Update MC Kitten with diarrhea

nyholli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve made 2 posts seeking advice about my Maine Coon kitten that had diarrhea since 10/1; the day he came home. PCR testing came back Coronavirus positive and Clostridium perfringens positive in the millions. Vet states the c. perfringens level is most likely the cause of his diarrhea since he is responding beautifully to Tylan powder antibiotic. Still is soft but formed and going 3-4 x a day instead of 8 (water mush). He started the Tylan powder Saturday 11/2. My biggest concern is the coronavirus +. I asked about the possibility of developing FIP and her statement was the PCR showed a level of exposure and it was not high. WHAT could that mean? What about my 10 yr old kitty? I had so many questions when I hung up the phone. Any experiences or advice to share? Thank you again for sharing your experience with me.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry you are worrying and that the kitten has been sick. I have an FIP kitty too and have dealt with Coccidia many times with rescues. I am not a vet but my understanding of the corona virus and FIP are that young kittens and very old cats with weakened immune systems are the ones most often affected. I have cats that are much older than ten but I only worry about keeping my FIP cat away from my Felv cat. FIP is not as serious as once thought. My Felv cat is not in active illness but I must be more careful with him and with the two coming in contact with each other. I love them both so we do balance it all out. Exposure may not necessarily mean it will develop into active illness but if your older cat gets sick, you may need to watch the kitten and avoid him being exposed. We are not dealing with coronavirus here so I can’t offer any experience with that. My vet tells me that my FIP cat can be around my other healthy cats. I also kept my Coccidia cats in another room until cleared of the problem. Retesting was just a matter of taking in a fresh stool sample. Making sure to clean litter boxes often and practice good hand washing and cat bedding washing is important too. That’s true anyway though. Once the Coccidia was gone I did a good cleaning of everything.
I know that , often, when I get news from my vet, I hang up and then think of a hundred questions I did not ask. I would advise you to sit down and make a list of questions and then put in a call to the vet or even take the list to the vet office to get all your concerns addressed. If the vet has a website or email, you can even do it that way. I would absolutely get them to answer any of my concerns. You may not need to be worried at all but since we all love our kitties, we always worry if we have questions. It’s always better to get the information you need.
A Maine Coon kitten? Awwww! I adore them. I have a couple that are part Maine Coon. No longer kittens though. I hope the baby will quickly recover. I’m sorry I had not seen your previous posts. You can always send me a private message or type@ and then my screen name if you want to talk. This is a great website and I am sure others will be along to respond. Welcome to the site and please update us on the kitten!
Maybe kittychick kittychick or Furballsmom Furballsmom could check in here too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nyholli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can always send me a private message or type@ and then my screen name if you want to talk.
THANK YOU! I may ask them for an email address, that’s a great idea.
. In studies done in North America and Europe, only between 0.3-1.3% of cats had FIP.
Thank you. That makes me feel a little better. So overwhelming! I’ve always been an adopter... dogs and cats. I always MC were amazing animals and my teenage kids really wanted one. I just want him to be healthy. I’m trying to read up on the coronavirus and this bacteria that plagued him so bad. The whole situation “sucks,” but I’m determined to make him healthy.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry you are worrying and that the kitten has been sick. I have an FIP kitty too and have dealt with Coccidia many times with rescues. I am not a vet but my understanding of the corona virus and FIP are that young kittens and very old cats with weakened immune systems are the ones most often affected. I have cats that are much older than ten but I only worry about keeping my FIP cat away from my Felv cat. FIP is not as serious as once thought. My Felv cat is not in active illness but I must be more careful with him and with the two coming in contact with each other. I love them both so we do balance it all out. Exposure may not necessarily mean it will develop into active illness but if your older cat gets sick, you may need to watch the kitten and avoid him being exposed. We are not dealing with coronavirus here so I can’t offer any experience with that. My vet tells me that my FIP cat can be around my other healthy cats. I also kept my Coccidia cats in another room until cleared of the problem. Retesting was just a matter of taking in a fresh stool sample. Making sure to clean litter boxes often and practice good hand washing and cat bedding washing is important too. That’s true anyway though. Once the Coccidia was gone I did a good cleaning of everything.
I know that , often, when I get news from my vet, I hang up and then think of a hundred questions I did not ask. I would advise you to sit down and make a list of questions and then put in a call to the vet or even take the list to the vet office to get all your concerns addressed. If the vet has a website or email, you can even do it that way. I would absolutely get them to answer any of my concerns. You may not need to be worried at all but since we all love our kitties, we always worry if we have questions. It’s always better to get the information you need.
A Maine Coon kitten? Awwww! I adore them. I have a couple that are part Maine Coon. No longer kittens though. I hope the baby will quickly recover. I’m sorry I had not seen your previous posts. You can always send me a private message or type@ and then my screen name if you want to talk. This is a great website and I am sure others will be along to respond. Welcome to the site and please update us on the kitten!
Maybe kittychick kittychick or Furballsmom Furballsmom could check in here too.
Jcatbird Jcatbird didn’t you mean FIV in your response..?

N nyholli I’ve even read seen higher statistics, that 80% of cats that comes form cateries, shelters or other cats congregations have coronavirus and only a minimal fraction mutates. Don’t worry!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird didn’t you mean FIV in your response..?

N nyholli I’ve even read seen higher statistics, that 80% of cats that comes form cateries, shelters or other cats congregations have coronavirus and only a minimal fraction mutates. Don’t worry!
Yes! Thank you for posting a , much needed, correction! I did mean to type FIV.
:thanks:

nyholli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much!!! It’s been weighing on me. He is so sweet and such a love. I’m hoping the Tylan powder continues to improve his condition. It’s been a long 5 weeks and just want him healthy. Tonight I bleached down the surfaces, hard wood floors and litter pan in his room where he sleeps (with my daughter) and hangs out when we are at work.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it’s stressful. My last rescue kitten was sick too and I just wanted her well. She’s finally over Coccidia and feeling really good. It just takes time for the medicine to work. Sending you all the good wishes and good vibes we can find. :vibes::redheartpump:

nyholli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Gabe aka Baby Cat is status quo! Poop is formed but still really soft. He’s gaining weight like crazy. Just wishing the poop would be harder. Though we are far from the pure water/thick cream soup 8x day. He’s been going about 3x a day the past 2 days. He’s eating a ton of dry which is free feed and slacking in the wet. I think I’m going to have to start measuring out the dry to get more wet into him. BUT he drinks a lot. I know males and most cats should be on wet or mostly wet. Right now calories to keep him fighting and growing is most important.