially dead.

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tabasko Tabasko I second the links Furballsmom posted, those are great resources to help you. The symptoms were somewhat vague, we were shocked to find out how sick Pixie is. Last week out of nowhere he was sneezing and he had a dry, hacking cough, and started breathing with his mouth open. He was also doing a lot of crying at night, and hubby and I felt something wasn't right. The vet told us a few different illnesses include these symptoms so Pixie had a few tests done to rule other things out. However, Pixie never had any issues with poop. I'm not a vet and therefore, I can't give any medical advice/guidance. I will say this though: If you feel something is off with your cat, take your kitty to a vet. Good luck, you are both in my thoughts and prayers.

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pneumonia is very hard on the body. All their energy is spent on getting well and fighting the infection, so Pixie will sleep A LOT. Also, the Convenia can cause excessive lethargy. (BTW, I am not a fan of Convenia, but in some cases it does work.) It took Hannah almost a month to feel completely better, but I saw baby steps of improvement daily. It was a VERY difficult time. She was in isolation from our other cat because we had recently adopted her and not introduced them. I never knew daily when I went in to see her if she survived the night. I am glad he's being somewhat social and staying near you. Make sure he continues to eat and potty normally. His body needs all the rest since that's when their little bodies heal.
I

I'm so glad Hannah survived, and reading your post gives me a lot of hope and reassurance. Dr. Mac told us the same thing you wrote in your post: Pixie will sleep A LOT. Today he continued to stay nearby, and spent a lot of time sleeping on his window seat, and on his favorite blanket on the couch. He is still getting up for his meals and using his litter box so I'm happy about that. You are right about that Convenia shot, it really does make them lethargic. For the short periods of time he is up, you can tell he is out of it. Thank you for sharing your experience, and I'm so glad Hannah is still with you :hearthrob:

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom and stephanietx stephanietx Pixie is breathing better and getting around a little bit, which is great! The blood test came back within normal ranges so that is good news. He has developed diarrhea and has had some accidents because he can't hold it. I called Dr. Mac today to let her know and she said the diarrhea is likely caused by the Veraflox oral antibiotic. She told me to stop giving it to him since he had the Convenia shot on saturday, and she gave us probiotics to sprinkle on Pixie's food. The probiotic is the Purina Forti-Flora for felines. He scarfed it down happily, so I'm hoping his belly feels better soon. He is still resting a lot...still staying close, and still sleeping in the bed at night with me. He does try to play and run around, but quickly gets tired and comes to us for cuddles and sleep. He did some loafing by my hubby's feet this evening while I was preparing dinner tonight